Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 1:36:39 PM EDT
After hearing some "experts" on a show on the History Chanel talk about the history of, and brewing the best cup of coffee, I bought a french press.  The "experts" said it was the best way to brew a cup of coffee.  It has no bitterness this way and leaves in all of the oils that regular brewing methods do not.  I grind all of my coffe here anyway and using this thing just makes it that much better!

Check the link below for some info on french presses.

www.ineedcoffee.com/99/05/frenchpress/

Does anyone else use one?  I love mine.

Balming
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using one for the last 2 weeks. Still trying to get the water/coffee mix right. I first went with the 2T per 6oz of water and found it to be way too strong so I tapered back from there and now brewing 5-6T per 24oz of water. I really like the flavor. The only drawbacks are brewing 24 oz at a time and the coffee cools very fast in the press.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I only fill my press about 1/2 full.  I drink 2 cups at a sitting and I prefer it strong.

It makes some good coffee!

bALMING
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
We have one but we don't use it anymore.  Community Red Bag Dark Roast in a drip pot is what we like.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I read that the Folgers plant is in New Orleans, and you might not be able to get Folgers for a while.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Folgers
1 part coffee
4 parts water
and nuke it.
Ahhhh, now that's fresh.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I read that the Folgers plant is in New Orleans, and you might not be able to get Folgers for a while.

The Folgers plant on Old Gentilly had some damage as I recall. They are producing but I don't know if it's at 100%. Driving past that place every day made me Jones for a cup of coffee, just not Folgers brand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Say it isn't S
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to get me on of them mug/press things.  Hey! It would be so funny to get one that looks like a bong.  Not that I like tokers, but some of my professors are wound wayyy too tight
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, been using it for a while now.  For a more consistent grind make sure that you use a quality burr grinder.  By using an inferior grinder you'll have more problems with "mud" at the bottom of your cup due to the inconsistency of the grind.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Community Coffee w/chicory   Yummy
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess that's OK if you can't handle espresso.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Community Cafe du Monde Coffee w/chicory   Yummy

Fixed it for you!

Don;t forget the beignets!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
When my brother-in-law sold his share of a pharmaceutical company he started, and cashed a single check for $10 million, this is the first thing he bought:
Capresso

Now, when I visit my family back in Michigan, I have to wait until noon or so until I get to his house to get a decent cup of coffee.

Is $1999 a lot of money for a coffee/espresso maker?
Sure.  But that's one hell of a cup of joe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the "toddy coffee" cold brew method.  

www.toddycoffee.com/

It makes a very concentrated brew which is kept in the refrigerator.  When you want a cuppa joe, pour about 1" of the resulting concentrate in your mug, fill will water, and nuke it for about 2 minutes.

This is the smoothest coffee you'll ever drink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top