Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 1:50:04 PM EDT
I just heard on the radio, in England a company had all of its employees remove any referance
from thier desks and offices anything refering to a "Pig" as in calenders, stuffed animals or even
Winnie the Pooh (becasue of Piglet) that any material was "offensive" to Muslins ? WTF does
the same go for the troops in Iraq ? no bacon and eggs for breakfast ? I know American troops
have to put up with crap in Sadi (like female military personel when there off base, have to where
clothing that covers thier faces(don't know what the outfit is called) I was never stationed in
that part of the world, after all of the sh_t the troops put up with when will the US say its enough?
Can anyone that was over there shed some light on this ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in Iraq during the early days of the war, and never had a breakfast that didn't come out of a plastic bag.

However, in Kuwait we used to have some sort of sausage every morning. I don't know what it really was, but I don't think it was pork.

Equally mysterious was the "turkey" whick usually came with a vertebrae bigger than one of mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I know that in the first Iraq war, spam was removed from the soldiers MRE so as not to offend the host Saudi Arabia. If I rememeber correctly....

It's all about "conforming" and not ruffling feathers ....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in Kuwait right now and every morning I get breakfast served to me by muslims. I get scrambled eggs, bacon, pork sausage, etc...whataver I wan't. (it's all laid out buffet style and you just get what you want.)

Also, yes it is Ramadan, but they break thier fast all day long. The sneak behind a connex and eat when they think no one is looking, take smoke breaks, etc...

They aren't as dedicated as they would have you believe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
We have all of the pork products you could want- I had pulled pork BBQ for lunch today.  

Breakfast always has bacon and either pork or turkey sausage.  We have several types of ham and occasionally we get pork chops too.  We have bacon on the salad bar and bean and bacon soup some days.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know that in the first Iraq war, spam was removed from the soldiers MRE so as not to offend the host Saudi Arabia. If I rememeber correctly....

It's all about "conforming" and not ruffling feathers ....

I don't recall ever seeing SPAM in an MRE!   (wish there had been, though!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top