Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2005 8:17:49 AM EDT
Do you think most men are intimidated by woman who is more successful than they are?
Would you be intimidated by a woman who earns more than you, has more/higher education than you, has more prestigious job than you, has better credit rating than you, etc.?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]

There was a thread a while ago about how you would feel if your wife/GF made more money than you.

I was quite frankly amazed at the number of people who found it unacceptable or at least really did not like it.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
<red vs blue>Pretty women make me nervous.</red vs blue>
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you think most men are intimidated by woman who is more successful than they are?
Would you be intimidated by a woman who earns more than you, has more/higher education than you, has more prestigious job than you, has better credit rating than you, etc.?  

Yes and no.  I don't think its so much that men are "intimidated" by women, but just that we instinctively know that such women are not likely to like us.  Most women marry up, and if we are not up, then you have to be worried that she just settled for you but still desires someone better.  Same reason I don't date older women.  Not that I couldn't find one that I liked, but that most women want an older man.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Not me.  I'm waiting for a woman who will support me

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Good question. I'll let you know if I ever find one.......
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it depends of course on the man but also on his level of success.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
pretty women make me vervouse
i find that women that make a lot of money and do well and arnt snobs turn me on a self sufficent women is hot

unless she leaves U for a better man

i think thats why most men like women that make less it gives them a sense of security that the women wont leave because once she does she loses that monetary support that she cant live without

if shes making her own cash though thats a different story hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not be intimidated. I just wish I could find one to support me. I tried to convince my girlfriend to support me, but no dice. I told her that I would always stay in shape, keep the house clean, and dinner cooked...but no.
If you find an intimidating successful woman send her my way!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not intimidated by them at all.  I like a woman that can support me in a manner to which I could quickly become accustomed.  As long as she was decent looking, I would let her buy me guns, a jet boat, fast cars.....

Unfortunately, most of these women are not interested in me.  I was really hot for the office manager at my old job.  She was hot and a few years older than me. I knew better than to fish in the big pond at work, but mostly I was intimidated by her.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes and no.  I don't think its so much that men are "intimidated" by women, but just that we instinctively know that such women are not likely to like us.  Most women marry up, and if we are not up, then you have to be worried that she just settled for you but still desires someone better.  Same reason I don't date older women.  Not that I couldn't find one that I liked, but that most women want an older man.  

Funny.  A friend of mine married a woman who is older than him, jus as smart as him, more educated than him and makes more money than him.  (Top it off, she is left wing and he is right wing)

Meh, probably just a fluke!!!

Edit: To head off what some might ask, yes, she is pretty.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What if you ran into Rice?  Aaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If I had me a woman that could be the primary bread winner and I was stay at home dad... that would be heaven.

I could finally get into reloading and all the other time intensive stupid shit I want to do, and not be homeless!

-G
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Only when they tie me to a tree and beat me with rabid weasels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not me.  I'm waiting for a woman who will support me

No shit.

Ladies (who are rich of course), not only am I able to change - I am out right freaking ready to.

Which one of yous stinking rich babes is ready to take me on?  

You don’t want to let this once in a life time opportunity to change a real man slip through your too-much-jewelry-wearing hands!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Talking with the wife last night.  She told me that Thurday is her annual review, and she will find out what her raise is.  She already makes twice what I do, and cloase to 5 figure bonus over the course of the year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad, but it did strike me wrong.  I'm working my butt off, still going to school to better myself, and I'm tired of the whole delayed gratification thing!

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure, some men... Not me though.

I like that my wife is successful. We pass each other up for the title of who makes more, and she's "on top" now. Does it make things different when she makes more? Nope. She doesn't listen to me any more when I make more than when she does.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#18]
On a sub conscience level I know I am. I once cheated on with a lady who was an ER RN making 70k+ a year, and was a hottie, cool as hell (even liked guns), and great in the sack. I left her for an overweight nagging girl who wasn't good in bed and  lived in a messy apartment and made 25k a year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Talking with the wife last night.  She told me that Thurday is her annual review, and she will find out what her raise is.  She already makes twice what I do, and cloase to 5 figure bonus over the course of the year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad, but it did strike me wrong.  I'm working my butt off, still going to school to better myself, and I'm tired of the whole delayed gratification thing!

What are you doing?  Going to Law school?

