Posted: 10/7/2005 9:20:49 AM EDT
In an American school!!!!!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46703

Student who sat for Mexican Anthem rebuked
Enlistee-to-be feared honoring another nation might jeopardize military status

Posted: October 7, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A high-school senior who stayed seated during the playing of the Mexican National Anthem at a campus ceremony – fearing if he stood he might jeopardize his upcoming enlistment in the U.S. military – was reprimanded and sent to the school office.

The 17-year-old son of Robert Bedard of Elgin, Ill., a Chicago suburb, made the choice to stay seated during a ceremony honoring Mexican Independence Day at Larkin High School last month, the Daily Herald reported.

Bedard says his son was in the process of enlisting in the military and feared honoring another nation's anthem might jeopardize his status.

The boy's father, a lieutenant with the Elgin Fire Department, questioned how far cultural sensitivity has gone in his local schools.

"I am concerned that the Mexican Americans have unfairly monopolized the teaching of cultural awareness at this school," Bedard told the suburban paper. "At least that's the perspective of a parent. I'd love to be corrected."

According to the report, Latino students orchestrated an assembly for Mexican Independence Day, just as black students host an assembly commemorating black history month in February.
School board President Ken Kaczynski defended the celebration of different cultures.

"If we were teaching one culture's history over another, then we have an issue. But I don't think that's the case," Kaczynski said.

Last spring, a Larkin student wrote an essay lamenting the celebration of Mexican holidays in American schools, the Herald reported.

The teen faulted Mexican students, saying they shouldn't have lowered the American flag in favor of a Mexican flag on Sept. 16, 2004. School officials later said the American flag was raised again before class began.

"Of the ethnic groups at Larkin," Principal Richard Webb is quoted as saying, "the Hispanic group is growing at the most increased rate, and of that Hispanic group, the vast majority of students are Mexican-American."

Of the 2,550 students at Larkin High last year, 38.4 percent were Hispanic and nearly a quarter were new to English.

"If they have an assembly, I would be happy if they will not try to force students to honor patriotic elements of another culture unless they also honor our flag, our anthem as well," Bedard said. "It's just respect for both cultures."

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Give the kid his diploma, and fail the rest of 'em, until they re-take their civics/gov't classes.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
From PUBLIC LAW 94 - 344:

(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

Link
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
And the pandering to the Hispanics continues.  I predict Civil War II in 20 years.  I am not joking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what happens when you maintain an essentially "open border" with a second world nation,  complete with help/food/water stations along the way. Why not just provide a free bus service for illegal immigrants. Probably be cheaper than paying the few token officers we have patrolling the border.

Slow, controlled legal immigration leads to cultural integration, and social benefit.
Rapid, massive  illegal immigration leads to to cultural isolation and polarization and high social cost.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF?!  Fucking seperatist is what they are.  I saw and heard crap like that all the time at my old high school.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Assholes.

I'm a foreign national and guess what kind of flag is flying in front of my house right now and always.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: From PUBLIC LAW 94 - 344: (g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace Link
That's a stupid law. The American flag should fly higher and larger than all others.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

Link

Pull the school's federal funding.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#11]
when I was in High school a few years back the mexican club made flyers for their lockers complete with "brown pride"

so being me I made a bunch of flyers with a picture of some of our founding fathers. This had "white pride" written on it.

I handed them out at the beginning of school and before the day was over we all had to take them down
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link

It doesn't say anything about citizens having to pay tribute to it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#13]
That's unbelievable.  Where is the liberal outcry for this kid’s freedom of expression?

Didn't the libs BBQ some teacher a while ago for demanding that the punks in his class rise for the Star Spangled Banner?

Where’s the ACLU on this one?  Where’s Jesses Jackson when we need him the most?

Mexican Independence Day in September?  I thought it was Cinco de Mayo?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And the pandering to the Hispanics continues.  I predict Civil War II in 20 years.  I am not joking.

Do you think it's going to take that long?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Blue state.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
<SNIP>

Mexican Independence Day is September 16. Cinco de Mayo is to celebrate a Mexican victory over the FRENCH.

Even Mexico can beat France.

Until I see this story somewhere besides World Nut Daily, I will presume this whole story is not true.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#17]
The United States has never had to fear another nation, for our greatest enemy is ourselves.

We are our own Achilles Heel.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#18]
God, I'm sick of this kind of liberal, feel-good, all-inclusive shit.  If the Mexican immigrant students at that school are legal, they are Americans now.  They need to learn English (including our national anthem) and start exhibiting some American pride.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

on my way to work this morning, i was pondering how many generations until complete collapse if there is not a significant change. i came up with 3-5 max.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#21]
so on april 23rd those fuckers had better be celebrating St. Georges day and fliying the English flag as a celebration of Anglo culture. Note, the English flag is not the union jack, Anglo means English, not British.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

on my way to work this morning, i was pondering how many generations until complete collapse if there is not a significant change. i came up with 3-5 max.

