Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:01:51 PM EDT
Do gun laws apply there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]

ETA:

the Antarctic Treaty prohibits any measures of a military nature, such as the establishment of military bases and fortifications, the carrying out of military maneuvers, or the testing of any type of weapon; it permits the use of military personnel or equipment for scientific research or for any other peaceful purposes

Antarctica is administered through meetings of the consultative member nations; decisions from these meetings are carried out by these member nations (with respect to their own nationals and operations) in accordance with their own national laws; US law, including certain criminal offenses by or against US nationals, such as murder, may apply extra-territorially; some US laws directly apply to Antarctica; for example, the Antarctic Conservation Act, 16 U.S.C. section 2401 et seq., provides civil and criminal penalties for the following activities, unless authorized by regulation of statute: the taking of native mammals or birds; the introduction of nonindigenous plants and animals; entry into specially protected areas; the discharge or disposal of pollutants; and the importation into the US of certain items from Antarctica; violation of the Antarctic Conservation Act carries penalties of up to $10,000 in fines and one year in prison; the National Science Foundation and Department of Justice share enforcement responsibilities; Public Law 95-541, the US Antarctic Conservation Act of 1978, as amended in 1996, requires expeditions from the US to Antarctica to notify, in advance, the Office of Oceans, Room 5805, Department of State, Washington, DC 20520, which reports such plans to other nations as required by the Antarctic Treaty; for more information, contact Permit Office, Office of Polar Programs, National Science Foundation, Arlington, Virginia 22230; telephone: (703) 292-8030, or visit their website at www.nsf.gov; more generally, access to the Antarctic Treaty area, that is to all areas between 60 and 90 degrees latitude South, is subject to a number of relevant legal instruments and authorization procedures adopted by the states party to the Antarctic Treaty.

Link

After looking at the Antartic Treaty,  outside of .mil references, nothing seems to indicate firearms in any other way shape or form.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see how.

Who would enforce them?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
See I thought Antarctica was declared a zone of peace belonging to every country?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm moving.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet.

I'll build a big machinegun range there.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
i did not know antartica HAD laws....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to check this with the Antarctican embassy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
A buncha countries signed a treaty governing Antarctica.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
"Problem?"

"Yep"

"Jam?"

"Yep"

"Stovepipe?"

"Nope"

"Doublefeed?"

"Nope"

"Extraction?"

"Nope"

"What?"

"Motherfucker's frozen solid."

"Toldya that would happen if you let it cool between mags."

"Yep"
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll have to check this with the Antarctican embassy.

On a more serious note, how would you keep warm? I never saw a lot of trees in the area on TV. You got the money for arial resupply?

Maybe we could do an ARFCOM group buy on cheap land......
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Well CaVet posted links that show military exercises et al are banned on Antarctic soil.

But it seems just toting around an MP-5 and plinking is A-OK.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"Problem?"

"Yep"

"Jam?"

"Yep"

"Stovepipe?"

"Nope"

"Doublefeed?"

"Nope"

"Extraction?"

"Nope"

"What?"

"Yep"

roflllllllllllllllllllllllllll

tell them not to forget one of these:
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"Problem?"

"Yep"

"Jam?"

"Yep"

"Stovepipe?"

"Nope"

"Doublefeed?"

"Nope"

"Extraction?"

"Nope"

"What?"

"Yep"

We should make Antartica the official ARFCOM nation, we could keep miniguns running to keep us warm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
manufacture machine guns there lol....Antarctic playground!  man those steel mags would be COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Good lord......
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Group buy!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't see how.

Who would enforce them?

since I can't get onto the photo server this will have to do

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see how.

Who would enforce them?

news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1715000/images/_1716577_penguin2.jpg

Photoshop on some helmets, body armor, boots and subguns, and we'll have our very own JBP's!(Jack Booted Penguins)

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't see how.

