Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 3:20:16 PM EDT
Should you use silica gel along with the golden rod, or does this inpede the warm air flow of the golden rod?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, i make sure the rod is adequatetly lubricated for each use..........[grenade]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry. I meant do you use the Silica gel Hydrosorbent in your gun safe along with the Golden rod, which circulates warm air but does not absorb the moisture,like the silica gel. Or will the silica gel impede the use of the golden rod. Should you just use one or the other?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
DNS-
I would go with either/or. Using both the Golden Rod and an absorbent seems like overkill to me and I live in Atlanta where it is very humid. I have had no trouble using just Dessipaks.

But remember, abstinence is still the ONLY foolproof method.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I was stationed on Guam for 3-1/2 years. We
had no air conditioning. Our lockers had a "Heat
Strip" inside. If you didn't have one anything
metal would rust and your clothes would mildew,
etc. Unfortunately, the "Heat Strips" did not
bother the mosquitos of which laid in ambush in
the showers in "Regiment Strength" and would
swoop down on you like "Kamikazes". Down here
in LA I use an "Industrial" Heat Strip that is
protected with a perforated guard that has a
thermostat to maintain an even temperature. I
use desicant or "Vapor Tec" for stuff outside in
sealed zip locks, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Silica Gel packs that I purchased from Midway.  Browning said, in the paper work I got with my safe that If I took the plug out of the top of my safe it would comprimise the integrity of the fire proofing.  I swear I read that in my paperwork that came with the safe.  Using the Gel-packs I don't have any moisture problems in my safe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I use both. Cheap dehumidifier is Damp Rid, found at the grocery store. I take about a cup of water out a week. But my guns never rust. Hell, I have uncoated gun parts that dont rust in there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope.  I just use a goldenrod in my safe.  I believe the best place is at the bottom of the safe.

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry. I meant do you use the Silica gel Hydrosorbent in your gun safe along with the Golden rod, which circulates warm air but does not absorb the moisture,like the silica gel. Or will the silica gel impede the use of the golden rod. Should you just use one or the other?
View Quote

NO, if you put a Goldenrod in your safe you do not need to use the silica gel. They both serve the same purpose but each one works differently. Silica gel works by actually ABSORBING moisture. The Goldenrod works by keeping the air in your safe slightly warmer than the rest of your house and thus drives out the moisture, or at least keep the moisture from condensing on your guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top