Be happy for your wife, don't be sore over it.  And, good luck doing whatever you are doing.  I hope it pays off in the end.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Most "successful" women are total bitches.  Women do not have the capability to be assertive & agressive in the workplace but then be a normal person outside of work.  It's one or the other.  If you look at people in high positions in large companies the guys are usually married with kids and the women are single.  Why? Because the women are bitches and they put their job before anything else... then at a certain age they think "OK, I conquered that, now for a man!" and they think men are just going to line up begging for some action, when in reality nobody wants to listen to her stupid mouth run on and on.

If your woman makes more than you just because you are pathetic, well than that's a different story I guess
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.  A friend of mine married a woman who is older than him, jus as smart as him, more educated than him and makes more money than him.  (Top it off, she is left wing and he is right wing)

Meh, probably just a fluke!!!

Edit: To head off what some might ask, yes, she is pretty.

Not saying it can't happen, just that it is somewhat rare.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the only kind of woman I want.

I'd rather know a woman is with me because she wants to be, not because I pull in, well, next to nothing now but that will change. I hate people that don't pull their own weight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Mrs. Cranium here,
 I cook, I clean, I stay at home with the kids( for the time being ), I sew.  Hell, I've even reupholstered several pieces of our furniture.  I don't do anything half a@@#$.  We have four kiddos, and I'd like to think that I don't look like I have that many.  I know how to work on a car.  I admit, I don't know much about guns, but I'm willing to learn.  I wouldn't write off a chick because she was too pretty or intimidating.  Sometimes, those are the ones worth fighting for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Mrs. Cranium here,
 I cook, I clean, I stay at home with the kids( for the time being ), I sew.  Hell, I've even reupholstered several pieces of our furniture.  I don't do anything half a@@#$.  We have four kiddos, and I'd like to think that I don't look like I have that many.  I know how to work on a car.  I admit, I don't know much about guns, but I'm willing to learn.  I wouldn't write off a chick because she was too pretty or intimidating.  Sometimes, those are the ones worth fighting for.

You da woman! w00t!  I do most of the above except the reupholstery.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#25]
No
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Reupholstery is easy, it's just an extension of sewing.  Except with a stapling gun....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If I had me a woman that could be the primary bread winner and I was stay at home dad... that would be heaven.

I could finally get into reloading and all the other time intensive stupid shit I want to do, and not be homeless!

-G

+1

And Yes, I can do it..  I have been raising my 7yo boy for the last 5 years as a single parent.  If I can do that, there is no way I couldnt be a stay home dad.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#28]
No, why should I be?  I am comfortable with who I am.  If a woman climbs the ladder and does well through her own merits then good for her, she deserves it.  It's knowledge and abilities that matter, nothing else.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I couldn't care less.

On the contrary, I find a successful woman much more attractive than one who isn't. If she makes more than me, big woop.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Intimidated, no. Generally, I just find them boring.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I saw a study that was done a few years or so ago... that said that marriages where the woman makes more than the man, have a higher chance of disolving.

Why?

It said because of two reasons..

Either the woman didn't like having to provide for the man. (Ie, she still believes in the "Man provides for me, not the other way around etc., menality). So, she left/cheated etc.

Or, the man (because of that same menality) felt very inadequete and insecure in himself, so he did something stupid (left the marriage for another woman/cheated etc.) to end the marriage.

Both reasons are stupid.... but, society still dictates that the man is the provider and shall provider, while the woman is the care giver (house, kids etc.)

As much as people like to believe we are not nature driven, we generally are. Its still deep rooted into our subconcious/instincts.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ahh.. your into the druggie, reckless, nympo stripper types.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh.. your into the druggie, reckless, nympo stripper types.

Hit.
Dump.
Run.
Change name.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What are you doing?  Going to Law school?

Be happy for your wife, don't be sore over it.  And, good luck doing whatever you are doing.  I hope it pays off in the end.

Mechanical Engineering.  

I'm not mad, it's just frustrating sometimes.   More $ = more guns!!!!!!

I know it will pay off, I just keep working at it!  Who knows, maybe someday I will get one of those registered M-16's floating around out there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Intimidated? No.

Aroused? Yes.

Just as long as they let me spend money on 'me' every once in a while - I'm fine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#36]
My younger sister is in her early 30's and is what you would call "successful".  Oh yes, she is trim and pretty (was her high school home coming queen).   She works in government technical field and does some consulting work on the side, earn 6 figures, just got her PhD, has a large house with a pool, owns a power boat, owns her own guns, loves to fish, go 4 wheeling in her jeep, has season tickets to local pro football, basketball games, etc.  

