Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 4:35:23 PM EDT
We are building a firepit out at our hunting property and I am seeking some advice.  Just looking for any tips on what to avoid or any suggestions on materials. My main concern is the heat deteriorating any masonry work we do, like the mortar or building material. My mom and dad want one like they had when they went on their hunting trips to South Africa, pic is below. My brother and I already formed and poured a slab earlier this year, now we are going to start on the actual pit this next weekend. We plan on layering firebricks on the bottom and maybe the inside of the wall. We are going to the local brick/rock company later this week to look for some good material. Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Put vent holes on all sides so it burns evenly.  I built a half assed one out of just concrete blocks and placed one on its side to allow air in on each side, it works.

The common steel fire rings used in state parks have small holes but they are inefficient at feeding the fire with enough air. I usually dig under the ring a bit to allow more air flow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top