Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 7:54:26 PM EDT
We will be there the Friday night before Thanksgiving.  I don't want to spend more than $60.00 for a room.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Might I suggest Alamagordo, N.M?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For $60.00 my brother will probably let you stay in his garage.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Or Las Cruces for that matter?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually stay near the airport, but never mind that-let's talk about eating Mexican food.

Ask for directions to Fotis. I never go to El Paso and not eat there. And let's face it, you'll need something besides turkey to eat on that trip.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So should we not stay in El paso then?  It Is kinda scarry in the daytime...

I have driven through a few times. Only stopped at McDonald's, and Taco Cabana(Tortillas)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would never stay overnight in El Paso, especially at a $60 dump.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hey, F*ck all of you, I have to live here.

If you want I'll rent my RV to you.  It will probably be better than anything you can find for $60.  I mean come on, you honestly can't find anything nice in any city for $60.  If you want to stay in a decent hotel you need to spend at least a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry.  I mean that in many ways.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry.  I mean that in many ways.

Elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Fortis is okay but it smells inside.

While it is only open during the day, Lucy's East Side Cafe is about the best place in town for mexican food. Clean, great service, authentic food. Get the #40.

Las Cruces is about 40 miles outside of the El Paso city limits and another 23 mile to the east side of town. A decent hotel romm for $60 may be a streach there. The town is booming and the $$ are reflecting it.

If you know what part of town you want to be in, I can offer some choices.

Don't forget to stop at Cielo Vista mall to check out some of El Paso's two legged animals. While I rarely go there, it is an excellent opportunity for an outsider to get a little sample.

Restaurants:
Beef...
#1 great American Cattle Co on Alabama
State Line
Cattlemans (real cool setting)

Mexican...
Lucy's East Side Cafe
Avila's
Leo's
Many hole in the walls

Shooting...
Fort Bliss Gun Club. Usually someone interesting to talk to, LEO, Special Agents, FBI, etc. They rent guns too.

Quoted:
I usually stay near the airport, but never mind that-let's talk about eating Mexican food.

Ask for directions to Fotis. I never go to El Paso and not eat there. And let's face it, you'll need something besides turkey to eat on that trip.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So should we not stay in El paso then?  It Is kinda scarry in the daytime...

I have driven through a few times. Only stopped at McDonald's, and Taco Cabana(Tortillas)

Having spent plenty of time there... there is NOTHING wrong with El Paso...

Yeah, you have typical urban crime... but you know what?  Mind your own and you won't have any problems.  YES, shit happens.  But it also happend in lilly white Nebraska too...  Just don't be a sheep and you'll do fine!  

And those folks who balk at a $60 limit for a hotel room... I commend you on your achievement in life!  But us folks who work for a living have to contend with these facts of life
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for insulting your town and sorry you have to live there.  I felt safer in Juarez!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Funny, when I relocated from Ohio/ MI in 1995 everyone up there thought the same thing. "El Paso, yuck." IMO it could not be farther from the truth.

Come on down and enjoy your stay. Overall, the people are great, it has all the ammenities you are used to, there are neat things to do and see, and you will enjoy the weather at that time of year.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, F*ck all of you, I have to live here.

If you want I'll rent my RV to you.  It will probably be better than anything you can find for $60.  I mean come on, you honestly can't find anything nice in any city for $60.  If you want to stay in a decent hotel you need to spend at least a hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sorry for insulting your town and sorry you have to live there.  I felt safer in Juarez!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That BS might fly up in Gringoland ID... we know better man

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Now that's just crazy.

There have been at least 65 women alone murdered in Juarez just since the first of the year.  A week dosen't go by without some sort of murder in that city.  And the cops over there are some of the most corrupt in the entire world.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#18]
We only need a place to sleep from 10-11pm till 5am as we are en route to Port Aransas TX.

Thsnks thoe for the food, shooping and shooting tips!  I really appricate it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Go Super 8 or Motel 6 then.

Thats a good posability if they are newer.

What about Red Roof Inn? $47.00

La Quenta $49.00

anygood?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I live a couple of miles from those two and they would probably work out just fine.  Good area, very safe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Quenta $49.00

anygood?

Shit... I stayed at the Red Roof in a couple of years back when I went out there to buy some land

There's a really good restaurant next door that closes really early

ETA:  It's a fine place, with a well lit parking area and security cameras to record who stole your shit
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I was just thinking how this thread turned into something way different than was intended. I said to myself ... "this poor guy simply wants a place to stay. WTF." Too funny.

Try one of these. There are located for easy access right off I-10, in a safe decent area, and with access to what ever you may need ($60 range)...

Red Roof INN El Paso West
Baymont El Paso West

Quoted:
We only need a place to sleep from 10-11pm till 5am as we are en route to Port Aransas TX.

Thsnks thoe for the food, shooping and shooting tips!  I really appricate it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Quenta $49.00

anygood?

Shit... I stayed at the Red Roof in a couple of years back when I went out there to buy some land

ETA:  It's a fine place, with a well lit parking area and security cameras to record who stole your shit

Did you black  light the bed?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Quenta $49.00

anygood?

Restaurant next door was a Tony Romas.  Employees got busted making electronic copies of customers credit cards and they shut down a short time later.  Now it's a pretty good Mexican restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I live less than a mile from the old Tony Romas on Remcon (now Leo's Mexican Restaurant) and I wondered why it shut down.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

La Quenta $49.00

anygood?

Restaurant next door was a Tony Romas.  Employees got busted making electronic copies of customers credit cards and they shut down a short time later.  Now it's a pretty good Mexican restaurant.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Do some internet searches for hotels in Las Cruces, when I drove through there last year a bunch in the $70 range with breakfast or at least a decent continental breakfast.  The La Quinta was one, you can get some really nice food down around the square in Mesilla.

Being as your in the holiday travel week, you might very easily get screwed on rates by the nicer places.  But what the heck, if all you need is place to sleep shit and shave take your own linen and blankets and throw it on top of the stuff at a cheap place if you are worried about creepie cralies or oozings.

Make your reservations asap, holiday travel can be a bitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top