Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 10:31:45 AM EDT
www.sierrafirearms.com/whatsnew.htm

Scroll down.

I don't buy it.  I just don't see how this could have happened, and that holster is burned on the outside.

I'd say it was a fire for other reasons, and the glock was indeed lost, but that the claims here are not true.

What says the hivemind?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The cell phone battery lit off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
BS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I belive it, glocKBs are that bad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree. I suspect if the circumstances of the story are true, the cell phone battery may have shorted out and started the fire.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
from teh picture I am guessing the firearm was in the kydex holster and it was in a fire.  the fire reached a temperature where 1 or more rounds fired in the magazine and this is why the back is blow apart like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the burn pattern.  I'd say that holstered Glock was in a fire, and some of the rounds in the mag cooked off, producing that KB effect on the grip.

ETA: the fire was started on the outside of the holster, and the choice of gun within the holster probably would not have made a difference as to the result.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
CellPhone Battery shorted or was internally damaged.

The LiPoly batteries used today have a very high energy density.

If they shortout they swell till they explode into a flaming ball of burning plasma I will did up some videos and other LiPoly fires
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I do believe the real story is (and it's been years and years since this happened) was that these photos are the contents of an individual's vehicle glove compartment after an unrelated vehicle fire.

Dean Spier (the well known Glock Anti-Christ) addresses this on his huge expanse of an anti-Glock website if I recall correctly.

The Gun Zone article also quotes some whack-O old time rec.guns poster that calls himself "Dolomite" (who happens to be a big-time Glock apologist).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#9]

This Glock suffered a very strange fate, and the Glock Co. did
not even wish to discuss it with it's owner. The story is that
the owner of this gun had to run in to a store to shop during the
summertime (hot). He placed this gun, holstered, on the floor of
his vehicle, with a loaded magazine and empty chamber. On top of
the gun he placed his cell phone, which was on. On his return, he
noticed his windows were fogged up, which in fact was smoke.

Somehow, this Glock caught on fire, discharging the rounds in his
magazine. The gun was obviously destroyed, as was the phone.

The million dollar question is how did this happen?? Did the
radiation from the phone somehow start the fire? There was
nothing else in it's vicinity. No one knows for sure...

Where do you keep your Glock and phone?

that's such BS, jumping to conclusions, etc. There is no way cell phone radio waves could cause a cook-off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#11]
When lithium batteries get hot enough they co into a thermal cascade. I think they contain boron (dont quote me on that) that produces that effect. They can go into thermal cascade from an internet or external short causing heat, or from being inside a hot vehicle. Cell phones and laptops have both been reported to cause fires in vehicles. Cell phone batteries have a worse reputation for small explosions as there is a big third-party markey for cheap batteries that are sub-standard.

There was shown a pic of a cell phone battery that exploded in someones pocket and put a hole in their pants. Luckily, the battery was pointed away from their leg and the phone itself acted as a blast shield.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This Glock suffered a very strange fate, and the Glock Co. did
not even wish to discuss it with it's owner. The story is that
the owner of this gun had to run in to a store to shop during the
summertime (hot). He placed this gun, holstered, on the floor of
his vehicle, with a loaded magazine and empty chamber. On top of
the gun he placed his cell phone, which was on. On his return, he
noticed his windows were fogged up, which in fact was smoke.

Somehow, this Glock caught on fire, discharging the rounds in his
magazine. The gun was obviously destroyed, as was the phone.

The million dollar question is how did this happen?? Did the
radiation from the phone somehow start the fire? There was
nothing else in it's vicinity. No one knows for sure...

Where do you keep your Glock and phone?

that's such BS, jumping to conclusions, etc. There is no way cell phone radio waves could cause a cook-off.

Not radio waves causing but..

There have absolutely been problems with defective cell phone batteries causing fires some of them serious.

It would be possible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Blah, blah, blah....
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have seen so much BS regarding Glocks. The 1911 worshippers in the shop would do and say some of the dumbest things about the pistol they hate so much. We had a sales rep clear a Glock, pull trigger and set the take down to still look like it was together. When a customer would ask about the Glock, the salestard would pretend it was holstered, he kept a finger tight to hold the slide on and when hew drew it he would let the slide fly off and hit the floor. He told the customers that it happened all the time and he told them they would melt if you left them in your car.

