Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 11:27:21 AM EDT
I was listening to the radio this morning someone had a free-for-all show debating
whether or not a "Great Wall Of America" should be built on the mexican border
Of course the anti-Minutemen side called the Minutemen
"racist militia-men, the same as the kkk and the greatest danger to our country"

It turns out that the media has not printed ANYTHING about the largest border watch so far......
they are in all four mexican border states and on the Canadian border too, with 4,000 watchers

AND, Jim Gilchrist has just forced a special election in CA by getting enough of the votes
to keep the republican candidate from garnering the more than 50% that he needed to win

O.C. Race Shapes Up as a Duel
(Orange County, CA CONGRESSIONAL race)
Gilchrist's strong finish Tuesday makes him chief rival to the GOP's Campbell. In a special election, anything's possible, one expert says.
By Jean O. Pasco
Times Staff Writer
latimes.com
October 6, 2005
When state Sen. John Campbell makes his final push in December to win a prized congressional district in coastal Orange County, the biggest fight may come not from his Democratic opponent but from a retired accountant who gained notoriety by watching for illegal immigrants at the Mexican border.

Voter discontent over illegal immigration propelled Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist, a first-time candidate and member of the American Independent Party, into a strong third-place finish in Tuesday's special election to succeed Rep. Christopher Cox (R-Newport Beach) in the 48th District.

The biggest surprise wasn't Campbell, who won 46% of Tuesday's vote — short of an outright victory, but enough to secure the Republican nomination for a Dec. 6 showdown among top party vote-getters.

More striking was that Gilchrist — a political unknown a year ago — grabbed more votes than the top Democrat, Steve Young. He also came within shouting distance of the second-place finisher, former Assemblywoman Marilyn C. Brewer of Newport Beach, a Republican who represented much of the district for six years.

Gilchrist made a splash this year when he created a group of volunteers to take shifts watching for illegal crossings into the United States from Mexico, staging their first protest in Arizona. His Minuteman Project — instant fodder for television and radio talk shows — was praised by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger but derided as vigilantes by President Bush.

"This is the first time I've seen a third-party candidate with such a strong showing," marveled political consultant Scott Hart of Newport Beach, who wasn't affiliated with any of the 17 candidates on the ballot.

"Illegal immigration was Gilchrist's issue and his platform, and that's why people were voting for him," Hart said. "It shows how strong the issue is."

Momentum is on Gilchrist's side for the Dec. 6 election, his campaign manager, Howie Morgan, said Wednesday amid a buzz of renewed activity after Tuesday's results.

"It's going to be a two-man race between Jim and John, and we haven't even begun to fight on illegal immigration," said Morgan, a Lake Forest resident. "We've raised our profile in the race and voters are responding."

Democrat Young, Libertarian Bruce Cohen and Bea Tiritilli of the Green Party will also be on the ballot.

In a regular election, Gilchrist's optimism could be misplaced. But in low-turnout special elections — only 20% of registered voters cast ballots Tuesday — anything's possible, particularly with a galvanizing issue, said Allan Hoffenblum, a Republican political analyst in Los Angeles.

"Illegal immigration is a festering political problem that neither party is addressing, and Gilchrist has credibility on the issue," Hoffenblum said. "But I think Gilchrist probably peaked on Tuesday. This is a solid Republican district that obviously is concerned about illegal immigration and they're going to want a congressman that's more reflective of the district, and that's really John Campbell."

Illegal immigration was not a core issue for Cox, who represented the district for 17 years before he resigned Aug. 2 to become chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Gilchrist will force Campbell — a millionaire former car dealer — to continue talking about illegal immigration, said Mark Petracca, a political science professor at UC Irvine and a Democrat.

"It's not popular with his country club friends, and that's because illegal immigrants are out there cutting the country club lawn," Petracca said.

Gilchrist's campaign got early attention for his Minuteman connection. But it didn't take off until two weeks ago, when radio and television advertisements began to run across the district, which stretches from Newport Beach to San Juan Capistrano. On Monday, Gilchrist debated Campbell for an hour on "The John and Ken Show" on KFI-AM (640).

In early returns based on a hefty chunk of absentee ballots, Gilchrist was well behind Young, an attorney from Newport Beach who had advertised on the cable TV system that serves Leisure World Laguna Woods. But as votes from polling places rolled in, Gilchrist's numbers surged.

While Campbell and Young picked up half again as many votes over their absentee-ballot showing, Gilchrist's count swelled by 250%, picking up an additional 8,200 votes — far more than Brewer, who had focused most of her effort on turning out election-day voters.

Campbell ended up with 25,000 more votes than Gilchrist and 23,000 more than Brewer, out of 80,000 cast.

Those are the numbers that matter, said Dave Gilliard, Campbell's campaign manager. Gilchrist will be just another name on the Dec. 6 ballot, he predicted.

"We're going to run our campaign on the issues that John wants to focus on in Congress," he said. "We're not going to change anything."

But Campbell found himself on the defensive over his record on illegal immigration. He had to explain why he'd voted in the Assembly to allow in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants attending state colleges and another vote to allow the acceptance of Mexican consular cards for identification.

He said the votes were a mistake and argued that he'd subsequently proved himself on the issue. He voted to block money for undocumented immigrants in the state budget and is co-chair of an initiative intended for a 2006 vote to create a state border police. He also funded a referendum in 2003 to pressure the Legislature to repeal a bill granting driver's licenses for illegal immigrants.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmmm.......maybe the lack of coverage is due to the lack of interest
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife calls me a minute man....
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It turns out that the media has not printed ANYTHING about the largest border watch so far......

