BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 1:17:01 PM EDT
www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/12834068.htm

Posted on Thu, Oct. 06, 2005

Hollidaysburg students fight school rules about hairstyles

The Associated Press

HOLLIDAYSBURG -- Hollidaysburg Area High School students will petition the school board to overturn a ban on hairstyles and colors, saying the policy stifles their creativity.

Sophomore Nick Brenneman, 15, drew up a petition to overturn the ban and got 239 students to sign it. He said he will attend the next school board meeting to address the issue.

His hair was Kool-Aid red with blond and brown highlights before he changed it to auburn and brown to conform with the dress code.

The policy wasn't imposed to suppress freedom of expression, district spokeswoman Linda Russo said. "Part of our mission is to prepare our students for life after high school and the world of work," she said.
-

"I don't think hair color is ruining education," Brenneman said.

A female senior who dyed her hair pink was given in-school suspension after she refused to change it. She wore a wig for a while and now wears a bandanna.

Somebody give that lady a hand!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
How about letting them get it out of their system when they're young so that they don't repress it and do it when their out of school and DO screw up career opportunities or whatever the tightwads are scared about?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It's just hair.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You have got to be kidding.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's just hair.

Yep.

So why the push to let the little snots dye it bizarre colors?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about letting them get it out of their system when they're young so that they don't repress it and do it when their out of school and DO screw up career opportunities or whatever the tightwads are scared about?

You are kidding, right? Why is there this crazy notion that everyone has a wacked-out demon inside and that sooner or later they will have to exorcize him from their system? I didn't drink, do drugs or act like an idiot in school. And now, at 37, I feel NO need to do that now. I don't really care if the little crap-for-brains explode because they held their wacky side in.  

The lady is right... school's job IS to prepare the kids for life after school. I am speechless that someone in the school system actually understands what their job really is. You GO GIRL!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They'll just find other absolutely retarded ways to fuck up their life and then blame it on someone else.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are kidding, right? Why is there this crazy notion that everyone has a wacked-out demon inside and that sooner or later they will have to exorcize him from their system? I didn't drink, do drugs or act like an idiot in school. And now, at 37, I feel NO need to do that now. I don't really care if the little crap-for-brains explode because they held their wacky side in.  

The lady is right... school's job IS to prepare the kids for life after school. I am speechless that someone in the school system actually understands what their job really is. You GO GIRL!!!

I never did those things either, and still don't - but do you honestly believe that a 15 year old with blue hair will NEVER amount to anything?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never did those things either, and still don't - but do you honestly believe that a 15 year old with blue hair will NEVER amount to anything?

How far up which orrifice did you have to go to come up with that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you do as a teen will follow you through life.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, I don't feel that way. Then again, I don't think a 15 year old that isn't allowed to dye his/her hair blue will be damaged for life by the ev1l repression of the School Board.

And FWIW, when I was that age the hottest girl I ever met had bright blue hair.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What you do as a teen will follow you through life.

BigDozer66

No it won't.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I think there are lines to this all.

I went to a high school for the performing arts (yes, like Fame...). We could wear just about anything and there was just about everything from the preps with their skinny ties in jazz band all the way to the sculptors with 5 color mohawks.

I think you have to let kids *try* to express themselves, and teach them to play the corp game later if that's what they want. The problem with making them dress a certain way is that who is to say what is the "right way" to dress? I mean there is common sense when it comes to hate groups, or sexually explicit stuff, but otherwise, let them find themselves.

I think kids will turn out as good as they possibly can when you give them room to explore expression, but within guidlines that won't let them get screwed up for life (drugs, pregnancy, jail, etc.). Hair color? Who cares, most will get over it by sophomore year in college.

Of all the freaks I hung out with in high school, there are plenty of examples of A students who dressed all conservative, now in rehab, and can't even make rent in a tiny apartment...AND there are the freaks who had 20 piercings who own successful businesses and today dye the grey out of their hair instead of putting purple in.

I don't know the answer, but the more we try to control the little habits of kids and people, the more we go toward a society that I really don't want to live in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top