Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 7:35:23 PM EDT
Doesn't that mean they jumped into hostile territory?  When was the last time the 82nd did that?  Panama in 1990?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
from the space shuttle?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Must be one of those super top secret jumps behind enemy lines to assassinate a high-level military official that the Vietnam Air-Assault Super SEALs always tell me about at the gunshow.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]

In June, 2002, elements of the Division Headquarters and 3rd Brigade deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. In January, 2003 1st Brigade relieved 3rd Brigade, and continued the Division's support of Operation Enduring Freedom. During 1st Brigade's tour in Afghanistan, 70 Soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry conducted a combat jump into western Afghanistan. This was the first combat jump for the division since Operation Just Cause in Panama during the 1989 Invasion.

From wikepedia.com
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

In June, 2002, elements of the Division Headquarters and 3rd Brigade deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. In January, 2003 1st Brigade relieved 3rd Brigade, and continued the Division's support of Operation Enduring Freedom. During 1st Brigade's tour in Afghanistan, 70 Soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry conducted a combat jump into western Afghanistan. This was the first combat jump for the division since Operation Just Cause in Panama during the 1989 Invasion.

From wikepedia.com

Wasn't that on one of the first nights of the war? The one shot on IR video?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it was.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From wikepedia.com

The Combat Jump into Iraq was done by the 173rd Brigade.

These Guys:

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought those were Rangers on that FLIR video in Afghanistan, and that the operation was in 2001.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I was talking about Afghanistan.

Either way, the bow is merited.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought those were Rangers on that FLIR video

They were.

But that was even earlier.  And Rangers are not normally part of the 82nd.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, I remember seeing flir video of the 82nd. Obviously it couldn't have been in the first days. My bad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From wikepedia.com

You are thinking of the Ranger jump.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Doesn't that mean they jumped into hostile territory?  When was the last time the 82nd did that?  Panama in 1990?

I remember hearing about the jump and thinking, dang this is serious.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I knew a guy who was just getting out of basic when his unit the 101st deploying for Panama.  They were in a hangar and saw all the soldiers running around.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing."

The next moring they woke up to the news Panama had been invaded and had to clean up all the empty ammo boxes in the hangar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were.

Rangers are never part of the 82nd. Separate units entirely. Yes there are many Ranger qualified troopers in the 82nd but they still aint Rangers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually it was B co 3/504 PIR, and I think it was in febuary 2003.

And yes it is true, too bad I wasnt in B co when they jumped.

Ask him what unit he was in, if it wasnt B co 3/504(Blue Devils) or a Ranger BN he is FOS.

FREE

Quoted:

From wikepedia.com

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody that jumps out of a plane that is not on fire is just plain nuts!!!!!!

And U   know that is right!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the instructors for Yale forklifts out of Greenville NC was reactived and participated in that jump. They keep him from work for over a year. I'll email him next week and see how many, where and when if he can tell me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I knew a guy who was just getting out of basic when his unit the 101st deploying for Panama.

The 101st in Operation Just Cause, huh?  How 'bout that...

They went in undercover wearing 82nd patches Ranger scrolls and 193rd patches
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were.

Rangers are never part of the 82nd. Separate units entirely. Yes there are many Ranger qualified troopers in the 82nd but they still aint Rangers.

This is true, BUT the Rangers and even SF (at least 3rd SFG) jumps with the 82nd all the time. This I know for sure. It was probably a mixed bunch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I knew a guy who was just getting out of basic when his unit the 101st deploying for Panama.

The 101st in Operation Just Cause, huh?  How 'bout that...

They weren't there?

As for asking him the unit, I blew that by lk=linking to the blog explicitly saying what unit made the jump in Afghanistan.

But there is more.  The topic was about the worst thing you have done drunk.  Here is his entry:

Ok, no story I can tell compares to what happened to a buddy of mine-

He used to be in the 82nd Airborne Infantry, and he had a serious problem with alchohol. In fact, worse than any human being I have ever met. He would drink so much that he would black out for DAYS. I have seen it myself. He got busted down rank three times because of this. He would drink then.... disappear. Three days later he returns with no knowledge of what happened. His unit frowned upon the constant AWOLs...

