BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 3:29:35 PM EDT
Grandad, 76, Recalls Wrestling Coyote
Rabies Tests Under Way

POSTED: 12:26 p.m. EDT October 6, 2005
UPDATED: 5:02 p.m. EDT October 6, 2005

Story by Boston Channel

NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. -- A Northborough grandfather is recovering Thursday after wrestling with a coyote that attacked him and his 4-year-old grandson while they were walking on a nature trail.

NewsCenter 5's Rhondella Richardson reported that Arthur Cole, 76, and his grandson Nicholas, 4, were walking near the Assabet River about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday when the 45-pound female coyote attacked them from behind. Nicholas ran for help while his grandfather wrestled the coyote to the ground.

"I had a hold of her tail with my left hand, and I think I had my right arm under her head," Arthur Cole recalled, his right hand and left ankle thoroughly bandaged.

Nicholas saw the coyote biting his grandfather and ran about a quarter of a mile back to his grandfather's Birchwood retirement community home to get help.

"I thought that I should go get help," Nicholas said as he sat on his dad Peter's shoulders and recounted what happened.

Cole held the coyote down for about 15 minutes until help arrived. He was bitten multiple times and had to have stitches.

"I could feel the hind legs kicking out there, but I had my face right in the long hair on her back," Arthur Cole said. "I fell on top of the coyote, which was a tremendous stroke of luck because I was able to hold her down and she was all tangled up in my right arm and she was biting my right elbow. So this was a real attack. I think she was trying to kill."

Nicholas returned with his father, Peter, who made a 911 call directing police to the site.

"He's laying on top of it. The thing's alive. I can't do anything about it," Peter Cole told a police dispatcher. "You're going to need a restraint because it's mad."

Officers ended up choking the coyote because they couldn't risk shooting it with Arthur Cole sitting on it.

"It looked like a healthy coyote. It was small -- 45 pounds -- but it didn't look like it hadn't eaten. Looked like a full fur coat. Looked healthy to me. As far as being rabid, who's to know? But it didn't look rabid," Peter Cole said.

Health officials are still completing tests to determine if the coyote was rabid and if Arthur Cole will need rabies treatments. In the meantime, residents at Cole's retirement community have been been advised about the attack.

Copyright 2005 by . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Predators typically go after the old, young, and sick.

Pretty cantankerous old coot, though.  [abe simpson] "Run for help, boy! I'll choke her down!" [/abe simpson]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a new Mass retirement home game.

Rabid coyote wrestling!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I read in Revalations that in the end times 1/3 of the Earths population will be killed by wild animals. It's the begining of a new type of SHTF! Run away from the hills!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Rabid_Coyote got banned. He made an un-PC joke about Cubans.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Rabid_Coyote got banned. He made an un-PC joke about Cubans.

Yeah, but EdSr isn't 76, is he?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top