I really hope it does not come to pass, but the combination of HUGE immigration numbers + ZERO assimilation means we have a growing nation within a nation, and that Mexican nation is hostile to America.  Maybe not overtly, maybe not organized, maybe not consciously hostile (I'm not a tinfoil conspiracy nut), but the practical effect is the same.  Look at immigration numbers, look at birthrates, look at the conflict of values (takers v. producers), and the end is in sight.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
F-k them,  My ass would have remained seated as well.    Infact, I probably would have skipped the rest of the day.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I would have stood and verbably ask why the American flag is being lowered!

oh well it only gets worse from here as it started before
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#25]
That is really sad.In the US no flag should fly higher.Even the state flag is always under the stars and stripes.

Sure I would have stood up for the anthem if I was wiping my azz with that countries flag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]
There is no such thing as a "Mexican-American"  they do not exist.  You are an American if you are born in this Country period.  If you immigrate legally from another Country and become an American citizen you are an American.  Not a Mexican American, not a French American, not a Canadian American.

I "explained" to some kids this last September 16th that they were not "Mexican" although they truely thought they were.  I asked them where they were born and then told them that they are Americans, not Mexicans.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#28]
It pisses me off that at every rodeo in our area the Canadian anthem is played and their colors run around the arena.  Every one stands like a bunch of lemmings and takes off their hats.  My hat comes off for no flag but that of the United States! God Bless America.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Philanthropy to a fault.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Mexican Independence Day is September 16. Cinco de Mayo is to celebrate a Mexican victory over the FRENCH.

Even Mexico can beat France.

Until I see this story somewhere besides World Nut Daily, I will presume this whole story is not true.

It was the beginning of their war for independance not the victory.  And it was the Spanish not the French they were fighting.  I always thought it was when they won a magor battle sort of like Bunker Hill.  The war continued but they had won a battle.  Per Google it is the day they started the war for independance.

I really don't give a fuck though because that is Mexican history and I care much more about American history.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's just say it's over
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#32]
With all the pandering to "Mexicans" in my beloved United States of America, I spit when I see the mexican flag displayed. Last I heard, this is America, not Mexico.

I'd wipe my ass with the Mexican flag if someone told me I had to stand before it, I'd puke and fart for the Mexican national anthem.

I'm not anti Mexican, not by a long shot, but, in America, I don't see why we have to be "Mexicanized" to be accepting of another race of people. I have no problem with people identifyng their culture, we're a melting pot nation, this makes us the strongest nation on earth IMHO. On the other hand, to put another culture before our own, being forced to render honors to the icon of another nation is total bullshit.

The principal of that HS should be hung from the flag pole and beaten with a baseball bat like a pinata... Fucking traitor....

For the Soldier that stood his ground and refused to pay honors to the Mexican flag, I have one thing to say, HOOAH!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There is no such thing as a "Mexican-American"  they do not exist.  You are an American if you are born in this Country period.  If you immigrate legally from another Country and become an American citizen you are an American.  Not a Mexican American, not a French American, not a Canadian American.

I "explained" to some kids this last September 16th that they were not "Mexican" although they truely thought they were.  I asked them where they were born and then told them that they are Americans, not Mexicans.

Fuckin' eh!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It pisses me off that at every rodeo in our area the Canadian anthem is played and their colors run around the arena.  Every one stands like a bunch of lemmings and takes off their hats.  My hat comes off for no flag but that of the United States! God Bless America.  

I have no problem paying respect to another (respectable) country's colors and hearing their anthem so long as the American Flag and our anthem is given prominence.  Just because you disagree with their government, and even some of their citizens, doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the true patriots amongst them.  It's no different than expecting to not be an American lumped in the same category as, say, Michael Moore.  

ETA: And you don't take your hat off for La Cucaracha (Or whatever their anthem is), you throw gang signs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Concur
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I salute no flag or stand for any other National anthem than that of the US ....or it's close allies in time of war,unless i am actually in the country whose anthem is being played (out of respect for its citizens)

Give that young man an attaboy and a rifle.He will make a good soldier!

Damn Straight!

There are only THREE Countries I will honor by Standing for their National Anthems and raising of the Flag. Canada (of course as I live here now), the USofA (Because they are great allies and DESERVE the repsect) and Scotland (Because half my immediate ancestry derives from there)

Though I am half German I do not stand for theirs, it has not been long enough since they acted stupidly, and I have not seen enough repentance from them to warrant it.

My take on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In an American school!!!!!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46703

Student who sat for Mexican Anthem rebuked
Enlistee-to-be feared honoring another nation might jeopardize military status

Posted: October 7, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A high-school senior who stayed seated during the playing of the Mexican National Anthem at a campus ceremony – fearing if he stood he might jeopardize his upcoming enlistment in the U.S. military – was reprimanded and sent to the school office.

The 17-year-old son of Robert Bedard of Elgin, Ill., a Chicago suburb, made the choice to stay seated during a ceremony honoring Mexican Independence Day at Larkin High School last month, the Daily Herald reported.

