Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 3:24:32 PM EDT
My Whirlpool gas dryer is just over a year old and it is giving me trouble. When I turn it on it starts out ok and the fire lights but after a few minutes the fire goes out.  The observation hole lets me see that the igniter is lit and there would be fire if gas was present.  There is an electric buzzing when this is happening.  I am wondering if it could be a solenoid or a thermostat.  Anyone know how to function check this problem?  To access the ignition system and solenoid the whole front has to come off of the dryer.  That makes it almost impossible to try to fire it up.  I don't want to have to call in a repairman if it is just a simple widget or something.

I have just over 40% in the 300 gallon LP tank that supplies the dryer so it aint out of gas.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Calling Dr. Frige!!!

Calling Dr. Frige!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
thermal fuse?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My Maytag did that. There were two coils in the gas valve. One that opens it for a few sec and one that hold it open. The one that held it open was bad. On mine you could replace the coils for about $25 for both. An easy job.

Edit to add when it goes out wiggle the connections at the coil and see if it energizes. That is how i found it. You can also meter out the coil to see if it is open.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean the "eye" before anything else. [sensor] And dryers are a bitch to work on. Not hard to figure out but just a PITA to take apart sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.  One thing that just occured to me is that the problem started soon after I purchased the last 100 gallons of gas.  The dryer is the only thing that runs on the tank.  Is there a problem that could blamed on the filling process or gas?

About 5 years ago my sister in law had some gas delivered in the dead of winter. The regulator would freeze up and have to be heated with a blow dryer to start working again. The gas company came out and fixed the problem by adding something to the gas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top