Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:49:27 PM EDT
I just went to make some microwave popcorn.  I put it in, turn it on, step out of the kitchen for 2 seconds and hear "zzzt, zzzt".  I come in, see a yellow flash inside, turn it off, open the door.  I called my sister and she said, unplug it.  

I don't know WTF happened, there wasn't any metal inside the microwave and I took all the shrinkwarp off.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
plug it back in, put in your 98 degrees and new kids on the block cds shiny side up and start it,  It'll fix it for ya.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
plug it back in, put in your 98 degrees and new kids on the block cds shiny side up and start it,  It'll fix it for ya.

Damn, I'm psychic or some shit, I knew you were going to respond first!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So appliance gurus, how fvcked up is the appliance?  It's a GE, almost brand new, cost 200 new.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
still have the receipt?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
still have the receipt?

Shit, I don't know, my dad bought it.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm at work, so I have nothing to do other than post most of the day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It's target practice now

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.  I spend most of my day, sitting at the office, not doing shit.  I work a lot on weekends and after hours. But M-F 9-6 I dont usually do anything other than run get parts or make deliveries.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Run it, but don't stand in front of it!

I think you can get RF detectors to see if you have a leaking MWO....

As a side note, if you cut a grape in half  but leave a small bit of skin attatching the halves, and then put the grape flat sides down in the microwave, you get a pretty decent arc.

I don't know why, how, or if it's dangerous, but it's a great icebreaker at parties!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
So are you guys basically saying the microwave is FUBAR?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Bulletfest.  `Nuff said!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a Panasonic from 1989, it's still kickin'!   Except the little letters showing power level don't light up as they should, that's ok, keep mine on MAX
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just plug it back in and see if it works? It's not like its going to literally blow up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why not just plug it back in and see if it works? It's not like its going to literally blow up.

I just got off the phone with my dad, he says clean the inside.  He said he'd check it out when he gets off work.  

This could be interesting.

Update soon.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Got a Panasonic from 1989, it's still kickin'!   Except the little letters showing power level don't light up as they should, that's ok, keep mine on MAX

AssaultRifler-the official ARFCOM purveyor of 80's stuff that keeps on runnin'!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
But, was the popcorn done?  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Its a GE, right?  see if you can trade it for a GE-90 fan blade, or maybe a piston from a locomotive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
What side did you have your popcorn bag on?  You know there's a warning "THIS SIDE UP" for a reason.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quite a light show isn't it?  I had one go supernova on me a few months ago and yes, it was toast.  It isn't anything you did, just go get a new one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What side did you have your popcorn bag on?  You know there's a warning "THIS SIDE UP" for a reason.

Patty

Patty, it am 100% positive it was on the correct side.

Thanks,
Deej86
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Patty, it am 100% positive it was on the correct side.

Thanks,
Deej86

I'm just giving you a hard time Deej, I doubt it would ruin the microwave if you cooked it on the wrong side.  Undoubtably it either blew a fuse or there was something in the unit that shouldn't have been.

Have you disceted the bag to make sure no foriegn objects were attached to it?  What is the exact state of your microwave?  Is it black inside?  Does it smell like burnt popcorn?  Is it not working at all?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Put a cat in there..give him about 60 seconds on high, if he/she does'nt blow up, your microwave is fried. This is a very trusted method of detecting microwave efficeincy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Where was it arcing from???

( U can also put lightbulbs inside a microwave for interesting effects...... or so I've heard )
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Put a cat in there..give him about 60 seconds on high, if he/she does'nt blow up, your microwave is fried. This is a very trusted method of detecting microwave efficeincy!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
If it doesnt work after its plugged back in, it's most likely the magnetron.  A new one costs $50-100 depending model and where you get it from.  They arent hard to replace, but make sure you know what you are doing if you attempt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's the scoop guys:
Dad comes home.  cleans it out.  Plugs it in. Puts the popcorn in.  Turns it on.  "Zzzt."

Okay, so it's dead.  Probably a short.

Patty, the interior is stainless steel with a burn mark on the side.  It did smell like burnt popcorn.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#29]
got the crew two new Micowaves do to a 'Faulty' timer and yes Pop Secret theres more to the name then what they advertise.

I advise a 3" 00 Buck(nice destructive effect).....and enjoy
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
mother in-law has a 17 year old Samsung and my GE is at least 12 years old. Nuking poodles is bad for these ovens
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
My microwave did the same thing with the last bag of popcorn I put in there... Only I wasn't there to see the cool effects show. Because of this the microwave got stuck on 35sec and wouldn't turn off.... Then the bag caught on fire and filled the house with smoke.

Kind of a scary thinking you might lose your house because of a damn bag of popcorn. All you would've heard coming from my mouth if you were here was, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, OH FUCK, FUCK FUCK! SHIT FUCK MOTHERFUCKER, FUCK!

heh

Oh BTW, mine was a new GE microwave too. The thing still works, but I keep it unplugged when I'm not using it, and when I am using it I keep a close eye on it.

Hey, popcorn really stinks when it's burned badly don't you think?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My microwave did the same thing with the last bag of popcorn I put in there... Only I wasn't there to see the cool effects show. Because of this the microwave got stuck on 35sec and wouldn't turn off.... Then the bag caught on fire and filled the house with smoke.

Kind of a scary thinking you might lose your house because of a damn bag of popcorn. All you would've heard coming from my mouth if you were here was, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, OH FUCK, FUCK FUCK! SHIT FUCK MOTHERFUCKER, FUCK!

heh

Oh BTW, mine was a new GE microwave too. The thing still works, but I keep it unplugged when I'm not using it, and when I am using it I keep a close eye on it.

Hey, popcorn really stinks when it's burned badly don't you think?

Yes.  Damn, glad I caught it on time.  I was at home by myself.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top