Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/11/2005 1:46:24 PM EDT
Police say teen was high during deadly crash

DAVENPORT, Iowa Police say a 15-year-old Davenport girl was high on cocaine and marijuana when she killed a toddler with her car. The teen ran over 3-year-old Autumn McCleary last month as she tried to cross the street.

The teen allegedly fled the scene and was caught.

According to reports, the driver's blood and urine tested positive for cocaine and marijuana. Police say the impairment prevented her from slowing down and avoiding the collision.

The teen is charged with involuntary manslaughter and fleeing the scene of a fatal accident.

(Mark Minnick, WOC, Davenport, Iowa)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This just in.......

Thousands of Drivers just killed each other that didn't test positive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Headline should be "stoned and coked up driver...."

I don't even smoke, nor do I think people should and I can see how biased you are trying to be
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Police say the impairment prevented her from slowing down and avoiding the collision.

How would they know? Based on some BS figures. It dont matter she ran over a kid, thats the important issue.

And just WTF was a 3 yr old doing crossing the street?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This just in.......

but he can't troll with that info
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#5]
you like posting weed topics, huh?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in high school, two kids a couple classes below me were driving over the pass smoking pot, high of course.  They hit a family head on and killed them, but the two fuckers lived.    Neither pot or alcohol goes with driving.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quit it with the outrageously spun thread titles.  How about UNDERAGE UNLICENSED DRIVER ON COKE KILLS?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This just in.......

Actually, LOTS of dead drivers (and passengers) test positive in the toxicology reports from the coroner. It's just a matter of whether the intox level contributed to the collision or not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Drugs are bad, mmmkay.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

Actually, LOTS of dead drivers (and passengers) test positive in the toxicology reports from the coroner. It's just a matter of whether the intox level contributed to the collision or not.

AR15fan = Not a

Johninaustin =

WTF is "LOTS"

Is it a statistically significant number? Or anywhere close to the number of DRUNKS that kill people? Or how about compared to mobile phone usage or eating or makeup or sleeping?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have said it many times and I'll say it again: I would rather have the roads populated with pot heads than drinkers at 3:00 AM in the morning. Odds are the pot heads will not be crashing their cars.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

To get to the other side of course.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Police say the impairment prevented her from slowing down and avoiding the collision.

How would they know? Based on some BS figures. It dont matter she ran over a kid, thats the important issue.

Actually,  there are no "BS figures"  She was caught and screened thru SFST's and found to be impaired.  Just like any other drunk driver.

I love the way you blame a 3 year old for it's own death.  If the kid got away from mom than the death is perfectly okay?

Man, the lengths dopers will go to justify their vice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

AR15fan = Not a

Johninaustin =

WTF is "LOTS"

Is it a statistically significant number? Or anywhere close to the number of DRUNKS that kill people? Or how about compared to mobile phone usage or eating or makeup or sleeping?

endless posting of slanted stories gleaned from his google news alerts = Trolling
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
So coke & weed dont impair driving? It's the 30-year olds fault? I'm sure the weed only made her more cautious and the coke only made her more alert, it must be the toddlers fault then.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually,  there are no "BS figures"  She was caught and screened thru SFST's and found to be impaired.  Just like any other drunk driver.

I love the way you blame a 3 year old for it's own death.  If the kid got away from mom than the death is perfectly okay?

No I think people should be punished for running someone over REGARDLESS of whether they were on drugs or not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks, we should make Marijuana and Cocaine illegal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While not attempting to justify the "driver's" actions, how do you know the kid DIDN'T get away from mom when the only info we have available is :

"The teen ran over 3-year-old Autumn McCleary last month as she tried to cross the street."

Show me where it says the mom was crossing the street with the kid, please...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That sucks, we should make Marijuana and Cocaine illegal.

Or at least make it illegal to drive under the influence of them.  It's not in my juristiction.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

AR15fan = Not a

Johninaustin =

WTF is "LOTS"

In the fatalities I have personally worked?  21 out of 79 had measurable traces of drugs in their system.   The drugs were a direct factor in about a dozen, roughly 2/3rd's that of alcohol.  (keep in mind druggies ingest alcohol too.)   Also,  not all deaths were the driver, and impairment does not count in that instance.  They cover a variety, even Ecstasy. Though marijuana and coke prevailed.

