Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 7:44:09 AM EDT
Six point Buck in the back yard, we've been feeding him Deer corn and watched his rack grow every week.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's a 3pt. for the rest of us.

ETA - Are you gonna kill 'em?

I don't hunt anymore.
Why would it be a three point?
If I did still hunt I wouldn't bait to do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's a 3pt. for the rest of us.

ETA - Are you gonna kill 'em?

Six point in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Westerners only count points on one side. They get real confused by non-typicals.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
That one is a baby.  In one or two years he will be a shooter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Westerners only count points on one side. They get real confused by non-typicals.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely a 6-pointer.

+1 on waiting a few years.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't hunt anymore.

Why not?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't hunt anymore.

Why not?

If I was hungry I would hunt to eat.
I never hunted just for a trophy anyway.
I guess I just don't want to kill anything unless I have to.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, I could never kill something that I haave been feeding, unless I was starving and there wasn't a Wendy's nearby.

On a similar note, my mother recently nursed a baby possum back to health and set him loose when he was grown.  He comes back every night and eats food that she leaves out for him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Man, I could never kill something that I haave been feeding, unless I was starving and there wasn't a Wendy's nearby.

+1

But since I don't feed deer they are fair game.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
nice pics
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Yummy... Chicken fried venison backstrap.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Duh, yeah okay.

It's a western three and three.

Pretty tough.

There are LOTS of "non-typicals" out here. One of my jobs is to validate deer tags. CA deer tags have a left and right count. Not including brow tines.

ETA that upon re-examining the photo, that just might qualify as three and two!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
"it puts the lotion on its skin!"

fatten him up to a good 250 and dig in....good eats!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yummy... Chicken fried venison backstrap.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Venison Backstrap

The backstrap or loin of a deer is very much like filet mignon. I prefer    venison backstrap to filet mignon, however. The best examples of this cut comes from a two to three year old deer, preferably a doe. With this fantastic meat it takes so little effort to create a gourmet entree. Some cooks like to wrap the slices of loin in bacon, just as a filet mignon. In the interest of keeping the meat low fat and healthier, I choose not to add the bacon. Venison is one of the heart healthiest meats available, if prepared properly.

INGREDIENTS PER BACKSTRAP:

1/8 Teaspoon salt per steak

3 Tablespoons of a very light olive oil or safflower oil in a cup or small bowl.

2 Tablespoons of very coarsely ground black pepper

1 Venison Backstrap

PREPARATION:

I prefer to cook a backstrap on a gas or wood grill. If that is not available this meat can be prepared under the broiler in your kitchen stove as a second alternative. Remove any fat or membrane from the meat. Rinse. Slice the backstrap across the grain, into two inch slices. Make a butterfly cut on each of the two inch pieces. (cut the two inch pieces in the middle almost completely through. Leave about a quarter inch uncut and open the two pieces like a book.  You should end up with what appears to be a steak that is double the surface area as the original and about one inch thick.  Preheat your grill or broiler (don't put the meat on a cold grill). Brush the top of each steak with the olive oil. Apply salt and sprinkle the pepper liberally on the steak. Put the steaks on the grill. Cook six minutes, turn steaks over, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle the tops with pepper. Cook for six or seven minutes or until medium rare. Due to the leanness of the venison, it will become tough if over cooked. Serve immediately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top