Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 2:43:14 PM EDT
On the news the police spokesman said once he fired at the cops the situation's dynamics changed and then it was all about saving the police officer's life.

TAMPA - Both a hostage and her captor were shot and killed by police in East Tampa early Friday morning.

A Tampa Police spokesman said multiple officers shot at Gary T. Brewer, 45, killing him around 5:20 a.m. in the Luxury Motel located at 4608 East Hillsborough Avenue.

The captive woman was caught in the cross fire, and later died at Tampa General Hospital. Police apparently did not intend to hit her.

Although officers originally tried to peacefully engage Brewer, Tampa police spokesperson Laura McElory says they backed away from approaching the room when they heard two loud blasts. They later discovered that was the sound of a dog being shot.

McElroy told reporters Brewer then emerged from the room holding the woman in a headlock with a gun to her head. When he saw police, she said, he aimed directly at an officer and fired.

Detectives believe the motel hostage may have been the captor's second. Before the motel incident, McElory said Brewer held his girlfriend against her will for a couple hours Thursday evening in her Dale Mabry Hwy. condominium.

It's unclear whether he knew the other woman who was injured. Police are trying to learn how he ended up at the East Tampa motel where the shootings occurred. The identities of both Brewer's girlfriend and the injured woman were not being released.

Public records reveal Brewer has been jailed within the past year in Hillsborough County for felony assault involving a deadly weapon, a third degree felony in Florida.

Tampa Police Chief Stephen Hogue says at least four officers, many of whom are veterans on the force, have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation. That's routine protocol for an officer-involved shooting.

news.tbo.com/news/MGBHMFDKIEE.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
On the news the police spokesman said once he fired at the cops the situation's dynamics changed and then it was all about saving the police officer's life.

TAMPA - Both a hostage and her captor were shot and killed by police in East Tampa early Friday morning.

A Tampa Police spokesman said multiple officers shot at Gary T. Brewer, 45, killing him around 5:20 a.m. in the Luxury Motel located at 4608 East Hillsborough Avenue.

The captive woman was caught in the cross fire, and later died at Tampa General Hospital. Police apparently did not intend to hit her.

Although officers originally tried to peacefully engage Brewer, Tampa police spokesperson Laura McElory says they backed away from approaching the room when they heard two loud blasts. They later discovered that was the sound of a dog being shot.

McElroy told reporters Brewer then emerged from the room holding the woman in a headlock with a gun to her head. When he saw police, she said, he aimed directly at an officer and fired.

Detectives believe the motel hostage may have been the captor's second. Before the motel incident, McElory said Brewer held his girlfriend against her will for a couple hours Thursday evening in her Dale Mabry Hwy. condominium.

It's unclear whether he knew the other woman who was injured. Police are trying to learn how he ended up at the East Tampa motel where the shootings occurred. The identities of both Brewer's girlfriend and the injured woman were not being released.

Public records reveal Brewer has been jailed within the past year in Hillsborough County for felony assault involving a deadly weapon, a third degree felony in Florida.

Tampa Police Chief Stephen Hogue says at least four officers, many of whom are veterans on the force, have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation. That's routine protocol for an officer-involved shooting.

news.tbo.com/news/MGBHMFDKIEE.html

Im fucking hope not
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's allmost verbatim what he said. I was suprised.

ETA: If you click on the above link you will find a link to the video of comments the Chief made.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Billy if you cant spare 10 seconds for a search could you at least scan all of page one?

I swear I meant to. I was watching TV and then the dog, I mean cat came in and ate my homework anmd then, and then, and then...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me be the first to say...at least no dogs were killed.

IBTL
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IBTL

Sorry wrong. A dog was shot except it was by the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTL

Sorry wrong. A dog was shot except it was by the bad guy.

Damn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top