BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 11:25:06 AM EDT
Ga. Mayor Criticized For Flying Mexican Flag For Slain Immigrants

POSTED: 1:49 pm EDT October 7, 2005
UPDATED: 2:17 pm EDT October 7, 2005

http://www.wral.com/news/5071518/detail.html

TIFTON, Ga. -- A south Georgia mayor is being criticized for flying a Mexican flag over city hall.

Tifton Mayor Paul Johnson said he's flying the red, white and green flag in memory of six local immigrants who were killed with guns and baseball bats during a crime rampage.

Authorities blamed the deaths on a gang that preyed on immigrants. Three people have been charged with first-degree murder.

Seven residents of have publicly complained that flying the Mexican flag is inappropriate, but the mayor insists it is the right thing to do.

Johnson said he considers immigrants to be a part of the community. He said the flag will fly for six days, one for each man killed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
God I hate the people who make up this country sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, foreign flags flying over our country, and we haven't even been attacked yet.  What a fuckhead.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF?

I hate it as much as the next guy that these people were beat to death, but it isn't worth giving up our soverignity over. Flying another nations flag over OUR government building is SICKENING.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I noticed the article didn't say which Georgia town.

If it was my town I'd be leading a group to storm city hall and take that flag down.  Then we'd have a recall on the mayor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd be leading a group to storm city hall and take that flag down.  Then we'd have a recall on the mayor.

Tifton Mayor Paul Johnson
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.tifton.net/

(left cold)

These Mofo's??????????????

Paul O. Johnson      Mayor
P.O. Box 229      Tifton, Georgia   31793

Phone:  229-391-3937      

Fax:  229-391-4722
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be leading a group to storm city hall and take that flag down.  Then we'd have a recall on the mayor.

Tifton Mayor Paul Johnson

Whoops!  I read through it too quickly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Have asked some of our brothers in the southern part of the state to help.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=211927

I am SO PISSED!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Woman at the city manager's office says the Mexican flag (no longer flying) was below the U.S. flag, and also below the georgia flag.

She declined to give her name.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Woman at the city manager's office says the Mexican flag (no longer flying) was below the U.S. flag, and also below the georgia flag.

As was stated in the other Mexican flag flying post.  Flags of different nations should NEVER fly on the same pole/standard.

I love these local yokels that think they can make up flag rules as they go.  Some local politician dies they fly the flag a 1/2 staff and ignore the law that says only the POTUS or the Governor can order the American Flag to fly at 1/2 staff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As was stated in the other Mexican flag flying post.  Flags of different nations should NEVER fly on the same pole/standard.

I love these local yokels that think they can make up flag rules as they go.  Some local politician dies they fly the flag a 1/2 staff and ignore the law that says only the POTUS or the Governor can order the American Flag to fly at 1/2 staff.

I agree. I'm just relaying what the woman told me.

Feel free to call. The ph # is posted above.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Also wondering...... were they jacked by other mexicans??????
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
More info on the story:

www.news4jax.com/news4georgia/5070057/detail.html

Some Residents Oppose Flying Mexican Flag In Sympathy Of Immigrant Slayings

POSTED: 9:54 am EDT October 7, 2005

TIFTON, Ga. -- Some citizens have voiced opposition to the mayor's decision to fly the Mexican flag at Tifton City Hall in sympathy for the six immigrants who died after vicious attacks one week ago in south Georgia.

Mayor Paul Johnson decided to fly the green, white and red flag -- donated by the parish priest of Tifton's only Catholic church -- under the American flag and the state flag in a gesture of solidarity with the Hispanic community shaken by the attacks.

Johnson said he put the flag up as an expression of sorrow to the Hispanic community. He will keep the flag up for six days -- one day per each man killed.

But some residents disagree and called the mayor and a local radio station to complain.

WTIF station manager Chris Beckham said the radio received seven back-to-back phone calls Thursday arguing that the United States and Mexican flags should not fly together.

Beckham said the callers thought it was the wrong thing to do.

But Johnson remains firm.

Three people from Moultrie in neighboring Colquitt County -- Stacy Bernard Sims, 19, Jamie Underwood, 27, and Jennifer Wilson, 26 -- are being held without bond in the deaths of the six Mexican farm workers. The victims were killed with guns and baseball bats during a string of robberies at trailer parks in and around Tifton on Sept. 30.

Authorities believe Sims and Underwood may have been part of a robbery gang that had been targeting immigrant workers, who often carry large sums of cash because they lack documents that some banks require to open accounts.

About 20 home invasions aimed at Hispanics have occurred within the past three months in Tift County and two adjoining counties. Thousands of Hispanic farmworkers pick crops across southern Georgia.

Alfonso Gutierrez, a Colombian-born priest at Tifton's Our Divine Savior Catholic Church, said Hispanic families were shaken.

"The families are very scared about this situation, especially the children," he said after the arrest. "I hope the arrests will stop the attacks on Hispanics."

So, Old Glory is still flying. Too bad the first article failed to mention that. I still don't like it though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone needs to do a midnight mission and cut that damn pole down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I agree. I'm just relaying what the woman told me.

Feel free to call. The ph # is posted above.

It wasn't meant as a flame to you, sir.  Flag issues are a VERY touchy subject with me for some reason.

Sounds like the flag had been taken down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top