Who would enforce them?

news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1715000/images/_1716577_penguin2.jpg

Photoshop on some helmets, body armor, boots and subguns, and we'll have our very own JBP's!(Jack Booted Penguins)

I have pirate penguins on the photoserver, but can't get to them
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
But then you know a lot of dumb fuckers will be responsible for the extinctions of many penguin species

Please, think of the penguins!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Do Penguins LOOT?

How's the crime rate down there anyhow?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I've actually looked into getting a seasonal job at the main research/living station down there (they need mechanics, cafeteria people and other 'regular' folk down there as well as scientists).  Thought it might be a cool experience.  Then I realized that the entire time I was there would just be on line bout of cabin fever + some roomates and the glamour kindof evaporated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Think you will find that a few different countries have jurisdiction over sections of Antarctica.

My brother applied for a position as an electrician with the Australian research station and as far as I know the laws of the country that "owns" the area apply just like any other territory or protectorate.

So, unfortunately its all been claimed already.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't see how.

Who would enforce them?

IIRC, the US Marshals have a few agents stationed there.

ETA: http://www.usdoj.gov/marshals/history/antarctica/

The Marshals Service became the official law enforcement entity for the South Pole through an agreement with the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the U.S. Attorney for Hawaii. In 1989, the NSF approached the marshal for the District of Hawaii to assist in setting up a legal presence in Antarctica. (Up to that point, there was no law enforcement and no way to charge and prosecute law breakers.)

Environment impact agreements were signed by all 26 nations who share mutual claim in Antarctica, but the United States wanted some way to enforce the law in the "American section" of the continent. The NSF wanted the Service to appoint a deputy to serve there.

The NSF sent two station managers from Antarctica to Glynco for training, and the Service appointed them as special deputies. The official swearing-in took place in Hawaii, the headquarters district for the American stations at the South Pole. The two special deputies rotate duty every other year.

The scientific foundation wanted Hawaii Chief Deputy James Propotnick, a career operational employee, to fly to the South Pole for installation ceremonies for the first special deputy assigned to the region.

"After a long time thinking about it - approximately one microsecond - I agreed," stated Propotnick. "To tell you it was a great trip would be like saying 'winning a $35 million lottery was neat."'

The South Pole is located 10,000 feet above sea level. The combination of elevation, extreme cold and humidity of one to two percent wreaks havoc on unprepared "visitors." Propotnick drank water constantly and lost it to evaporation almost as fast. The NSF outfitted the chief with clothing and classes on survival in Antarctica.

"I was told that there is no bacteria or living organism of any kind in Antarctica outside of humans, birds and penguins," stated Propotnick. "After getting the tour, I believed it."

Special Deputy U.S. Marshals greet all visitors to McMurdo Station, Antarctica, with a lecture and warns that serious crimes committed on the continent by Americans can be prosecuted in the United States.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Welcome to Antarctica!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I only know 2 things about Antartica:

1) Thanks to global warming, it's been warming up.  
2) GWAR is from there.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
they had several in "The Thing" and flamethrowers too
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I've actually looked into getting a seasonal job at the main research/living station down there (they need mechanics, cafeteria people and other 'regular' folk down there as well as scientists).  Thought it might be a cool experience.  Then I realized that the entire time I was there would just be on line bout of cabin fever + some roomates and the glamour kindof evaporated.

Hey, don't be so down on yourself... You could always snap and slaughter everyone one by one and make it look like a 'creature' did it. Kind of like that movie "Thing" with Kurt Russel. It might be fun!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Do Penguins LOOT?

How's the crime rate down there anyhow?

Waiting for a good photoshop of a Penguin carrying a case of Hienies!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
"Problem?"

"Yep"

"Jam?"

"Yep"

"Stovepipe?"

"Nope"

"Doublefeed?"

"Nope"

"Extraction?"

"Nope"

"What?"

"Yep"

The first thing I thought of when reading this was the blind guy playing the rubix cube on that Weird Al movie UHF.

"Is this it?"   "Nope"
click
"Is this it?"  "Nope"
click
"Is this it?"  "Nope"
click
"Is this it?"  "Nope"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top