User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 9:06:24 PM EDT

Lord of the Rings director gets Halo
Rating: 1/5 | Comments: 3
Print 10.05.2005 @02:50 PM
Contributed by Simon
Edited by Simon

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson will produce a film based on the uber-popular video game Halo.
The movie will be shot in Wellington, New Zealand at Jackson's Weta production facilities.

The script will come from Alex Garland, author of The Beach, while a director and cast have not yet been named.  

Universal film studios will oversee the film's production and distribution.

The film is scheduled for release in mid-2007.

Halo and sequel Halo 2 follow future fighter Master Chief as he battles an alien race.

The first game was released in 2001 and has sold more than five million copies worldwide.

According to a BBC News report, Jackson says he has been playing Halo 2 in the evening while shooting King Kong.

Microsoft, which pushed hard for a good film deal, will reportedly receive US$5 million plus 10% of US ticket sales.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
cool
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I also heard that Jackson was going to do a live action version of "The Hobbit" as well.

Anybody else heard this?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I also heard that Jackson was going to do a live action version of "The Hobbit" as well.

Anybody else heard this?

Chris

Well according to the article he is filming a remake of King Kong right now, and then Halo is supposed to start right afterward.  He may want to but how many films can he shoot at once?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody else heard this?

Chris

Well according to the article he is filming a remake of King Kong right now, and then Halo is supposed to start right afterward.  He may want to but how many films can he shoot at once?

I heard that he had agreed to make The Hobbit as well, and I demand that he do it before making yet another video game movie!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand, it's supposed to be live action and not CGI.  I stand by the idea that the only way it'll work with the Master Chief is if they take the Darth Vader concept.  Have a guy walk around in the suit, and have the guy who does the voice in the games do voice-over.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
So, how do YOU manage to keep track of threads from a week prior?

Sorry cant help about dupes that slide more than ONE day back...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From what I understand, it's supposed to be live action and not CGI.  I stand by the idea that the only way it'll work with the Master Chief is if they take the Darth Vader concept.  Have a guy walk around in the suit, and have the guy who does the voice in the games do voice-over.

I doubt it will be any more "live action" than LOTR was.  You really cant do a movie without CGI these days.  It will have live actors perhaps, but most of what you see on the screen behind those actors will be CG.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck, Ill probably still be in Iraq when it comes out. :(
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
well the hobbit was the planed for after king kong for at least the last three years
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not being a cheap shit and paying for a membership allows you to search the General Discussion. That and I've seen a number of threads about this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Anybody else heard this?

Chris

The IP rights for the Hobbit are tied up from prior animated efforts, and probably will be tough to get.

By the way, I've been enjoying the 13 hour BBC radio dramatization of Lord of the Rings featuring Ian Holme as Frodo Baggins (he played Bilbo in Jackson's movie).

Quite the nice package of MP3s, I must say.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Membership has its privileges. Spell check happens to not be one of them

eta: how did i do?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top