Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
I cant find crap as to how to take severe water spots or stains off a car's paint.

I have a black truck, and it wont fit in the garage. The sprinklers at my apartment complex keep hitting it no matter what I try. It got to the point where the spots wont come out....

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Clay. Period. Or vinegar. Period.  Come to think of it there is probably a lot of crap that will take water spots off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
White vinegar - no secret apparently.

You can clay bar the thing at the same time to remove any other junk you've got stuck to your finish as long as you're doing a fresh polish on top you might as well start clean.

I use Zaino products to some good effect.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/ZSpringtime.jpg

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/BilletGrill01.jpg

Very nice
How long that take you?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Some spots may be from dripping from trees.  It has sap and crud in it.

If truly waterspots, vinegar.

BUT rinse well after, vinegar is a mild acid.

Also, WAX your car.  You remember what that is?  Nothing like hand rubbed wax to bring out the best in a black car.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I screwed the pooch by not waxing it in the first place. I just hope the dealership waxed it or did something to it before I got it. as soon as I got it home, the spottage began
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
what about "Arizona Pin Stripe's?"
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Meguire's Clay Bar kit....works great. Time consuming, but exellent results.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a black Honda Civic. Approximately 6 years old .... with its original jet black factory paint. It had terrible water spots and swirl marks from years of washing and waxing. Finally brought it to Meguiers for body detailing .... best damn money spent! I was amazed at how they were able to restore its factory shine!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice
How long that take you?

It takes a lot of time but not much effort. The Zanio products "like" about an hour or more to cure before just wiping them off - about 1/10th the effort of a carbona based polish. This stuff layers well so I have about 8 coats of Z-2 and another 6 of Z-5 mixed in there too. I use Z-6/-8 to spray clean the thing (daily).

Black is the hardest color to keep clean. Just sitting outside coats mine with dust and pollen.

Tell me about it. I had a black Cobra up until about 2 years ago (still kicking myself in the ass for selling it). It was the first and last black car I will ever own. I have red now, I never tried the Zanio stuff. I'll have to check around to see if they have it locally and give it a shot. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I screwed the pooch by not waxing it in the first place. I just hope the dealership waxed it or did something to it before I got it. as soon as I got it home, the spottage began

Pray like hell that the dealer DIDN'T wax your car before you got it.

Why?

Because apparently dealers are incapable of waxing a car without putting swirl marks all over the thing. Most that I have seen have an automatic type car wash that just scratches the hell out of the paint. Swirl marks are a dealer installed option that you can't seem to avoid in most of the dealerships I have seen.

Anyhoo, as far as removing the water spots on your finish, do the following:

1. Wash your car with a clean wash mit of good quality using a good quality soap, like Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Don't skimp. Get the good stuff.

2. Thoroughly dry your car with Meguiar's Water Magnet towels. Use the towels sanely and they won't scratch your finish.

3. Use Meguiar's Quick Clay kit. Clay removes bonded contaminants from your finish, leaving it smooth as glass. The water spots you are seeing are not the result of pure H2O, but are the remains of minerals and the like in the water. Quick Clay will remove those from the finish.

4. Apply a good paint polish such as Meguiar's Crystal Glaze to your finish. This actually feeds the paint and will help richen the color of the paint.

5. Follow up with a few coats of a premium wax such as Meguiar's NXT. I find that 3 coats of the stuff are enough to make the finish so slick that nothing sticks to it.

6. Wash regularly and re-coat with wax every month or so to maintain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a black Honda Civic. Approximately 6 years old .... with its original jet black factory paint. It had terrible water spots and swirl marks from years of washing and waxing. Finally brought it to Meguiers for body detailing .... best damn money spent! I was amazed at how they were able to restore its factory shine!

Their random orbital buffer with a buffing pad and a little #83 DACP works wonders on most finishes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you tried simply handwashing the vehicle, in a shady spot, on a cool day? Use a mitt or good quality sponge, and dry it carefully when finished. The deposits left on your finish are water soluable, as evidenced by the method of application. Water is THE universal solvent for these types of blemishes.
Don't wax it until you're certain the water spots are gone. Wax will seal them in, and you'll have to buff.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]
the wife hand washed it and I have run it through a drive through wash a couple of times (just to keep it from getting worse.)

I tried some vinegar, but weak results (perhaps I should let it sit a little longer)

I've also tried the clay bar, but got less results than the vinegar. (although it worked AWESOME on the stuff that wasnt as set in as the spots on the front)

I'll pretty much try anything at this point. I'm thinking about just taking it to a body detailer and just paying whatever it takes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top