Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 1:25:08 PM EDT
Well Katrina came and went, and took part of my roof.  After several estimates on replacement, I decided to inquire about metal roofing. It is right at double what an regular roof will cost, but has a 50yr warrenty.

I like the durability and even the looks of metal, but my wife isn't convinced yet.

So anybody got pro's and cons of the metal roof on their home? How bout some pics too if available.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
New one on our house,  no problems.  You confuse me with the cost however, DOUBLE the price?  We went with metal because it was CHEAPER than traditional and had a better warranty.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
well I don't have any pic's but there is a metal roof on my home and boy does it make an attic sweltering hot in the summer. the only upside I can see to having one is the fact that you dont have to replace shingles or worry about the wood expanding and causing gaps. it does add a nice touch if the right color paint or siding is used to complement the home.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
New one on our house,  no problems.  You confuse me with the cost however, DOUBLE the price?  We went with metal because it was CHEAPER than traditional and had a better warranty.  

well a shingle roof will be about $3500 on my house, the metal one is gonna cost me $7300????

Got any PICS of yours?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Love our metal roof. Only possible drawback is possible hail storms. Will dent up and look like a hail damaged car.

Ours was prolly an extra 30% up front, but we'll get our money back in re-sale.

I'll see about a pic.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Love our metal roof. Only possible drawback is possible hail storms. Will dent up and look like a hail damaged car.

Ours was prolly an extra 30% up front, but we'll get our money back in re-sale.

I'll see about a pic.

That would be great thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well a shingle roof will be about $3500 on my house, the metal one is gonna cost me $7300????

Got any PICS of yours?

No, don't even own a camera.  It's colored to match the hardiplank. (They call it sandstone sunset or some nonsense like that, it's khaki. ) 2100 Sq foot single story house.

We built new, maybe part of the cost is removal of the old roof?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had my metal roof for about 20 years. It is great but the cost was only 400 dollars more than a shingle roof at that time.
It does get hot in the attic in the summer but the plus is the attic cools 3x faster at night in the summer. This allows the house to cool faster at night.
Yes it does get dented during a hail storm, but being in Texas, august sun pulls the dents out in no time. I just call the insurance adjuster and they right a check for replacing the metal and I wait for august to come. Last time the check was for 2600 dollars, it paid for 2 new work/reloading/gun buildings and 4 rifles. Sometimes I can't wait for the hail but then.......

Another plus is when it sleets or rains hard it sounds like bacon frying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
We're in the process of having a roof put on our house. Price for shingles $7K price for metal $11K. If I had the $ I would go with metal no doubt. The metal roof has been on my mothers house for well over 50 years
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The new metal roofs that look like shingles or shakes do have 50 year warranties, and they are really nice. Some installations are noisy. I've had a couple of friends who have installed them, neither paid twice the price of shingles but they were more.

A couple websites with photos:

http://www.atas.com/
http://www.metalworksroof.com/

I'm using them on the Garage - mahal (now under construction), and when my house needs a new roof.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input

Just like a Woman, she still can't make up her mind.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I also like http://www.pac-clad.com/

I live in NEw orelans and need a new roof  too - I am looking into aluminum panes - I also heard that with aluminum you get a cheaper Homer owners insurance.

As soon I know more I let you know
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
One of my best friends just had a copper roof put on his house. It was almost twice as expensive as shingles, but it looks gorgeous and will last longer than he will. It makes the house look so good that I be he will recoup the cost if he ever decides to sell it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in the New Orleans area and yesterday I was driving in a neighborhood and was noticing and wondered why some roofs lost shingles while others did not.  Of the metal roofs I seen, they had much more damage and were ripped off than regual shingles.  Demenional type shingles seemed to do the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top