Bedard says his son was in the process of enlisting in the military and feared honoring another nation's anthem might jeopardize his status. HOOOH RAH to this young man, wise beyond his years, and why our military people are the best

The boy's father, a lieutenant with the Elgin Fire Department, questioned how far cultural sensitivity has gone in his local schools. Uh-oh, he beter watch out or they'll sack his ass...questioning cultural sensitivity

"I am concerned that the Mexican Americans have unfairly monopolized the teaching of cultural awareness at this school," Bedard told the suburban paper. "At least that's the perspective of a parent. I'd love to be corrected." Bingo....but thats ok, the libs love to give our country away

According to the report, Latino students orchestrated an assembly for Mexican Independence Day, just as black students host an assembly commemorating black history month in February.
School board President Ken Kaczynski defended the celebration of different cultures. defended the celebration of different cultures, you can tell this guy is a typical liberal piece of shit that needs a boot on his neck fucking puss nuts public educator, no good douchebag....

"If we were teaching one culture's history over another, then we have an issue. But I don't think that's the case," Kaczynski said. Fine, let the white kids do something special, have a white history month, let the white kids host a white history assembly...then you won't be teaching one culture over another

Last spring, a Larkin student wrote an essay lamenting the celebration of Mexican holidays in American schools, the Herald reported. Fuckin A right! read that sentence...Mexican holidays in American schools. AMERICAN MOTHERFUCKER, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT next we'll be celebrating Russian, Polish, Estonian, Latvian, Zimbabwe, Antartic, Argentinian, Brazilian, Japanese, Korean, Nepalese, Burmese, and Kenyan holidays, why leave them out

The teen faulted Mexican students, saying they shouldn't have lowered the American flag in favor of a Mexican flag on Sept. 16, 2004. School officials later said the American flag was raised again before class began. Hang 'em from the gallows, each and every one...they're either traitors or illegals, hang 'em high....or send them back to Mexico....

"Of the ethnic groups at Larkin," Principal Richard Webb is quoted as saying, "the Hispanic group is growing at the most increased rate, and of that Hispanic group, the vast majority of students are Mexican-American." So what, they can kiss my American ass, guess what you came toi America, don't like it, go back to your shithole south of the border

Of the 2,550 students at Larkin High last year, 38.4 percent were Hispanic and nearly a quarter were new to English. English Motherfucker, do you speak it? Well you better, or get out of our schools, I'm sick and tired of this BS....

"If they have an assembly, I would be happy if they will not try to force students to honor patriotic elements of another culture unless they also honor our flag, our anthem as well," Bedard said. "It's just respect for both cultures."Respect is earned, not forced or demanded

This country is doomed....
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Its coming. Sick of crap like this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Pull the school's federal funding.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#42]
This is linked from WorldNetDaily, which is the same rag that said Al Quida has 30 suitcase nukes...
I'll believe it when i see other independant reports.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#43]
LOWERING THE AMERICAN FLAG AT AN AMERICAN SCHOOL?!?!?

WTF IS OUR WORLD COMING TO...
GO BACK TO YOUR OWN GOD DAMN WASTELAND OF A FUCKING COUNTRY!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Why is WND publishing this story that occured in Sept of 2004 in Oct of 2005?  Slow news day?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Why is WND publishing this story that occured in Sept of 2004 in Oct of 2005?  Slow news day?

Hey, if the story is true, that'll be a first for WND, so I'll give them a pass on the delay.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I salute no flag or stand for any other National anthem than that of the US ....or it's close allies in time of war,unless i am actually in the country whose anthem is being played (out of respect for its citizens)

Damn Straight!

There are only THREE Countries I will honor by Standing for their National Anthems and raising of the Flag. Canada (of course as I live here now), the USofA (Because they are great allies and DESERVE the repsect) and Scotland (Because half my immediate ancestry derives from there)

Though I am half German I do not stand for theirs, it has not been long enough since they acted stupidly, and I have not seen enough repentance from them to warrant it.

My take on it.

It's not good to turn your back on your own people.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Exactly - that is how it should always be.

I stand (at attention) for the U.S. national anthem at football games and other events (I obviously don't salute it, nor would I even if I were in uniform), but standing at attention when you are IN the country in question is appropriate.

I honestly don't understand why ANYONE stood, other than Mexican CITIZENS??    Technically, this kid is the only American citizen who acted correctly, in my opinion.  (And once they stood, INS agents should have charged into the room and demanded green cards)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This is what happens when you maintain an essentially "open border" with a second third world nation,  complete with help/food/water stations along the way.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Tagged for home.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
"Hyphenated Americanism" Speech - Excerpts
Former President Theodore Roosevelt, October 12, 1915, in a speech before the Knights of Columbus

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance. But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else."

The rest of the excerpt is here. I haven't been able to find the complete speech online.

See also here for more of his speeches, including an 1894 speech, True Americanism, in which he says:

"It is not only necessary to Americanize the immigrants of foreign birth who settle among us, but it is even more necessary for those among us who are by birth and descent already Americans not to throw away our birthright, and, with incredible and contemptible folly, wander back to bow down before the alien gods whom our forefathers forsook. It is hard to believe that there is any necessity to warn Americans that, when they seek to model themselves on the lines of other civilizations, they make themselves the butts of all right-thinking men; and yet the necessity certainly exists to give this warning to many of our citizens who pride themselves on their standing in the world of art and letters, or, perchance, on what they would style their social leadership in the community."

GL

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top