Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 8:25:25 PM EDT
What would you gurantee for them when they grow up?

Job?

Wealth?

Knowledge?

I guess I got kind of deep this Saturday thinking of this.  I was up in the woods, at my "other" job helping a friend do some mechanic work on his faller-buncher.  My son was sitting on a small log deck watching the two shovels deck up the wood for the trucks on Monday and I really wondered, will this still be a lifestyle when he is older?  Will he be able to know the "hard" work that this is?  Will it be available?  Or will he even have it for a choice?

Would you want your children to do the same type of work that you do?

Alot of questins huh?  Guess its a little sorta-rant, but I've been thinking on it for 2 days and just needed to get it out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Health, and a positive sense of themselves.

As far as seeing any of my kids become a FF or an electrician, I'd be proud, but I wouldn;t want them to do it if their hearts weren't in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I want my boys to get the best education they can, and I want them to be healthy. After that, they are free to make of life what they wish. Oh, and hot, big busted blondes - a must have.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I will give my kids everything in my power to be all that they can be, what that is is up to them.  As long as they're happy and healthy, I wouldn't care what that was.

However I do wish I could leave them a wheat ranch to raise their kids on.  I enjoyed growing up on a wheat ranch and my kids enjoy having the land now, even if its not in production.  

Patty
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I will give my kids everything in my power to be all that they can be, what that is is up to them.  As long as they're happy and healthy, I wouldn't care what that was.

However I do wish I could leave them a wheat ranch to raise their kids on.  I enjoyed growing up on a wheat ranch and my kids enjoy having the land now, even if its not in production.  

Patty

Good point patty, maybe that is what I was trying to get at.  I've learned alot of things in my time in the woods,supporting industry and ranching. Had a hell of alot of fun with all I've done and still do enjoy it all.  I really think it instills some good morals and values let alone all the great memories that I've gotten becuase of all of it.  Growing up with hundreds of acres at your disposal and having to work at everything you obtained as a kid sets you up for a great mind set later on in life.  I hope my son has the same opportunites and the same values later on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Moral bearing, hands down. Integrity, honor, etc, all the things that I fear society will be lacking in 20 years or so.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope so too petagunner.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Wealth.

I know that with my investments and my family's investments they will have some financial security after we are gone.

A job and knowledge are something that they have to get on their own.

Every parent wants more for their children than what they had growing up.  I just hope they appreciate what I will leave to them -- the ungratful bastards

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
There are no guarantees in life, none. What I would like to give my children and what I really can are very different things.

So, knowing that I'm trying to teach my daughter empathy and self-reliance. If you have both of those, you have all the tools to be a caring, responsible adult and hopefully one that will not be dependant or needy...which leads to poor decisions. The rest takes care of itself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Wealth, character, and faith.

The order may vary...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
guarentee them your love.  Then they put you in a nursing home and they forget about you...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Of the three you mentioned, I would pick knowledge.  (Not just book/academic knowledge).

With knowledge will come the opportunity for a good job and wealth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Character.  A man's character is his fate.  It's more important to their happiness than their level of education or their income.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top