Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 10:55:55 AM EDT
I'm looking into getting a second dog.  Anyone have first hand info on Rhodesian Ridgebacks?  I've already read a bunch.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool dogs!  They are very loyal, get along well with other dogs, and run like freakin' greyhounds!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a vet. The ones that I deal with have been very pleasant to work with, but my sample size is small- there aren't many around here.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Only had first hand experience with one bitch.  She was as pleasant as most Setters, loved to run like a greyhound and was far from a hyper dog.

It wouldn't seem right to keep such a dog in a normal suburban home unless you are very good about taking them out running every day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely awesome dogs. My Aunt has one called "Sultan"...It's just a big softie, but I'd imagine it'd be good for taking down goblins etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My friends uncle has one, I took care of him for a week.  Very cool dog.  Damn big though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is more information on the breed.  They originally were used for hunting lions.  When you see them run, you'll believe it!

WHAT IS A RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HISTORICAL INFORMATION

The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a native of South Africa. Its long history dates back to the early 16th century when European settlers found a domesticated dog with the Hottentot tribe. This dog, which had a distinctive ridge of fur along its spine, was selectively bred with dogs from the European continent to develop a new breed now known as the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

This breed was developed to meet the wide-ranging needs of a hunting dog in the African veldt. The Rhodesian Ridgebacks of lore were capable of performing such diverse tasks as flushing a few partridge, pulling down a wounded stag, or guarding the farm from marauding animals and prowlers at night. It was also able to withstand the rigours of the African bush. While many of these traits still contribute greatly to the breed's temperament, the Ridgebacks of today are more often found in the show ring or in the home of a loving family. The Rhodesian Ridgeback makes an attentive companion that is devoted to its family.

NOT THE DOG FOR EVERYONE

Possessing many of the characteristics generally associated with hounds, the Ridgeback has a quiet, gentle temperament and rarely barks. While able to enjoy lazing around in a patch of sun, or in front of a winter fireplace, a Ridgeback can be instantly alert if a stranger should appear and zealous in his pursuit of legitimate prey. Though he may give the impression of a big, lazy, slow-moving animal, the Ridgeback can be a threatening presence as a watchdog. Conversely, the Ridgeback's affectionate disposition can make him a trustworthy companion for a child. Properly trained, he is a pleasure as a family pet, hunting partner, show dog, or obedience competitor. An untrained Ridgeback, however, can become a terrible nuisance! Because of his protective instincts, a Ridgeback should not be trained as a guard dog but, rather, be effectively controlled through obedience training. Moreover, proper training must also be extended to children in the appropriate rules of interaction and respect for all dogs they encounter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The ones in the U.S. are probably bred, trained and used differently. I spent quite a bit of time in Zimbabwe (formerly known as Rhodesia), and the ones I saw there were downright vicious.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a six year old male.

They are great dogs but beware they are always looking for something to eat. Ours is a big-time counter surfer so we have to put everything away. He's great with our two kids (4 & 2) but there was a little adjustment period when we had our first child. He also became very protective after the kids arrived. He is (as they all are) a bit standoffish with strangers.

I'm not sure if you've ever owned a hound before but hounds are...well...they are hounds. They will only listen long enough to get some food out of you Ridgebacks also need a lot of excersise so be prepared to do a lot of walking or running.

That's all I can think of for now but if you have any specific questions feel free to post them here or IM me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one for about a year. Very predatory. Very aggressive. Be careful if you are getting a stray/ rescue dog. My guess is that once they start to hunt, you have your work cut out for you. Get one as a pup and you will probably be ok.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
a lot of prey drive. It seems they would be exceptional dogs in the correct environment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
My sister has two of them.  They both seem to be of lower than average intelligence.  One is extremely moody and will snap at anyone, including my sister and her husband, when she's tired.  The other dog is a complete wuss and is even afraid of stepping on blades of grass. But he will also growl and snap if he is startled.

I think they like them only because they are big and intimidating.  Other than that, I'd think there are a lot better breeds out there.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
We have two of them.  1 male, 1female.  The male will be 3 the first of the year and the female will be two at the same time.  They are large dogs, larger than the breed standard. The male (Reilly) is around 100 pounds.  The female, (Maggie), is around 80.  Again, both are larger than the breed standard.  Maggie is super lean, while Reilly could stand to make a few more laps around the yard.  We keep the dogs on an invisible fence and have had zero problems with containment.  Reilly went to obedience as a pup, Maggie did not.  Definitely work with this breed on obedience.  While they do have tremendous energy, they are very happy to just lounge around the house.  Anyone that questions the intelligence of the breed just doesn't know them well.  The breed is super smart, independent, and thick headed.  They are thick headed because they can be, they don't need you as much as other breeds.  They WILL figure things out for themselves.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks were used as hunting dogs in southern Africa by the native people and after colonozation by Europeans and cross-breeding with their dogs, the Europeans.  Stories of the breed being used as a lion hunter are greatly exagerated.  True, they were used for that purpose, but primarily were used to hunt deer and other like sized game.  The lion stories do hold some truth but the frequency of this purpose is greatly exagerated.  RR's are sighthounds and would track and follow the game leaping through the tall grasses.  If you look at a RR you will quickly realize that they are pure power.  They do tend to have a high prey drive, but that can be nullified in the puppy stages with a little work.  Neither of mine appear to be gun shy either.  
Both dogs have been super with houseguests, if not a little over eager.  They have never displayed aggressivenes to anyone other than a brother-in-law having words with my wife.  Of course most people would have sense enough not to take that tone with 200 lbs of dog at their feet.  No harm done though.  We are expecting our first child in about a month and while I do expect it to be interesting, I don't anticipate any problems based on stories from others.  
I'm going to quit rambling now.  If there are any other questions you have, I'll be happy to help, just ask.  There is a very good book, and at the moment I can't put my hands on it.  Be very careful of your breeder.  These are not inexpensive dogs and some people see opportunity for a quick buck as with any other breed.  We were somewhat blind with our male, even after quite a bit of research.  With our female things turned out much better.  Do your homework and you will have a super companion with loads of personality.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Just read the other thread.  I think that if the dog grows up in the environment that you are talking about things will be okay.  I really suspect that anyone attempting harm on me or my family would receive adequate warning from either dog before SHTF.  Talk to some breeders though.  In my checking I didn't find ONE that was unwilling to talk.  And talk extensively.   BTW, they don't shed much at all either.  

rrcus.org/

www.andyboyridgebacks.com/

This should give you a start.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a 1.5 yr old rhodesian/shepard mix.  she is beautiful, sweet and smart (too bad she isnt human!!!)  i will only have rhodesians from now on since she really is the perfect dog.  best thing is we got her from the pound when she was 6 weeks old for only $85, yet she is literally worth a thousand times that to us.  protective enough with a bark that would make an intruder think twice about stopping by, but wonderful with the neighborhood kids who run up to pet her.  great temperment as well.  my brother has a husky who makes her a little nervous but that thing is full blooded and not fixed so he scares the crap out of me sometimes too.  
anyway high energy level and did like to chew when she was younger, but i wholeheartedly recomend a ridgeback.  
oh, and wait till it gets scared or protective- the hair (that naturally grows on its back in a backwards stripe) stands up on end and its the weirdest thing ever!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My freinds have a small female but she runs and plays with my German Shepherds and his. She is a cool dog loves kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top