Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 9:47:52 PM EDT
This is the statement I wrote up to provide my employer.  This all happened outside my work on smoke break.  So, 1st off, I wasn't carrying since it's against policy to carry in the building.  2nd, I was worried the whole time about getting fired, so you guy's will have to forgive me for not totally beating the shit outta this guy.  But anyways, figuring I'm gonna have to give my employer some sort of statement, I wrote this up since it's fresh on my mind...

While on a smoke break talking to my ex wife a couple approached me and the male started yelling "Hey man, what's in your ear?  What's in your ear?  He then belligerently asked for a cigarette.  I told him no and that I was on the phone.  I then began to turn away and he asked me to give him some money.  At this point he continued to move towards me and became more confrontational.  I then moved to the front entrance, which are glass doors.  This would enable the security guard to see me and what I felt to be a deteriorating situation.
I told him panhandling is illegal and that he needs to leave me alone and continue down the street.  He became more aggressive, and I in turn became more aggressive in hopes dissuading him from continuing this any farther.  He then stuck his right hand in his front right pocket and advanced on me further.
At this point my back was to the locked doors, doors which open outward.  He was now so close to me and so in my face that I could no longer see his right hand.  Out of fear that he might be pulling a knife, I shoved him away from me, at which time he swung at me with his left hand, making contact below my right jaw line.
In order to open up the amount of area around me in which to maneuver in and defend myself, I immediately lunged towards him and struck a blow to his head with my right fist.  He moved back for a moment, and then regained his aggressive composure.  At some point the security guard made his way out the door, and upon seeing this I asked him to call 911 while I tried to keep him there until the arrival of the police.  The male continued to stick his right hand in his pocket, and each time I would continually tell him to remove his hand or I would be forced to incapacitate him, though I didn't use those words.  After he removed his hand the last time, what appeared to be some sort of homemade pipe came out of his pocket.  Both he and the female immediately started to scream out "Look what fell out of his pocket!” referring to myself.
The couple then appeared to be more urgent about leaving the area.  Knowing that the police had been called, and that there were numerous officers on bicycle within blocks, I began to stand in his path in an attempt stall his exit.  I kept my arms outstretched in an attempt to show that I was not combative, while keeping an eye on his hands to make sure he did not pull out any kind of weapon.  I told him over and over that if he made a move for the pocket, I would be forced to react.  This seemed to work.  At one point he changed his direction of travel in an attempt to cross the street.  I stood in front of him again, at which point he shoved me out into the street.  A passing truck stopped, coming within what appeared to be feet of hitting me.  I then began to corral the male back onto the sidewalk, where he continued his attempted retreat.  He increasingly became more and more aggressive and physical throughout this whole process.
By this time a very large and in shape business owner from down the street, who had witnessed the whole incident, came running down the sidewalk behind the male and immediately threw him into some newspaper racks on the sidewalk.  He grabbed the man's left arm and locked it behind his back.  I saw the male begin to reach for his pocket with his right hand again and I immediately grabbed it and immobilized it.
No longer having to keep my eye on the man, I looked behind me to see an officer speeding up on his bicycle.  He jumped off, came up behind the man, and we took the man to the ground.  The man was very combative, even to the police officer.  The officer managed to cuff the man, thus ending the threat.
More officers arrived and they began to take statements.  The man was arrested and placed in a patrol car.  The female was also arrested and placed in another car.  While searching the man, the police found box cutters in his right pocket.  They also informed me later that he was a suspect in some recent beatings and robberies in the area, but that they had not been able to locate him as he is homeless.

That's the end of the statement.  What I left out is that the officers also said he was a Katrina refugee that had been causing quite a bit of trouble.  Didn't figure I'd put anything about his refugee status in my statement to work.  Doesn't really matter to them.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
<Napoleon> Idiot! </Napoleon>
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
damn I'm glad your alright!  That situation could have turned out to be ALOT worse.  I hope you are pressing charges against him.  

Your employer should have a copy of the police report etc and post a guard while on breaks or for god sake look out for yourself! ... I would, but that's just me.

I'm glad your alright and no one was seriously injured! Glad the police made it to you in time as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Former Rakkasan?

Good story, BTW. Your employer gonna give you trouble?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job.  Glad it worked out.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
damn I'm glad your alright!  That situation could have turned out to be ALOT worse.  I hope you are pressing charges against him.  

Your employer should have a copy of the police report etc and post a guard while on breaks or for god sake look out for yourself! ... I would, but that's just me.

I'm glad your alright and no one was seriously injured! Glad the police made it to you in time as well.

Thanks!!  I never once took my eye off him, and if he would've made a move he woulda been OUT!!!  The security guard there is also ex-military, and he's more than capable of taking care of himself, so the situation was manageable.  But he can't get too physical due to policy, they're afraid of lawsuits I guess.  But they are allowed to intervene in order to protect life, etc.  But I had it under control, he just monitored the situation and called it in.
The downtown area is really clean and nice, sucks to see scum like that come in and dirty it up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Former Rakkasan?

LOL, yes I am as a matter of fact.  Angels From Hell!!!!
I'm not thinking they'll give me grief.  It's all on videotape.  I was just defending myself.  Maybe this will change their outlook on concealed carry.  At least for us night folks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
if it is stated already and been talked about before I would bring it up to them again.  However if it never has and you decide to carry sometimes it may be risky because they may become suspecious of you and you might be in jeopardy of losing your job.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow!!!  I'm glad you came out of this okay and I hope you don't catch any crap from your employer. As far as the refugee is concerned it sounds like he was a 'bad character' I hope he gets more than the usual 'slap on the wrist'....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]

See?

