Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 11:01:24 AM EDT
This is tempting at Sam's Club for less than $1k, the picture looked good at the store. But I never heard of Vizio before, said the company was started by Wang, remember Wang computers?!

or stick with a brand name like Philips? This one is $1300

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
bump, for anyone who might know anything about them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you need an LCD for space reasons?

In that size range I think CRTs are a better way to go, way less money, no worries about pixels dying, better picture quality, particularly with standard definition programming (fixed pixel displays have more trouble with translating into their native resolution, CRTs can display 480i as 480p) and better contrast.

Only downside is you can only get them up to about 34" and they're big and heavy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The only LCD flat panel I'd reccomend is the sharp aquos.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Isn't visio the new Sony model to replace Wega?

M4
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably built in the same plant as many name brands.   Differences lie in what they spec.

I've seen some unknown brands that look good, and that's what counts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Neither

wow thanks for your insight post whore.

to answer the other relevant question, reason why I am looking into  LCD vs. CRT is definitely size and weight, it's about 45 lbs vs. 200lbs! Plus flat-panels look pretty
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neither

to answer the other relevant question, reason why I am looking into  LCD vs. CRT is definitely size and weight, it's about 45 lbs vs. 200lbs! Plus flat-panels look pretty

No need to act like an asshole over an honest opinion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neither

wow look at the asshole calling me an asshole. you see the smiley face. get a fucking life. besides what kind of opinion is that? your are just trying to add to your post count.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Neither

wow look at the asshole calling me an asshole. you see the smiley face. get a fucking life. besides what kind of opinion is that? your are just trying to add to your post count.

Like I said, no need to be an asshole.     (see the smiley?)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not sure about this brand, but I do know that a lot of "no name brands" LCD makers also make LCD screen for name brand LCD's. IIRC Sony sometimes outsources to Hisense. Hisense can be had 40% off to Sony prices. I have also heard that Maxent builds for Panasonic or was that Panasonic uses their parts. Something like that.

Anything with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 or more should give you pretty nice picture. LCD should last you a long time unless you have it on 24/7. By time you need to replace it, these will be really cheap.

Here's one I have been considering. 32" LCD TV

damn you for showing me that, just made my decision harder the remote looks like a Philips remote. thanks for the info on the 1000:1 ratio, never realized how important it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top