Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 5:13:37 PM EDT
getting ready for the tailgate tomorrow. makig chicken and sausage gumbo. took the roux to a darker brown than ever before...and think i went over the edge. not black..but such a deep brown im worried i overdid it.

anyone know what it tastes like if youve gone too far?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really sure about the taste, but I wouldn't take it too far past chocolate color.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
getting ready for the tailgate tomorrow. makig chicken and sausage gumbo. took the roux to a darker brown than ever before...and think i went over the edge. not black..but such a deep brown im worried i overdid it.

anyone know what it tastes like if youve gone too far?

PSU vs those people from next door?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Bitter.  When making the roux, have a sifter of flour handy in case it starts browning too fast.  You need to "quench" it because the heat in the pot continues to cook it after you remove the heat.  Sprinkling a bit of raw flour into the pot...just a sprink will do, it will bubble and foam but stir it in...will quench the oil.

It also helps to pre-toast the flour before adding the oil to roux if you are using anything other than peanut oil.  Other oils are less heat stable, leading to a bitter roux.  Ignore if using lard as it too is pretty stable AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SMOKE IT!

A candy thermometer really helps in making fine roux.  Really.  Keep it below 330 and all is fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I admire a man who can make good gumbo!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you didn't take to the point of "bitter", it will have a "nutty" flavor, the darker the color of the roux the "nuttier" the flavor.  +1 on keeping the sifter of flour close to hand, but I think your screwed, the color you're describing sounds well into the bitter stage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I just made gumbo 2 days ago.
I loved it. Wife liked it (Shes not a seafood fan at all) and 2 out of 3 of the kids hated it.

Oh well, this aint fuckin Wendy's. You get it my way or you dont get it at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top