Anways, the worst time this happened to him is when he went out drinking, got so wasted that he blacked out. When he came to, he was in a plane. Getting ready for a combat jump. He came to just before he was about to jump out of the plane.

I can't imagine what that moment would have been like.

then follows up saying

Yeah, the worst part is, he was my team leader.

So, blots out on an airbase in Afghanistan in 2002, dropped three ranks because of his behavior yet is still the team (squad) leader?  Does that compute?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]
If the guy is worth a shit he'll have his orders authorizing him a combat parachutists badge.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From wikepedia.com

The Combat Jump into Iraq was done by the 173rd Brigade.

These Guys:
www.setaf.army.mil/Links%20-%20Patches/173patch_trans.gif

My wife's cousin was an officer with the 173rd AB Bgd, saw him on CNN while they were getting ready to jump into norther Iraq. I know he did the do, so, all other BS aside, it is wholly plausible for a 23 year old to have a combat jump under his belt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, BUT the Rangers and even SF (at least 3rd SFG) jumps with the 82nd all the time.

Rangers jumping with the 82nd all the time.  Now I've heard it all.  

Unless you've been there and seen it for yourself like I have, you cant say chit.... I was in 3rd SFG (support) Non tabber. I saw it all the time..
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#32]
After I left the 82nd Airborne Division for 5th Special Forces Group, I never jumped with the 82nd again.

I did tw oassignments with the 5th SFGA at Bragg (prior to their move) and the only guys that jumped with Division were pay losses that needed a jump.  I did my pay loss jumps with SWC or the Air Force.

We never conducted joint operational jumps.

In my last tour at Bragg (1990-6) the only SF guys I ever heard of jumping with the 82nd were pay losses.

There are no units of the 75th Ranger Regiment at Fort Bragg, and the Ranger Regiment operates under the operational control of an SOTF in what ever theater its elements deploy to, not the ground component commander as 82nd elements would.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I know a guy that has a sister, that has a mother (no father), that knows a guy, that knows a girl, that knows a guy, that knows a 26 year old guy that was in the Navy and jumped from a helicopter into the mouth of a volcano and single handedly capped the volcano with chewing gum that stopped a disaster in Chicago about a year or so ago.  

"23 year old claims he did a combat jump in the 82nd airborne".  It could happen.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I knew a guy who was just getting out of basic when his unit the 101st deploying for Panama.  They were in a hangar and saw all the soldiers running around.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing."

The next moring they woke up to the news Panama had been invaded and had to clean up all the empty ammo boxes in the hangar.

Invaded??? thats funny, I like to say we were "Invited".  We got there in june and just stayed a while.

82ndABN, I knew you would be along shortly to clarify.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, BUT the Rangers and even SF (at least 3rd SFG) jumps with the 82nd all the time.

Rangers jumping with the 82nd all the time.  Now I've heard it all.  

Unless you've been there and seen it for yourself like I have, you cant say chit.... I was in 3rd SFG (support) Non tabber. I saw it all the time..

Well, gee.  Does being in Division AND Battalion qualify as having "been there"?

Im just stating the facts, Its been 9 years since Ive been in. I saw what I saw. Believe it or not....

Im just saying, it could happen..
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Why do you want to doubt him?  If he had about 6 years or less in the Army he possibly could have made a combat jump.  Who did the combat jump in Kandahar?  Don't those guys get deployed regularly and go on different ops for support or otherwise?  
A co-workers son was killed on Mother's Day this year; he was only 22 and did 2 complete tours in Afghanistan.  He was well represented by the Army, his Army friends that came and attended spoke highly of him and his actions under fire.  There were no doubts that this young man had fire in the gut.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
raven, that joe would've been booted long before he reached the point claimed.  

AWOLs & drunk while on duty?  That equals an extremely short military career.  

As an ex-MP I can say that he would have been gone a long time ago. I tried to be very careful if the guy was DECENT to not have to record and charge someone under alcohol related situations. Certain ones I had no control over, but I took a lot of guys home when they were at that point where they could have been in serious trouble. They got 1 chance, if I caught them again, I gave no breaks. And more then a few officers found that I could care less about their rank. Jerks are jerks, my Desk Sergent got a kick out of calling Generals out of bed to come pick up their Col's.

It is stricter now then when I was in, ain't no way that story is true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top