Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
 That will wreck your day
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow...hope that turned out okay.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That was in Plano, TX not that long ago...

IIRC, it was a team of bank robbers with "assault rifles" that proceeded to shred 4 Plano PD units.  They actually escaped the intitial pursuit because the Dallas PD chopper could not get on location fast enough and the ground units couldn't stay within visual range without coming under heavy fire...

EPOCH

ETA: give me a sec and I'll see if I can find the article
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked to me like rounds hitting the suspect vehicle.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah it turned out okay. They caught the guys and they didn't shoot anyone. Someone posted a link the the news story last time this was posted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
daaaamn, took out that car FAST
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Appeared to be automatic weapons, no?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wanna say yes, I'm almost positive, but better wait for the link to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's one interview with an officer, Linky

Here's another article about arming Dallas area PD with AR's afterwards, linky

Unfortunately, Dallas is very much like Los Angeles. As Ron McCarthy said of Los Angeles, Dallas also suffers from the third world mentality. Dallas does not want its officers to appear aggressive or militant. Dallas has too many touchy-feely liberals, who want nothing more than a Police Department that looks nice, is highly visible and does nothing. Sadly, even the death of a police officer or an innocent citizen at the hands of these criminals will not change the mentality of the City officials. We are all the worse for it.

EPOCH

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]

glad officer went home ok
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, Dallas is very much like Los Angeles. As Ron McCarthy said of Los Angeles, Dallas also suffers from the third world mentality. Dallas does not want its officers to appear aggressive or militant. Dallas has too many touchy-feely liberals, who want nothing more than a Police Department that looks nice, is highly visible and does nothing. Sadly, even the death of a police officer or an innocent citizen at the hands of these criminals will not change the mentality of the City officials. We are all the worse for it.

EPOCH

I think the important sentence to highlight, given the leanings of soem peopel here, would be this one:

"Dallas does not want its officers to appear aggressive or militant. "

There ARE uses for these weapons in the hands of LEOs without raising fears that the oficers are somehow "militarizing" LE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: yeah it turned out okay. They caught the guys and they didn't shoot anyone.
Hehe, stupid crooks can't shoot straight and they probably ran out of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I watched it three five times and I still don't understand.

It looks to me as though shots were hitting the SUV that was sideways on the ramp.  The only other thing I notice is that there appear to be something coming from the center of the rear window (besides the BG hanging out the passenger-side window.  Is some one in the back shooting through the rear window?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope the officer was ok - He didnt go very far after the rounds hit . . . Hopefully it just disabled the car
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Automatic gun fire?I doute it, i can pull the trigger faster than the thunks you hear in the video.  Also keep in mind theres proabably more than 1 person shooting at him.  It looks like to me someone is fireing though the back glass in the SUV.  That would explain why you see something hit the glass, and would support my theory on more than 1 person fireing at the cop.

ETA: I watched the video again, alot more rounds were fired than i initally though, i still belive there was no automatic gun fire.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanna say yes, I'm almost positive, but better wait for the link to be sure.

I thought they were mostly illegal??

Not to crooks?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched it three five times and I still don't understand.

It looks to me as though shots were hitting the SUV that was sideways on the ramp.  The only other thing I notice is that there appear to be something coming from the center of the rear window (besides the BG hanging out the passenger-side window.  Is some one in the back shooting through the rear window?

IIRC, there was 3 suspects in the SUV and supposedly the police never fired a shot in response.  So figure one driver, one robber shooting out the side of the SUV and another blasting thru the back window.   They actually carjacked the Red SUV after crashing their first getaway car.  And the video you see is from the patrol car that got the closest to the suspects.

EPOCH

ETA: for more info google "Take Over Bandits" and Plano or Richardson.  This was our own little version of Heat in the DFW area...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]
"GO, GO, GO!!! GET THAT SON-OF-A-BITCH!!!!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Automatic gun fire?I doute it, i can pull the trigger faster than the thunks you hear in the video.  Also keep in mind theres proabably more than 1 person shooting at him.  It looks like to me someone is fireing though the back glass in the SUV.  That would explain why you see something hit the glass, and would support my theory on more than 1 person fireing at the cop.

ETA: I watched the video again, alot more rounds were fired than i initally though, i still belive there was no automatic gun fire.

+1

G
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand why cities would not want their officers well armed(AR-15)?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I was watching that day, I live very close to that.

There is another video the news showed where they had to ditch the vehicle and car-jack another.
It looked like "HEAT" for only 5 seconds though.

and YES it was "full auto fire".

I was like "HELL YEAH GET SOME!!!!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#23]
gosh damn
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
gosh damn

I imagine that officer heard a few jokes from his fellow coworkers...  Not sure what I would say after being lit' up by automatic rifle fire, but pretty sure "Gosh" would not be high on the list

EPOCH
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#26]
This is why police helos should have Miniguns!

Silly I know, but that would be a great video.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gosh damn

I imagine that officer heard a few jokes from his fellow coworkers...  Not sure what I would say after being lit' up by automatic rifle fire, but pretty sure "Gosh" would not be high on the list

EPOCH

No shit...    When he said that I thought of Goofy (Disney):

"Well garsh..."
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad the officer was o.k.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#29]
cops needed one of these

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
"GO, GO, GO!!! GET THAT SON-OF-A-BITCH!!!!"

Best part.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Because someone might get hurt...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
cops needed one of these

www.waffenhq.de/infanterie/m72_03.jpg

Is it, or is it not, a LAW?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cops needed one of these

www.waffenhq.de/infanterie/m72_03.jpg

Is it, or is it not, a LAW?

M72 Law, I just google image searched for "LAW" and picked that one at random

ETA:

I FOUGHT THE LAW AND THE LAW WON !

STOP, in the name of the LAW!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
cops needed one of these

I AM THE LAW!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

because cops are lousy shots????
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I know right where that is.  

[Granoloa]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EPOCH

I think the important sentence to highlight, given the leanings of soem peopel here, would be this one:

"Dallas does not want its officers to appear aggressive or militant. "

There ARE uses for these weapons in the hands of LEOs without raising fears that the oficers are somehow "militarizing" LE.

We sure don't need them armed with anything any more lethal.

The dogs wouldn't stand a chance!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats actually a Richardson Police Officer, not a Plano Police Officer.  Its just south of 75 NCE and the GBT.

As for whether its automatic gunfire, I dont think so, and neither do 3 DCSOs, 4 CCSOs, 2 RPDs, and atleast 4 PPDs I know.  They all seem to think it was either one of those Hellstorm type trigger deals, or just the fact that three weapons were being fired simultaneously.

Only 2 cars were disabled.  One is the one in the video, and the other was a Plano cruiser that was knocked out with one round to the engine block.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#39]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure the JBTs were just hassling innocent SUV drivers and they decided to stand up for their rights against the oppressive, overzealous officers.

( yes that's sarcasm for the know-it-all LEO bashers)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I was at Gun Masters in Plano about a week later and the owner had about 4 plano LEOs in the shop.  They were all picking up ARs.  Seems their Chief gave them permission to carry their own ARs and they ran out to do a group buy.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
other wiae nicknamed "The Getaway Bandits"

We have had them in our facility since captured.

These guys had nothing to lose and still dont .

Cant say much more than they go nowhere unless on double guard full restraint

A little police brutality should be in order Make sure to subdue them when they act up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top