My point is, drugs and driving don't mix.  But if that makes me a troll, so be it.  Anything to justify your habit.

I love the druggie argument. Alcohol is BAD therefore Drugs are BLAMELESS.   One of the stupidest lines of reasoning out there.

In a fatality collison, I EXPECT the toxicology report to show something. After all, clean sober people just don't kill themselves all that often.    
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While not attempting to justify the "driver's" actions, how do you know the kid DIDN'T get away from mom when the only info we have available is :

"The teen ran over 3-year-old Autumn McCleary last month as she tried to cross the street."

Show me where it says the mom was crossing the street with the kid, please...

- georgestrings

Let me get this straight.  You want to give the driver a FREE PASS on vehicular homicide because the kid's mom was not present?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
and if she crashed while under the influance of OTC medication this would most likely not been posted here or even made the news.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
and if she crashed while under the influance of OTC medication this would most likely not been posted here or even made the news.

Oh yes it would have.  Driving While Impaired and Vehicular Homicide make no distinction between legal and illegal drugs.

As an aside, the only legal use of drugs that I have ever seen lead to a fatality involved insulin. (or lack therof)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#24]
it's sad. But saying "another stoned driver kills" is giving way too much credit to the weed. Cocaine also impairs, not to mention that a 15 yo shouldn't have been driving to begin with. Where did she get the car? Did her mom leave the keys out, or maybe give them to her? Ban cars, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]
These cars are just too easy for dopers and irresponsible kids to get ahold. We should enact a registration law.... oh wait. Never mind, just ban them all and use presant registration lists to go door to door confiscating these evil destructive devices

Or we could outlaw marijuana and cocaine.

All I know is we have to ban SOMETHING, sombody died!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

addictions a bitch
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like another dumb cunt teenager fucked up.

IMO this probably has less to do with the fact that she was a druggie but that she was a dumb bitch.

Drugs dont kill people, people kill people.

Its about personal responsibility, and she wasnt responsible, she deserves worse than whatever she gets.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

Just curious, but WTF does it matter of joe sixpack in the back seat was so drunk he was passed out if johnny-teetotaler gets distracted yapping on his cell phone while driving joe sixpack home from the bar and runs into a utility pole?

Basically, why does the intoxication level of the passengers have anything to do with the accident?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I think AR has an agenda going after the DUI Checkpoint thread I started a couple of weeks back....

All of this will not change my opinion on the legality of these Gestapo Stops.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#30]
How old to you have to be to get a licence in Iowa?  I assumed she had a permit.  If so, isn't it required that an adult be in the car as well?

Not to place blame anywhere but on the wasted youth, but where was mommy and daddy?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Associated Press
October 11, 2005
A Chaska man was charged with criminal vehicular homicide in a Memorial Day crash that killed a Minnetonka woman.
Matthew Robert Weierke, 28, was charged in the death of Julie Topp, 35, the Hennepin County attorney's office said Tuesday in a news release.

Topp and her husband, Robert, were stopped at a red light in Minnetonka when Weierke's car rear-ended theirs. A State Patrol reconstruction found he was going about 73 mph at the time of impact, and a blood analysis showed he was under the influence of methamphetamine and Ecstasy, according to a criminal complaint.

The crash happened on the Topps' one-year wedding anniversary.

From today's Minneapolis Star Tribune....

Drug use is a visctimless crime though, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

Just curious, but WTF does it matter of joe sixpack in the back seat was so drunk he was passed out if johnny-teetotaler gets distracted yapping on his cell phone while driving joe sixpack home from the bar and runs into a utility pole?

Basically, why does the intoxication level of the passengers have anything to do with the accident?

It doesn't.  I'm just trying to save bandwidth and cover all the lame arguments in one go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Associated Press
October 11, 2005
A Chaska man was charged with criminal vehicular homicide in a Memorial Day crash that killed a Minnetonka woman.
Matthew Robert Weierke, 28, was charged in the death of Julie Topp, 35, the Hennepin County attorney's office said Tuesday in a news release.