Smoking is dangerous to your health.

Seriously - good job, all things considered. Plenty of Monday morning quarterbacking will likely ensue here. But hey, given the immediacy of the situation and the fact you came out unscathed and the fuckstain was cuffed and tanked - not a bad job at all.

Hope your employer isn't so PCified they give YOU shit for anything you did.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
But how do you know he was a Kitrina refugee?...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Good Job on showing so much restraint!!!!!

Texas is in for a huge crime spike....

N.O. was an arm pit last few times I went there for Mardi Gras

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
if it is stated already and been talked about before I would bring it up to them again.  However if it never has and you decide to carry sometimes it may be risky because they may become suspecious of you and you might be in jeopardy of losing your job.

It's stated in the handbook.  But the sign on the door isn't 30.06 compliant.  But hey, I love my job and my employer, so I'm not gonna nickpick.  I don't think the sign argument would save my job.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
But how do you know he was a Kitrina refugee?...

LOL.  They knew him by name.  They knew his history.  I'll trust them on this one.

Edited for stoopid spelling
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
If your friends with the owner of the place I'd concider talking to him with a don't ask, don't tell policy.  Might be worth your life and I'm sure the family would like that.

But you know your situation better then I do.  I live in WI where all handguns are bad
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Former Rakkasan?

LOL, yes I am as a matter of fact.  Angels From Hell!!!!
I'm not thinking they'll give me grief.  It's all on videotape.  I was just defending myself.  Maybe this will change their outlook on concealed carry.  At least for us night folks.

I think I know where the guy fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
What city in Texas did this happen in?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

FTW  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:33:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, talked to my manager tonight.  I had called him right after the incident to give him a heads up last night.  He in turned called his boss, the head of IT, who is a VP at the company.  When he called, the VP said "Good that he pressed charges, it'll get him off the street".  That made me feel better.
Again I spoke to my manager this morning and he said the VP and a few other managers viewed the video.  My manager wasn't present.  The only thing he said was that they weren't able to see everything on the video, due to camera coverage.  He asked if I had seen it, which I replied no.  But he asked in an almost comically intrigued way, as if the reports he received from the viewing were entertaining.  So I guess at this point it's safe to say nothing bad will happen to me job wise.  WHEW!!!  Not that I did anything wrong, only defending myself.  But you know how companies can be in the litigious times in which we live.
I'll update as things progress.  I fear I'm gonna have to go to court over this one, if only during his prosecution.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, congrats on coming out on top of that situation.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:35:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Good job on helping out the locals take down that crook! If you didn't stop him then, he would've come back to hit the area again. Crooks like to hit the soft spots where they can find fools who won't resist.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Of what persuasion was this fine lady and gentleman?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Congratulations on keeping your cool and watching the hands.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#26]
well done, I love righteous ass beatings (of sorts)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted: Of what persuasion was this fine lady and gentleman?
My guess is they were from a predominantly democrap district.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]
texas must be so different from the rest of the country.

in many states you would have been arrested for agravated assualt and lost your job due to the fact that you didn't give the aggressive and rude man everything he wanted while on company property ,and actually had the gaul to detain him for the police instead of letting him go on his way, thus opening up yourself to a civil lawsuit because you violated his civil rights and freedom of expression and speech.

you also may have gotton  charged with a hate crime if the "gentleman" was of another race other than white.

in california or new york you would be doing hard time for that stunt you just pulled. what's wrong with you?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#30]
If we ever want to take our streets back, it will take your courage and tens of thousands of encounters just like that one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Congrats on controlling the situation, man!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
You handled the situation well.

We have some of the evacuees here in Wichita Falls also. I will keeping my awareness up now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#33]
A keltec p-32 or p3AT will fit in the pocket and never be noticed.

just saying.

judged by 12 carried by 6???

And where would your job have been if you bled to death from a box cutter?

Carry a firearm man.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#34]
That's one fucked up situation and and I think  given the circumstances you handled it very well!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Done good
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#36]

After he removed his hand the last time, what appeared to be some sort of homemade pipe came out of his pocket. Both he and the female immediately started to scream out "Look what fell out of his pocket!” referring to myself.

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The downtown area is really clean and nice.

Could really only be Fort Worth hat

Downtown Ft. Worth really is a nice place.  I had never been there until a couple months ago.  When I hit that area it's usually downtown Dallas that I see.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#39]
For the last time... they are HEROS!! Katrina HEROS!!

Get it right.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Of what persuasion was this fine lady and gentleman?

The female was white, the male was, damn, what's the PC word nowadays?  His ancestors worked on plantations without pay.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Next time throw a fist to the throat area.
It will take anyone down.

Yeah, but didn't want to risk killing him.  He might just be mis-understood.  I'm sure he has plenty to offer society.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
A keltec p-32 or p3AT will fit in the pocket and never be noticed.

just saying.

judged by 12 carried by 6???

And where would your job have been if you bled to death from a box cutter?

Carry a firearm man.

TXL

+1

When I lived in MI I had a CPL and I kept a Kel-Tec P3AT in my pocket. I think I've been in TX long enough to take the class now too. Something that is definately on my agenda for next month.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
His ancestors worked on plantations without pay.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top