Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 7:22:45 AM EDT
I am a huge fan of video games and cartoons especially Adult Swim.  I am 25y/o and a veteran of the Army I served in Bosnia Kosovo and Afghanistan.  I am currently studying to be a teacher and taking criminal justice classes on the side.  The other day in my college activities center i met a chick who said I was childish and immature because I love video games and cartoons.  She tried to tell me that most adults dont do those things and that they are for kids.  I said that mabye she was just a dead inside stuck up bitch and she stormed off.  Is she right are videogames and cartoons just for younger people.  I disagree with her because my old 1st sergeant use to love counterstrike and command and conquer. This guy also loved  cartoons he was a big fan of dragon ball Z.  This guy is responsible for the lives of men and for millions of dollers of equipment he was a combat vet and the toughest man I have ever met far from childish.  My general philosophy about video games and cartoons goes along with what he told me.

You dont stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are an adult, you don't have that much time available imo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
How  could anyone not love the Flintstones?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I live vicariously through my children. That entitles me to do all of the fun stuff deemed childish. Either way XBOX is fun as hell online, I like to break necks and talk smack, even if I am up against 12 year olds. I like to make the children cry...............................
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I take 15 credits of classes each semester I work around 25hours a week in the veterans work study program.  I am still part of my two year schools honor society.  I generally donate around six hours of my time each week to Honor society programs like bake sales and sending care packages to Iraq (got to help my fellow soldiers) and I still find time to play video games, and I watch adult swim before I go to bed. How do you not have enough time.  I am also have to give my time to student teaching for my fundamentals of education classes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take 15 credits of classes each semester I work around 25hours a week in the veterans work study program.  I am still part of my two year schools honor society.  I generally donate around six hours of my time each week to Honor society programs like bake sales and sending care packages to Iraq (got to help my fellow soldiers) and I still find time to play video games, and I watch adult swim before I go to bed. How do you not have enough time.  

Get a wife,kids, house chores and a successful career going and you will understand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take 15 credits of classes each semester I work around 25hours a week in the veterans work study program.  I am still part of my two year schools honor society.  I generally donate around six hours of my time each week to Honor society programs like bake sales and sending care packages to Iraq (got to help my fellow soldiers) and I still find time to play video games, and I watch adult swim before I go to bed. How do you not have enough time.  

Get a wife,kids, house chores and a successful career going and you will understand.

Dont need a wife and kids taking away from my time.  I have enough money every two months to invest in shit like roth IRAs and pet projects like weapons and equipment. Dont think I need a wife and kids bugging me every few minutes.  I want cool shit not a wife who hates me and kids who turn out to be liberal whiners
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How come? I own my own business. This allows my time to be flexible. I can have as much or as little time as I like, within the constraints of what my business requires.

You have as much or as little time, as an adult, as you choose to have. My business partners' time ends up being limited. But then again, they also have chosen to have children, large homes with large yards in posh, suburban neighborhoods. They spend much of their time keeping up with kids and homes. They chose this. I did not. I enjoy a smaller abode, with less maintenance. I do not currently have children.

I have plenty of time, as a responsible, adult business owner. I can use this time to watch Adult Swim, play PlayStation, read a book, go to the beach, go to a museum, work on automobiles...  Whatever I want. I may not have weeks off at a time to do these things, but even after taking care of a small business that in reality owns me more than I own it, I still consider that I have plenty of time available.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually don't have ime for vids and toons, but when I get a chance there is nothing like playing halo with 4 of your buds and a 12er. I never mis an episode of the simpsons or family guy, they are funnier than the retarded cookie cutter sitcoms these days
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My Uncle works 40 + hour weeks, has 2 kids, a wife, a house all to take care of...

Yet, he manages to have time for games.

A lot of adults have time for it.. they just don't use their time wisely.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I love playing xbox with my sons, and even the kids I teach.   I've found that being somewhat knowledgeable about video games(at least playing them every once in a while) helps me build relationships with my students.   Those relationships of trust, give me leverage in the classroom.  Students "try" harder for me, and behave better in my classroom because of those relationships.  

Other teachers in my school, can't figure out how I get "trouble" students to produce and behave in my classroom.  IMHO, it comes down to those relationships of trust that are built and maintained.   Students come back to my classroom, years after graduation, to say "Hi".   I think it helps.

Say what you want about "video games" but I think of them as a teaching tool.

Besides, it is badass playing Halo with a 3k projector and a huge stereo in my classroom on in-service days.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He doesn't have time but he has 14k posts....more than likely he's just trying to be an ass...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Adult swim is great

Childish and immiture? Only if you have friens come over and play with your action figures
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Adult swim is great

Childish and immiture? Only if you have friens come over and play with your action figures

What if you play with them alone?

What if you take pictures while playing with them, and add captions to make it a story?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He doesn't have time but he has 14k posts....more than likely he's just trying to be an ass...

If I could play games while I work I guess I would, posting on arfcom isn't as much of a challenge. If I was trying to be an ass you would know it sweetheart.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Im 24 hold down a fulltime job and all the other "adult" stuff, im  all about cartoons and videogames. it's what interests me and im the most responsible "adult" I know.I like to have fun so just because im not a bitter dried up ol' stick in the mud doesnt mean im irresponsible or childish hell I have accomplished things in just the last 5years alone most people twice my age haven't life is to short to be serious 24/7 you only get one shot at it, do what makes you happy and if anyone gives you flack about it,it would most likely be because they are just following the crowd of what (PC) deems you should bow down and submit on your knees be. screw that im not handing over my guns or my remote control's
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#16]
It's real simple.

Do what makes you happy and that  which you enjoy.

I think the bitch is actually jealous and is stuck on stereotypes because that's what she was told was normal.