So they buy a 1911 and are pissed because it needs work to function correctly. Colts anyway. The Kimbers were a little better back then. We rented a Springfield 1911 and every Glock available. We rented the Colts once but they could not take the abuse. The Springfield did well but needed to be throated and polished up inside to make it 99% reliable. It never blew up and niether did any of the Glocks.

I like the 1911 but not a fan of it, I like the Glock as well not not a fan either. I dont own either one anymore. If I were to get another 1911 it will be an older war piece that is seasoned and looks like hell. If I wer to get another Glock it would be a 10mm becuase thats what I had before and it was fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah....

So pretty.  Look at the pretty flags
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah....

So pretty.  Look at the pretty flags

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
It was God punishing him for that cheap ass nylon holster/mag-pouch combo....

Didnt someone post pics of an exploded Surefire once around here?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Just goes to show you cant trust those 10 round mags!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess the pic is supposed to tell us that plastic guns can burn when a cell phone explodes? Or only Glocks, not other plastic guns? Gotta love 1911 devotees...

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It was God punishing him for that cheap ass nylon holster/mag-pouch combo....

Lol...I was thinking that too...it actually looks better burned...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I watched a magician saw a woman in half one time on TV.  I didn't believe that either.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I do believe the real story is (and it's been years and years since this happened) was that these photos are the contents of an individual's vehicle glove compartment after an unrelated vehicle fire.

Dean Spier (the well known Glock Anti-Christ) addresses this on his huge expanse of an anti-Glock website if I recall correctly.

The Gun Zone article also quotes some whack-O old time rec.guns poster that calls himself "Dolomite" (who happens to be a big-time Glock apologist).

How could this have happened years and years ago when it is a 3rd gen glock? Aren't 3rd gen Glocks relitivly new?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#26]
BS

I remember that photo from an LE bulleting from my state a couple years back.

That Glock was in a raid bag with a defective flashlight (I think a Mag Light, of all things). The flashlight had some sort  electrical fault, causing it to catch the raid bag on fire, which resulted in the visible damage.

Most weapons wouldn't pull through a fire that well, and a loaded polymer-framed weapon is going to experience more damage than an all metal weapon. That is just life and no indictment of Glocks, HKs, SIG pros, S&W Sigmas (well, maybe those), Springfield XDs or so many other weapons that I can't even list them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have seen so much BS regarding Glocks. The 1911 worshippers in the shop would do and say some of the dumbest things about the pistol they hate so much. We had a sales rep clear a Glock, pull trigger and set the take down to still look like it was together. When a customer would ask about the Glock, the salestard would pretend it was holstered, he kept a finger tight to hold the slide on and when hew drew it he would let the slide fly off and hit the floor. He told the customers that it happened all the time and he told them they would melt if you left them in your car.

Damn, that's pretty pathetic.  Did his mom used to beat him with Tupperware or something?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How could this have happened years and years ago when it is a 3rd gen glock? Aren't 3rd gen Glocks relitivly new?

Fingergrooves started showing up on factory Glocks in 1997.

"years and years ago" = ~ (years)³
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I bet it would still shoot.  There is not anti glock person on earth with Gun other than Glock that's had less malfunctions than me in about 8k rounds. ZERO. Can you say ZERO fuckers?  No kaboom.  just boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom, drop mag, slap new one in,  boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom, drop mag, slap new one in,  boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom.  As long as I feed it, it shoots.  I've never had a 1911 that was as close.  In fact, I had a Llama that was more reliable than a Kimber I had.  How ya like that shit?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003009.jpg

<cue Mission Glock: Impossible theme song>
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I bet it would still shoot.  There is not anti glock person on earth with Gun other than Glock that's had less malfunctions than me in about 8k rounds. ZERO. Can you say ZERO fuckers?  No kaboom.  just boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom, drop mag, slap new one in,  boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom, drop mag, slap new one in,  boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom.  As long as I feed it, it shoots.  I've never had a 1911 that was as close.  In fact, I had a Llama that was more reliable than a Kimber I had.  How ya like that shit?

Acctually my SIG 239 has more then double that and my 229 has more then quadruple that both with ZERO failers of any kind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fingergrooves started showing up on factory Glocks in 1997.

"years and years ago" = ~ (years)³

Ok, I thought finger groovs and rails were relitively new to Glock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
cell phone.. "radiation"... KB...