Topp and her husband, Robert, were stopped at a red light in Minnetonka when Weierke's car rear-ended theirs. A State Patrol reconstruction found he was going about 73 mph at the time of impact, and a blood analysis showed he was under the influence of methamphetamine and Ecstasy, according to a criminal complaint.

Yes it is, driving under the influence is not.

Oh, and only the ignorant lump meth and ecstasy in with MJ, it's like using codeine related incidents to bash aspirin.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Associated Press
October 11, 2005

Oh, and only the ignorant lump meth and ecstasy in with MJ, it's like using codeine related incidents to bash aspirin.

Davenport, IA driver high on cocaine and marijuana, Chaska, MN driver high on methamphetamine and ecstasy....but I'm sure that both drivers would be considered model citizens here on Arfcom had they not driven.

Keep defending the dopers asshole.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
There should be a Federal Ban on killing people with cars.  If there were one, that little child would be alive today.

What percentage of traffic fatalities were caused by persons under the influence of legal drugs, illegal drugs, and no drugs?

What kind of drugs was Laura Bush on when she killed someone in a vehicular accident when she was 16?

Stats!    
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So coke & weed dont impair driving? It's the 30-year olds fault? I'm sure the weed only made her more cautious and the coke only made her more alert, it must be the toddlers fault then.

AR15fan, it is no good arguing with these pot heads. They love their drug and will argue with you till the end of time to try to prove that drugs are not harmfull and 100% safe and truly good for you! No matter what you say to them they will come back saying you are a moron and wrong. Fact is drugs fuck you up in just about every way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm surprised at how many drug addicts/dopers are on this gun board. There are quiet a few. To bad ,most sportsmen and gun owners are smarter then this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Associated Press
October 11, 2005

Davenport, IA driver high on cocaine and marijuana, Chaska, MN driver high on methamphetamine and ecstasy....but I'm sure that both drivers would be considered model citizens here on Arfcom had they not driven.

No, they're idiots. But the crime doesn't occur until they infringe on the rights of others.

And I'm really a nice guy, nobody ever calls me such things in person, and neither, I expect, would you.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Beautiful girl I lived next to in my co-ed dorm was killed a few years after graduating by a guy going the wrong way on the highway.  He probably would have gone the wrong way even if he was not high.

She now has a scolarship named in her honor Christina Comito Memorial Fund

Kent
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#40]
breaking news!!!!!!!
the figures of marijuana driving deaths vs alcohol driving deaths just in.
1 pot smkoing driving fatality to 1 bazillion drunk driving deaths
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Weed topics are like....soo last week man.

Besides, I'm tired of hearing how weed is the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

And tired of pothead "logic."
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This just in.......

so what is the agreed level of marijuana in the blood that is conclusively associated with impairment? In other words, how much marijuana in the blood is equivalent to somebody blowing legally drunk on the breathalyzer?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So coke & weed dont impair driving?

Not as much as:
15 years old
Unlicensed, and
Stupid

The drugs didn't do her any favors, but somebody that stupid has accidents, anyway.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So coke & weed dont impair driving?

Not as much as:
15 years old
Female
Unlicensed, and
Stupid

The drugs didn't do her any favors, but somebody that stupid has accidents, anyway.

fixed
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#46]
What about truck drivers that are sleep deprived who drive fall asleep and plow into someone?

What about elderly people on God knows how many meds or just too old ramming through crowds of people at open markets?

Impaired is impaired however period.................................
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I think AR has an agenda going after the DUI Checkpoint thread I started a couple of weeks back....

I have never worked a DUI checkpoint and remain opposed to them.  However it should be illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, and many Rx meds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What percentage of traffic fatalities were caused by persons under the influence...

The NHTSA stats are approximately half of all fatal accidents involve one or more driver under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or both.

additionally 60-75% of drivers in single vehicle collisions have a BAC of .10% or more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What about elderly people on God knows how many meds...

They are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.  But the same people that want it to be legal to drive on marijuana, cocaine, ecstacy and meth want it to be legal to drive on Rx meds too.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#50]
at least she was cured of morning sickness!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top