I would think this would make her very attractive to men but she was telling my wife that she wants to get married and have a kid or two soon but is having hard time meeting a man that doesn't get imtimidated by her.  She has not dated anyone seriously for past 6-7 years.  She does date a lot but none seems to last.  Her last serious boyfriend was an officer in the Navy (sub) and was away very often and never at any one place for long so it didn't work out.  

Most men she dates are from others in her field but she thinks most of those guys are too "nerdy" and "stiff" and don't know how to have fun.  She dated her mechanic for a while and was going well until he found out how "successful" she was.        

She does have several male "friends" that she goes boating/fishing with and others that she meets to go 4-wheeling but they are only 'friends".  

It seems that most men are intimidated by her when they findout her status.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Me=JBT for 7.5 years=working on 2 yr degree=mid 40k/year
GF=pharmacist for 2 years=doctorate degree=more than twice what I make a year

I got no problems with it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My younger sister is in her early 30's and is what you would call "successful".  Oh yes, she is trim and pretty (was her high school home coming queen).   She works in government technical field and does some consulting work on the side, earn 6 figures, just got her PhD, has a large house with a pool, owns a power boat, owns her own guns, loves to fish, go 4 wheeling in her jeep, has season tickets to local pro football, basketball games, etc.  

I would think this would make her very attractive to men but she was telling my wife that she wants to get married and have a kid or two soon but is having hard time meeting a man that doesn't get imtimidated by her.  She has not dated anyone seriously for past 6-7 years.  She does date a lot but none seems to last.  Her last serious boyfriend was an officer in the Navy (sub) and was away very often and never at any one place for long so it didn't work out.  

Most men she dates are from others in her field but she thinks most of those guys are too "nerdy" and "stiff" and don't know how to have fun.  She dated her mechanic for a while and was going well until he found out how "successful" she was.        

She does have several male "friends" that she goes boating/fishing with and others that she meets to go 4-wheeling but they are only 'friends".  

It seems that most men are intimidated by her when they findout her status.  

Hmmm    
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#39]
No matter how hot, successful, intimidating, powerful, or smart they are...

somewhere some guy is tired of putting up with her shit.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not unless she could also beat me at arm wrestling and shooting.

Marriage is a partnership and should be more about the US than the ME.

If the wifey makes more money, so be it. As long as the man is man enough not to let her wear the pants and the woman is woman enough not to want to wear the pants, all can be well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#42]
This issue is addressed here:  http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No matter how hot, successful, intimidating, powerful, or smart they are...

somewhere some guy is tired of putting up with her shit.

Well first, I would need the tired man's definition of "shit" that he was putting up with.

If you have to ask for a definition, then I regret to inform you that either your sense of humor has completely dried up, or your balls have retracted into your esophogus.  It was sarcasm there bud, oh wait, I didn't stumble into the metrosexual forum again did I?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Bullshit, every woman that pulls this crap out of her purse doesn't want to realize that most of her problem is her.  Intimidated? By someone that on any given Sunday, a man can outlift  or simply  overpower?
The intimidation crap comes out because they are a bitch and happy to be one. They can't understand that being a bitch 24 seven is not the way to have any life EXCEPT a corporate ladder crawling zombie queen. Ever met a really successful woman that was truly sweet?  Sexy as hell.  Trust me, I had breakfast with Amy Grant.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Ever met a really successful woman that was truly sweet?  Sexy as hell.  Trust me, I had breakfast with Amy Grant.

I don't think Amy Grant's ex-husband would agree with that statement.

Where I come from, sleeping around with a country music singer can be considered pretty "bitchy" behavior....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you have to ask for a definition, then I regret to inform you that either your sense of humor has completely dried up, or your balls have retracted into your esophogus.  It was sarcasm there bud, oh wait, I didn't stumble into the metrosexual forum again did I?

Oh..  well.. maybe your a crappy at inflection.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh..  well.. maybe your a crappy at inflection.

lol...crappy!?!?  I'm not only crappy at it.....

I don't even know what "inflection" means!  Just chalk me up as stupid

In moments like this I just refer to my sig line
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Most "successful" women are total bitches.  Women do not have the capability to be assertive & agressive in the workplace but then be a normal person outside of work.  It's one or the other.  If you look at people in high positions in large companies the guys are usually married with kids and the women are single.  Why? Because the women are bitches and they put their job before anything else... then at a certain age they think "OK, I conquered that, now for a man!" and they think men are just going to line up begging for some action, when in reality nobody wants to listen to her stupid mouth run on and on.

Wow.

I guess all I'll say is that I disagree, based on all the successful women I've known in my life.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

Just wow.  

You say that like you can't believe he feels that way because you married a successful woman.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top