Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 12:57:29 PM EDT
has anyone seen a device with a factory 20 amp plug.  it has a ground and one vertical prong and one horizontal prong.
i see 20 amp receptacles in stores all the time and i see replacement plugs but i have never seen a device that runs on 20 amps or has a 20 amp plug.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
that is a dedicated 20a receptical. that means only one receptical per breaker.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
has anyone seen a device with a factory 20 amp plug.  it has a ground and one vertical prong and one horizontal prong.
i see 20 amp receptacles in stores all the time and i see replacement plugs but i have never seen a device that runs on 20 amps or has a 20 amp plug.  

Some window air conditioners and old copiers use 20A plugs.  Maybe the floor buffing machines need 20A?

Shok
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Just don't pay too much for one  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

oh devices.

lyolopholizers
centrifuge
vaccuum pumps
-80 freezers
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just don't pay too much for one  

yea i know.  i got a bunch of the 15 AMP receptacles for a buck each.
different ones were selling for anything from 1.00 - 3.00 each but they all looked the same.
i was told the circuit breaker protects the wire so i used the 15 amp receptacles with #12 wire and a  20 am Circuit Breaker.  that way you could never overload a receptacle because you can't get 20A plug to fit in a 15 AMP receptacle.  the 20 amp also looked odd and i thought if i ever had a 20 amp device i would need a dedicated circuit.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on whether it is 110v or 220v .
Both use a plug like you desribe but the 110v plug the blade that is sideways is on the(stops to go look) right if the ground prong in on top.

A 220v 20 amp plug it is on the left.

There are plenty of 20 amp outlets that are duel outlets just like in your home, almost all commercial buildings have them. The right slot looks like a sideways "T"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top