OMG TOTAL NEWS BLACKOUT!!!1111ONE!!!

More news blackout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet more news blackout!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, thanks, none of that came up for my search
(I don't suppose you want to tell me how you found it?)
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Google News.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google News.

Thanks again, I have always just used google.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
media is quiet about the minuteman project now because they realized after the last big media coverage of them that the average American supports the minutemen, which goes against the media's agenda
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woohoo. Local news outlets in border states reporting on.....illegal immigration, which they've already been dealing with for years. Preaching to the choir.

I'll be impressed when Joe Blow in East Boondocks Nebraska sees this day in and day out on his local and national news instead of Natalee Holloway and Laci Peterson.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]
FOX news  has a guy reporting from the area along the San Diego,CA / MX border - There was a guy on the MX side of the border  protesting the Minute Men and their cause.

- The MX guy said  it is a problem between goverments, Not people!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Minutemen say border agents support group's efforts
Louie Gilot
For the Sun-Times
Oct 9, 2005
www.lcsun-news.com/artman/publish/article_20041.shtml
When it comes to the Minutemen, Border Patrol officials are careful not to encourage the civilian patrollers, saying the job is better left to trained professionals.

But Border Patrol agents on the ground are much friendlier, Minutemen volunteers said.

“The rank-and-file have been supportive. They talk to us. They say, ‘Thank you for being here,’” said Frank George, the spokesman for the Texas Minutemen, a group operating from Fabens to Fort Hancock this month.

Patrollers from other similar groups who scan the desert for undocumented immigrants to report to the Border Patrol say agents have gone as far as giving them tips on patrolling, and have even asked for their help to close off culverts and other routes used by smugglers.

Border Patrol officials said agents are only monitoring the patrollers.

“We are not aware of relationships (between agents and patrollers) struck in this sector,” Doug Mosier, the Border Patrol spokesman in El Paso, said. “We do not have an adversarial relationship with the Minutemen, but we are obligated to monitor their activities and ensure that our operations are not interrupted and civil rights are not violated in any way.”

Individual border agents are not allowed to give their personal opinions to the media, but several agents, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed widespread support for the Minutemen.

Officials at the National Border Patrol Council, the agents’ union, said it’s understandable the Minutemen have fans in the field.

“They welcome the support, clearly,” T.J. Bonner, the union’s president, said. “I certainly appreciate the frustration of the Minutemen. I personally recall catching the same group of people four times in one shift.”

Bonner worked as an agent in San Diego.

Not only have the numbers of apprehensions of migrants shot up in the past few years, but statistics suggest migrants must now try to cross several times before succeeding.

Last year, more than half the undocumented immigrants caught in the El Paso sector were repeat crossers. If they are from Mexico and have a clean criminal background, they get turned back to Juárez within hours. There, they regroup with their smuggler, who only charges them money if the crossing is successful.

Bonner said agents were given general instructions by the agency brass to call a supervisor any time an immigrant is turned over to them by a Minutemen volunteer. The supervisor would then interview the migrants “to make sure there are no allegations of abuse,” Bonner said.

Representatives from Minutemen groups have said they would not detain migrants, just spot them and call the Border Patrol.

The Minutemen are extra pairs of eyes, and for some Border Patrol agents, they are also extra pairs of hands.

Ray Ybarra, who organizes teams of observers for the American Civil Liberties Union to follow the Minutemen around, said patrollers helped agents during the original Minuteman Project in Arizona in April.

“Agents would tell the Minutemen, ‘Watch this guy (immigrant), while I go after that guy (another immigrant),’” he said. “It’s like they are deputizing hate groups.”
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if this ray ybarra fucktard, from the ACLU, is one of the ACLU geeks who was cought,on film, smoking pot and drinking wine while "they" were "documenting civil rights abuses" against illegal aliens,illegaly entering the USA?    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll be on the Canadian border next weekend. The northern operations are not for the entire month of October....once again the media is WRONG!, but if it gets anti minutemen protestors to the borders thats fine. That means there will be law enforcement officers there too to keep them under control.

I'm not a racist, I'll observe and report all illegal entry.

I support and encourage all LEGAL entry to the United States. There's a process for it under the laws of this and other countries to be followed.

Shame on those who support and encourage lawlessness, it hurts everyone at some point.

If you haven't volunteered SOME time or financial assistance to the cause,  What are you waiting for?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I want to thank all the men and women of the minutmen and law enforcement/military for slowing down the eventual demise of our once great country.

I truely appreciate the time you have bought me with your blood ,sweat and efforts so that I may enjoy a few brief moments in the sun with my wife while on this sad and pathetic planet.

sadly, I believe the conclusion is fore-gone and we are simply delaying the inevitable, but that does not detract from the brave efforts you and your brothers and sisters are putting foward. Thank you.

I know it sounds appathetic and lazy, but think of it this way, if you had terminal cancer (proven) and had only six months to live,would you fight to stay alive another month, or enjoy life to the fullest and shorten your life by a month. this is how I feel america is going...they know the end is near and partying like there's no tomarrow, thus ensureing that there isn't, save but for a few brave souls that refuse to give up.

my hats off to you, you have my support and prayers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... I'll observe and report all illegal entry.

So...  what good does it do to observe and report illegal entry?

Do you detain, restrain, or otherwise interfere with the illegal activity?

I didn't think you could, so what good does it do?

Can you make a citizens arrest?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's putting .gov on notice that we're tired of this shit and expect something done about it. we are starting to wake up to what's going on and maybe we will take back our country.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that's a good idea right now.  All they need is 1 bad citizen arrest and the whole movement is painted as bad and now they can point to a real case.

Observe. Report. Document failures to respond.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top