I don't watch cartoons, but I do like a good PC shooter game.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I want cool shit not a wife who hates me and kids who turn out to be liberal whiners.

25 and already a jaded cynic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Married, 2 Kids, College AND work, and I still find a little time for VideoGames and watch toons w/ my kids
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

So what do you do for fun? Clean the grout? Clean the gutters?

Both my wife and I love Adult Swim and xbox. No kids, so we also enjoy freaky sex in the middle of the day .
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Computer games are like golf. You can still play them and enjoy them both all the way through retirement.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what do you do for fun? Clean the grout? Clean the gutters?

Both my wife and I love Adult Swim and xbox. No kids, so we also enjoy freaky sex in the middle of the day .

I shoot, work around the house, go on trips and have lots of fun with the wife. I really don't want the time to sit in front of a tv, I get enough of computer time that I'm tired of. I would rather be in the bedroom with the wife or outside working or driving than sitting in front of a tv watching mindless dribble. To each his own though, ymmv.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want cool shit not a wife who hates me and kids who turn out to be liberal whiners.

When ever I talk to married guys I usually get the same responses.  Hey bill do you want to go shoot my new M4gery no my wife wont allow me to shoot guns.  Hey bill do you want to go to the titty bar no my wife wont allow it.  Hey bill whos that guy who is always hanging out with your son his boyfriend.  Hey bill is your son going to carry on the family tradition and join the army no he is a hippie and hates america. Hey bill want to come fishing no my wife sold my gear she needed a new sofa.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#23]
in the winter i'll usually play one or two..   BF Desert Combat or a little GTA  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm 35. My favorite shows include Samurai Jack and anything by Pixar (not exactly cartoons, but...).

My  MAME cabinet stands in our family room as a main source of family entertainment to share with my kids.

It's all good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd rather spend the time reading, watching the History or National Geographic chanel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Work is serious enough.  South Park kind of puts things into perspective at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

been there done that, things are diff now but you will always have the time for the things you want if you make a conscious decision to have time for it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
34 and I just bought 4 videogames on sale for my PS2 and my favorite cartoon is Robotech, I have them all on DVD.

Before anyone asks, I have a hot wife and do not live in my parents basement.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm too busy wasting my time on here to be childish.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When ever I talk to married guys I usually get the same responses.  Hey bill do you want to go shoot my new M4gery no my wife wont allow me to shoot guns.  Hey bill do you want to go to the titty bar no my wife wont allow it.  Hey bill whos that guy who is always hanging out with your son his boyfriend.  Hey bill is your son going to carry on the family tradition and join the army no he is a hippie and hates america. Hey bill want to come fishing no my wife sold my gear she needed a new sofa.

Dude,

That sounds like my office.  A big bunch of broken pussies.  I am the only one still single and seemingly the only one that does not spend my weekend deciding what tile my wife would like in the kitchen.  I'll stick to having a disposable GF thank you.

-G
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#31]
If you worry about THAT kind of shit, you havn't been an adult long...

You spend your late teens trying to be mature.
You spend your 20s trying to tell the world you're mature.
You spend your thirties trying to recapture your youth and eyeing the opposit sex 10 years younger.
You spend your fourties not giving a fuck either way and just have fun & Eyeing those 20 years younger.
You spend your fifties regressing in between backaches and playing grabass with the 30yr olds.
You spend your sixties playing with your grandkids at their level. (Scotch is a staple!!)
You spend your seventies regressing further. (Vicodin is a staple!)
You spend your eighties regressing mentally. (Too many pills, all are considered a staple)
You spend your ninties in depends and throwing tantrums about jello pretty much like a 3 year old. (Pills? candy?)
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Not childish, but not something I prefer to do.

I do like reading fairy tales in their original forms, interesting. I do watch some cartoon movies.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I played a lot of Counter Strike in college, age 20-21.  Now I'm a few years out and flat out don't have the time.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have all that and I still find time to unwind by watching Adult Swim or playing a little MOHAA online with the boys.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O-W-N-E-D.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#36]
cartoons and video games are for all ages, as long as you enjoy it, I dont see anything wrong with it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O-W-N-E-D.

You wouldn't know owned if it hit you in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Waste of time for POT HEADS and KIDS!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Interesting video for all of us Counter Strike Source players and hit boxes.

CS:S Messed Up Hitboxes

And yes, I am 42, married with kids and a career and I still love to play video games. Man, they didn't have this cool stuff when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I just love people so quick to judge what people should have as
a passtime.

I'm 38, and, I greatly enjoy playing my PSII (Madden and NCAA Football).

I also enjoy Aqua Teen Hunder Force, the Simpsons, Family Guy, American Guy, and
Buggs Bunny still makes me howl with laughter.

I'd say that girl has somthing unpleasant in her butt, and, you need to stay away
from her.

I ache for the poor man that marries that one.

I have a successful career, and, a family.

I find time for everything I need to.  I spend time with the wife, kids, dogs, and
all by myself.

If people don't like my cartoon watching, or my video game playing, then, they can go
play golf, or hunt, or do some other activity I think is absolutly idiotic.

I don't rag them about thier choices, and, I expect not to be ragged in return.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Adult swim and southpark along with a first person shooter.  It's a good way to waste a sunday.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Games, hell yeah. And I find myself working 12-14 hours a day however I do not watch to many cartoons any more or tv, pretty much have my hour 5 times a week on cartoon network Family Guy and Futurama. And some times some king of the hill.

Thats about it. But the tv I have running while I work when I watch it so no biggy.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#43]
get home from work at night. a little aqua teen hunger force, xbox halo 2. and i'm set. btw i'll be 38 this week. 2 kids and a wife. halo rocks on the 50' big screen & surround sound.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#44]
After a long day, I always enjoy some first person shooter relief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top