Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 11:55:30 AM EDT
Awhile back I saw a pair of goggles on the History channel that were somewhat "bullet proof"

If I remember right they could stop a steel ball bearing traveling at 200 mph...or something along those lines.

Anybody know what Brand and model of goggle im talking about?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you need a pair to protect your precious eyes from when your boyfriend skeets on your face?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you need a pair to protect your precious eyes from when your boyfriend skeets on your face?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Nope.  I dont want any steel ball bearings or shrapnel putting my eye out.  

Normal plastic goggles can easily block skeet....this would be overkill.

BTW...why would a guy be throwing clay pigeons at me in the first place?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Pirate punch protection?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
WileyX QCB goggles?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I present Epsilon's other post for those confused by the above comment.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=395645
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WileyX QCB goggles?

Those claim to fit "MIL PRF 31036 Ballistic Goggle Standards" but I can't find what that specification requires.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Epsilon

I don't know why people are thinking this is a stupid thought on having such a pair of those,
12 years ago I was working on a Jeep seperating the balljoints with a Snap On  air hammer
with the proper attacthment on it for doing the job, while I was wearing safty glasses.
A piece of metal went through the safty glasses and went through my left eye, not in it,
through it ! it went in at the 1 o'clock position at the cornea through the eye partialy
severing the lower part of the retna, lodging in the bone of the eye socket.

The first surgery took 7 1/2 hours to remove the piece of metal that was wedge shaped
and about the size of a 22 cal slug. The first report to my wife and brother in the waiting
room was that my eye was a total loss, but thank God that the eye surgeon ( Dr Ramsey
of the Phillips Eye Instatute in Minneapolis MN saved it. A month later a second surgery
had to be done to repair the muscle tissue around the eye because the swelling was pulling
the eye away from what was left of the retna. Both surgerys cost over $76,000.00 and
workman's comp paid for it, and now I have 20/300 vision but still have my real eye and
not a glass one.

So don't make fun of what you don't know about, even if it sounds dumb why would you
buy such a thing or the person that buys them, to me what ever they would cost, they
would be worth every dollar spent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Some models of Wiley-X sunglasses and tactical goggles have been tested to withstand a 12 gauge shotgun blast from 10 yards away helping Wiley-X to gain not only national but international notoriety.

Got this from here:

Optics Planet
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Awhile back I saw a pair of goggles on the History channel that were somewhat "bullet proof"

If I remember right they could stop a steel ball bearing traveling at 200 mph...or something along those lines.

Anybody know what Brand and model of goggle im talking about?

200MPH is less than 300fps.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Some models of Wiley-X sunglasses and tactical goggles have been tested to withstand a 12 gauge shotgun blast from 10 yards away helping Wiley-X to gain not only national but international notoriety.

Got this from here:

Optics Planet

12ga loaded with what?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got this from here:

Optics Planet

12ga loaded with what?

Not sure, but here are some reviews on them from our boys overseas:

WARNING:  THIS LINK CONTAINS SEMI-GRAPHIC IMAGES OF INJURIES SUSTAINED BY OUR TROOPS.

Wiley Reviews
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Guys, you only get one PAIR of eyes per lifetime. No do overs when it comes to your eyes.

I stress to everyone I work with in security and law enforcement that you should wear eye protection on the job, all the time. Sun glasses or shooting glasses. I've heard of cops getting spatter from a windshield in their eyes while on a chase and the bad guys were shooting the cop car.

It's one of the reasons I don't always mind wearing perscription eye glasses all the time. I've had harsh cleaning chemicals sprayed on me when someone knocked over a dispenser one time. My glasses caught it.

As stated before, what is your eyesight worth to you? Is it worth the hassle of not wanting to put on a pair of glasses or spending $100 on a set of Bolle or other rated eye protection?

Man, as soon as they perfect transparent aluminum, I'll be standing in line to get a set of lenses.

pointtarget, glad you have your eyes and some of your sight left. Very gifted surgeon and you should send gifts every Christmas, although you paid for it and he made a tidy profit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the ESS NVG profile goggles.  I like them.  They even make some with a little fan in the top so they won't fog up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's what I wear.  Nice product.  I don't think you'll do much better for the money.

www.gunnersalley.com/product/ESSGLASSES
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top