Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 9:40:03 AM EDT
I'm heading to a local gun show on Sunday here in PA. I have made up my mind to get a Garand at some point just because of the history of the rifle. Here's the situation I am in. There are no CMP affilliated gun clubs anywhere near me and that is the only qualification I am missing to order one direct from the CMP. So I thought screw it, I'll look for one at the gunshow on Sunday. Is there anything to look for or avoid, or is there a certain price where I should draw a line? Basically any tips on how to buy a Garand?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that most gun shows are selling what are CMP garands but with an inflated price tag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Garand Collectors Association is a 'mail order' club so join that.  

http://www.garandcollector.org/

Get your garand from CMP.  You won't be disapointed.  Most of the garands on those gun show tables came from the CMP.. Why not cut out the middle man>  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Do you have a state gun owners association?  When I bought my CMP Garand (back when I lived in MA, I didn't belong to any gun clubs either but I did belong to a state organization called Gun Owner's Action League.  They were affiliated with the CMP so that met the requirements.  Membership was a lot cheaper and didn't have to drive out to any clubs to join.  :)

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Second the Garand Collectors Association.

www.CO-AR15.com (Colorado AR15 Shooters Club) recently was approved as a CMP recognized club too. Hint - hint Colorado guys. But anybody is welcome. Most are from here anyways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The online club sounds great, but isn't there the requirement of shooting a match?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The online club sounds great, but isn't there the requirement of shooting a match?

Get your C&R FFL -- that satisfies the shooting requirement.  See www.odcmp.com for full details.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I just saw that CCW satisfies the shooting requirement!  

Looks like if I join that online club, I am good to go!!  

Shoot, now what do I buy at the gunshow?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just saw that CCW satisfies the shooting requirement!  

Looks like if I join that online club, I am good to go!!  

Shoot, now what do I buy at the gunshow?

Beef jerky and beanie babies, duh!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Garands at gunshows around here start around $500 for one with a cast Century receiver.
Don't know how they work, but the receivers are very rough looking. The better ones
(with GI forged receivers) go for upwards of $900.

I bought both of mine (Springfield and IHC) from the weekly trader paper. Now that I
am eligible I intend to buy one from CMP. Like ARs, SKS, and Lays potato chips, you
can't have just one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top