Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
Ok, I have a fairly old well system in my house. I'm assuming the well was drilled back in the 50's when the house was built. It is a frost free system that does not have an exposed service head. The holding tank is made from galvanized steel and is about half full of water. The jet pump on top of it is made by Rapidayton and still runs pretty descent. The problem is, the pump does not shut off on its own anymore. It only turns on, but does not turn off. I would prefer to replace the pump and tank with a new jet pump and bladder style tank instead of messing with a new pressure switch. Can I do this without ruining the well? Would doing this help with my low water pressure, and rusty water issues? Also, with the tank being so full of water, it is causing my floor to sag. I will be out of this house next spring and only need to limp it along until then, but I would rather replace the stuff and make it look new for resale value. So, what do you think?

Here is a pic of the system to give you an idea of what I am working with:

And this pic shows how old it is. It has a Pittsburg Steelers logo on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
ttt
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, I have a fairly old well system in my house. I'm assuming the well was drilled back in the 50's when the house was built. It is a frost free system that does not have an exposed service head. The holding tank is made from galvanized steel and is about half full of water. The jet pump on top of it is made by Rapidayton and still runs pretty descent. The problem is, the pump does not shut off on its own anymore. It only turns on, but does not turn off. I would prefer to replace the pump and tank with a new jet pump and bladder style tank instead of messing with a new pressure switch. Can I do this without ruining the well? Would doing this help with my low water pressure, and rusty water issues? Also, with the tank being so full of water, it is causing my floor to sag. I will be out of this house next spring and only need to limp it along until then, but I would rather replace the stuff and make it look new for resale value. So, what do you think?

Here is a pic of the system to give you an idea of what I am working with:

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/shop_rat45/pump1.jpg

And this pic shows how old it is. It has a Pittsburg Steelers logo on it.
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/shop_rat45/pump2.jpg

ETA:

Removed my comment from within your quoted text.

Your old pressure switch is pooched. Replace, set to your current spec's (on / off pressures) and all shall be fine.

ETA II:

I should also type the following:

It is possible your pump can no longer produce the set pressure(s), which can cause such a symptom. If the pump cannot reach the set pressure, it will cavitate and make air, causing an issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You can replace the pressure tank and jet with a newer unit, it is very simple. Put the Inlet on the Inlet and the out on the out and plug it in. Stand back in case it blows up. How much pressure does your present pump build (running with all outlets closed?) These units are built by Jacuzzi, Goulds ,Reda,RedJacket etc.,etc., lots to choose from. I liked the Goulds units with the Well X Trol tanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
ttt for more info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]

The cover is off your pressure switch, which tells me it's probably had der fingers all over it..

There are two adjustments on it, low pressure cut in and high pressure cut out.  If you're screwed the cut out portion down (beyond what the old pump can give you)in an effort to raise water pressure, it will never shut off. Try backing off the high pressure (shut off) portion of the switch and see if it does shut off at some point.

You may possibly have a leak in the plastic pipe down in the well.

If I were you, I'd just pull the whole mess out and drop in a submersible and be done with it. Jet pumps suck.

ETA, most local codes require you to update the well (bring it to the surface) when you sell. (If the head is buried underground). If not the local health codes, then the lender usually requires it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top