Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 2:45:23 PM EDT
(First off, let me state that I have no dog in this fight. Just something that came to mind earlier today...)

Why is it that Airsoft is constantly slammed as "toy BS", while Simunitions and the like are used in training by several Military and Law Enforcement organizations? I have to plead ignorance in this subject, as I have no experience with Airsoft and very little with Simunitions.

I realize that there are a lot of geeks that take Airsoft to the extreme and consider it second only to "real steel", and consider themselves hardened operators just because they run around shooting each other with plastic BBs. I don't really think that is valid, but from a professional training standpoint, what is the difference between the two for non-lethal training between live individuals?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
(First off, let me state that I have no dog in this fight. Just something that came to mind earlier today...)

Why is it that Airsoft is constantly slammed as "toy BS", while Simunitions and the like are used in training by several Military and Law Enforcement organizations? I have to plead ignorance in this subject, as I have no experience with Airsoft and very little with Simunitions.

I realize that there are a lot of geeks that take Airsoft to the extreme and consider it second only to "real steel", and consider themselves hardened operators just because they run around shooting each other with plastic BBs. I don't really think that is valid, but from a professional training standpoint, what is the difference between the two for non-lethal training between live individuals?

The difference is probably that of "training" and "playing games."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top