Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 3:00:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]

I take it you're using the pay version, not just the freeware version?

I rarely run antivirus.  I certainly don't run resident av software, it's too much of a system hog.  (I bought my computer to compute, not to self-analyze).  I have Norton, but I don't use it (it came with the motherboard).  I generaly use the Trend HouseCall scanner about four times a year.

I would say, as long as you're using a good basic toolbox of protection software--Zone Alarm, AdAware, SpyBot S&D, CCleaner--then you can use whatever virus scanner you have available, and it will probably be perfectly adequate.

I haven't had a virus infection since the 1990s, and even then it was confined to a single floppy.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Zone Alarm, Norton, and The Cleaner. So far so good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used Zonealarm (the free one) along with Norton AntiVirus for quite a while, and have not had any virus problems.  I occasionally have had to clean a trojan or spyware off my kids' computer.  I also run Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware every 3 days.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
ZoneAlarm conflicted with my Windows so I dumped it. I use the free antivirus that I get from my cable company. Works better and it didn't cost me a dime.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I use free Zonealarm, router hardware firewall, and McAfee AV.  Norton sucks so ridiculously bad.
Zonealarm is actually too invasive in my opinion.  As far as I can tell it installs itself at three levels.  First is the one that you double click to load the program interface, then there's another that shows up in MSConfig, then there has to be even another because if you disable what shows up in MSConfig, you get a warning on your next reboot that you've disabled "important" ZA features!  Just give me a Fin firewall and stop hiding files!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the anti-virus program in Zone Alarm good enough, or should I look for another?

ZA is not an antivirus program

It's a software firewall -> snake oil...

All it does is nag you whenever you install a new internet-enabled game or program... Windows XP now has the same functionality built in, and if you have a hardware firewall (Eg DSL/cable router) you don't need it anyway...

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Zonealarm is the best software firewall out there bar none for home use. Just know it's coded by Israeli owned Checkpoint Systems.  The free version is plenty and I've NEVER had any issues with it. If you want to test your firewall after you install it, goto www.grc.com and run the "all service ports" ShieldsUP test against your PC to make sure your blocking all incoming scans.

If you want to go with a hardware firewall for  home use, see the Netscreen-HSC appliance by juniper networks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never been able to convince my Linksys router to let me out the normal way.  So, I start Zone Alarm, let it recognzie whatever new program I have, then it somehow gets me through the hardware firewall.  Even when ZA is not in the systray, it's still running and getting through the firewall for me.  It's convoluted and I don't understand it but it works at least.

Quoted:

All it does is nag you whenever you install a new internet-enabled game or program... Windows XP now has the same functionality built in, and if you have a hardware firewall (Eg DSL/cable router) you don't need it anyway...

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
the "virus" protection in zonealarms is worthless!!! the only thing it scans is email attachments.(and only a couple file extensions at that)  no matter what your computer knowledge.  You should always have some type of antivirus installed.  to protect yourself AND others.  

nod32, avast, pandasoftware, commandondemand, f-prot, kaspersky, vexira, avg..   are all good programs i use regularly
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have used Zonealarm (the free one) along with Norton AntiVirus for quite a while, and have not had any virus problems.  I occasionally have had to clean a trojan or spyware off my kids' computer.  I also run Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware every 3 days.  

Same here but not every 3 days.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Exactly, its just an intrusive POS for people that don't know how their computer works.

Quoted:
I've never been able to convince my Linksys router to let me out the normal way.  So, I start Zone Alarm, let it recognzie whatever new program I have, then it somehow gets me through the hardware firewall.  Even when ZA is not in the systray, it's still running and getting through the firewall for me.  It's convoluted and I don't understand it but it works at least.

Thats not the Linksys thats preventing you from accessing the internet, that is ZA. If the Linksys was denying you access there is nothing ZA could do to enable it. Sometimes ZA bitches about a connection and sometimes it does not so you don't always know if its your net connection or if ZA is just screwing with you.

ZA really fubars connections to computers on a local lan. When ZA is on, I can't see one of my computers so I can't configure it as a safe zone in ZA.  When I shut it off I can suddenly connect again

If you don't need network connectivity besides simple stuff then ZA might be for you. If you only have one computer, no hardware firewall, and can't/don't want to know how this stuff works, then ZA is probably for you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I run it on my lap top free version
I travel a lot and deal with hotel wifi it does a very good job, I have nortons on the home 'puter and see no dif.
The company I work for uses network associates virus scan and in talking to the IT guru's  nortons while being very good, takes to much memeory and there is a company 'puter next to my own.
In a side by side I have yet to get a virus on any of the three.
Will I switch from nortons for the home computers (up to seven at one time) due to nortons three run and repurchase scam, most likely I will switch to the free virus scan
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AVG www.grisoft.com

+1

In my eyes Zone Alarm is good at a FireWall and thats it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#17]
ZA Pro and a hardware firewall is all I use .
Much less intrusive then the resource hog
AV programs . I have no problem with using it with
LAN and Router .

Safe surfing is really just common sense .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top