Nope, I don't buy it either. I bet one of those guys who wears tinfoil on his head to keep that evil cell phone radiation out () might believe it, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Acctually my SIG 239 has more then double that and my 229 has more then quadruple that both with ZERO failers of any kind.

What I'm saying though is.  No gun out there has less than mine.  I have mucho respect for sigs, and HKs.  In fact.  Sig is my second choice.  Very smooth gun. (action)  I like the way they feel.  I HATE the way HKs feel to me, but that's personal thing.  Glock is the best to me.  People dog them just to dog them.  Most people that do, are only doing so to fit in.  I used to be super anti Glock.  Till I shot one.  That's what I base my decisions off of.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/P1003009.jpg

You get more use out of that pic.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, that's pretty pathetic.  Did his mom used to beat him with Tupperware or something?

I fired him 2x but he was up the owners arse so he got hired back real quick. I actually liked the guy but as a professional in a serious buisiness he had termination comming. He was a 100% Colt 1911 culti. he pushed Colt 1911s on any person who walked in the door. Because the Colt 1911s were jammomatoc pieces f crap they always needed work in order to function properly. We had a rather large range and they always got  a free range visit so as soon as they pay for it pass FDLE they can shoot it. 8 out of 10 times there was a problem with the gun. Well he would offer to polish the ramp and throat it for a nominal fee. He did this on his spare time (without an FFL I may add) and a few times he completely screwed up the gun. The customer held the shop accountable because he was an employee and he used our shop for them to drop the gun off and for them to pick it up. He would use his locker for that purpose.  Sure maybe we could have fought it but it was far cheaper to eat the cost and give him a direct replacement.

I must say I did like that rep as a person and that antic was his only downfall. I really do liek the guys. He was awesome when peopel would come in witha POS like a Raves or Jennings and ask what they would get on trade. He would take it check it walk over to a wastebasket and drop it in. If they asked if it was good he would just say "its a throwdown"

He was the worst 1911 worshipper but many of the "experts" read guys who hung out at shop and range ALL DAY and drank all the coffee were all 1911 kool aid drinkers. Al other guns were junk to them. the best ting is all of them had to screw around with their pistls to get them to work right. not a single one of them had a box stock 1911 that worked. We also had bowling pin shoots. 8 pins 8 shots timed. My best friend who was my RO did the demo before each shoot. He used a Beretta mod 84 rental that was beat to hell and used .380 ball reloads that we manufactured in house. He cleaned them up everytime. All the guys with their $3k 1911s were real quiet.

I am not saying all 1911 owners are like that, in fact most arent, but some of the more hardcore fans of that pistol are outright full of BS on a  number of things, especially in regards to Glocks. Glocks are  like the  cause for all the woes in the world to them and pretty much most insane accusations against Glocks come from the core 1911 kool aid drinkers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I'm saying though is.  No gun out there has less than mine.  I have mucho respect for sigs, and HKs.  In fact.  Sig is my second choice.  Very smooth gun. (action)  I like the way they feel.  I HATE the way HKs feel to me, but that's personal thing.  Glock is the best to me.  People dog them just to dog them.  Most people that do, are only doing so to fit in.  I used to be super anti Glock.  Till I shot one.  That's what I base my decisions off of.

That is cool, I like and own Glocks too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Spontaneous Human Glock Combustion
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've had a G17, G20, G34, G35, Kimber (Custom Classic)1911, Springfield (Mil-Spec, customized, new internals)1911, Custom(gunsmiths kit) STI 2011, and a Custom(gunsmiths kit) Para Hi-Cap. All of the Glocks worked out of the box(G34 trigger work done). The Kimber and the Springfield worked out of the box. The STI and Para( both in Super and both for 10's of thousands of rounds) worked fine after they were built.

I've had Remington 700 rifles shoot great out of the box. I've had Remington 700's shoot just less than 2" groups, out of the box, after bedding work, after trigger work. I've had Rem 700's and Win M70's fail to feed properly out of the box.

If you own enough guns, you WILL see crap produced. If you own enough washing machines, you Will see crap produced.

EVERYONE makes lemons.

If you are on the net long enough, you will see that every producer of every item, makes CRAP. all the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Glocks do not spontaneously combust when they get hot.  Me and a friend regularly have ours hot enough from large volume firing that we just dump a water bottle over them so we can reholster without getting burned.  Sunlight? Radiation, i don't buy it.  The cell phone battery overloaded, it's the only reasonable answer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top