Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 11:19:09 AM EDT
Well, I grabbed my shotguns out of the safe, and one of my ammo boxes that I thought had dove load in it. Well, when I arrived at the range I realized I had 8 boxes of 3 1/2" #2 /1 9/16 oz. After shooting 3 rounds of traps (25 x3) with a tee shirt I had to quit. I thought I would be tough and it would not bother me, sheesh, that was a mistake.

Needless to say, check your ammo before heading to shoot traps/skeet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems like they busted me. The guy running the trap range got a few laughs. He had ammo, but I thought I would just shoot what I had. I am making sure I grab light load Saturday when I go back
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Most skeet and trap ranges will not let you use shot larger than 7 1/2 due to the distance the larger shot will travel.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll tell you what not to do when trap shooting with a "load your own" clay pigeon thrower:  Don't, I say again, DON'T stand in the arc of the throwing arm.  That little warning sticker on the arm- they mean it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll tell you what not to do when trap shooting with a "load your own" clay pigeon thrower:  Don't, I say again, DON'T stand in the arc of the throwing arm.  That little warning sticker on the arm- they mean it.

LOL!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OH YEAH!!!  That and crushing my finger in the bolt shall never be repeated again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
off subject - what is the cheapest shotgun you can get away with for shooting trap. I wanted to get into it but don't want to spend big bucks until I know I like it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
off subject - what is the cheapest shotgun you can get away with for shooting trap. I wanted to get into it but don't want to spend big bucks until I know I like it.

I used my Win 1300 pump I bought for $166 in 1986.  There's no There aren't any doubles in trap, so you could use a single-shot if you wanted to.

Edited for poor grammar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My first time was with a used $50.00 H&R single shot 12g. Did okay, but that thing KICKED!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used my Win 1300 pump I bought for $166 in 1986.  There's no There aren't any doubles in trap, so you could use a single-shot if you wanted to.

Edited for poor grammar.

Yes.That's my favorite pizza topping too!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I like my Beretta AL391 for $550, but its hard to find a deal like that again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't feel bad. Last month some guy was caught using SLUGS on our trap range. Granted, the clay pigeons were on sticks and not in the air, but still, there's no back drop...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't feel bad. Last month some guy was caught using SLUGS on our trap range. Granted, the clay pigeons were on sticks and not in the air, but still, there's no back drop...

I knew a guy who did that accidentally.
One of his light loads had a little extra kick.

Ooops.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited for poor grammar.

Actually, there is a doubles trap event.  Quite a challenge.

Just about any shotgun will work for trap.  Pumps, Autos, Single shot.  Mostly 12 Ga, 20 will work too.

Use Modified or Full choke , with 7 1/2 or 8 shot.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top