Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:09:49 PM EDT
I tried to post this earlier, but now my post seems to have dissapeared...

I had asked a little while ago about some specific HDTVs, but I'm curious what will be suggested with just a price.  I will consider any system, although CRTs or maybe LCDs are all that the budget will allow.  This TV will be used for gaming, DVDs, and some TV.  I'd be willing to go over my price a bit if there is something quite a bit better than a sub-$1000 model.  What would you get?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest you give Hometheaterforum and the avs forum a try, you will get some really good opinions here at ARFCOM but these forums are to audio video what ARFCOM is to guns.  You should actually be able to get a pretty decent crt tv for $1000 or so.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I tried to post this earlier, but now my post seems to have dissapeared...

It dissappeared to Page 4.

Dupe
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Phillips 30,32,34 CRT Models... I think they stopped making the 32" Model. I bought a 34" model  when the HDTV craze began and Plasmas were 25K. It really does 1080i and are now around your 1K budget price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Samsung CRT wide screen sets.

Mine is a 30" with HDTV tuner, picture is awesome.

Paid about $850.

product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=TXP3075WHX%252fXAA

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/catalog/categorieInPath.do?page=first&key=0/4190799E9A6F008D00000000828BD472/41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET

I've had the 30" (bottom model, $359 free ship)for several months and it's really great, and cheap!You'll want to adjust the geometry after it's "burned in" on any CRT, it's easy to do on this set,I've been very pleased with it and it was in really good shape when it arrived.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
... tagged, I'm seriously considering mounting a flat-screen LCD monitor w/HDTV setup on the ceiling over my bed
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_redesign/catalog/categorieInPath.do?page=first&key=0/4190799E9A6F008D00000000828BD472/41907ABB9A6F008D00000000828BD472&shop=OUTLET

I've had the 30" (bottom model, $359 free ship)for several months and it's really great, and cheap!You'll want to adjust the geometry after it's "burned in" on any CRT, it's easy to do on this set,I've been very pleased with it and it was in really good shape when it arrived.

That is a really good price.  I'm not sure how I feel about getting a recondiditioned set-- I've had some bad luck with a similar situation in the past.  Can you  describe what you mean with the whole "adjust the geometry after it's "burned in" on any CRT"? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Phillips Outlet is not a good idea.  The items are packed poorly and many of the accessories are missing or replaced with inferior parts.  

This is from the REAL experience of people who have bought stuff from PO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#9]
forums.slickdeals.net/t142039.html?

With some tweaking it might even work as a computer monitor.
Looks like NewEgg.com has it for $930 as well.

Reseller Ratings:
PC Connection: www.resellerratings.com/seller1874.html
New Egg: www.resellerratings.com/seller2121.html
Philips: www.resellerratings.com/seller134.html

Resources: www.avsforum.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The only TV in the Mercer household is a 12 year old GE 25".  Save your money. Spend your $1000 on your kid's computer/your retirement/a vacation/another AR-15!!!!!/bunches of ammo/you get the picture.

roy d ....keeping on the real tip
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
One relevant question is whether or not you want an HD tuner, as opposed to simply a way of displaying HD signal.  If you are planning on taking in broadcast signals, obviously you need a tuner.  If you have an HD cable box, you can get away without needing an HD tuner (which will drop your price).  I have an Advent HD TV (with no tuner) that I bought from Best Buy for less than $400 about a year ago, and I'm very happy with the picture quality (though my particular model has gotten some very mixed reviews).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only TV in the Mercer household is a 12 year old GE 25".  Save your money. Spend your $1000 on your kid's computer/your retirement/a vacation/another AR-15!!!!!/bunches of ammo/you get the picture.

roy d ....keeping on the real tip

There is only one TV in the Q3131A household as well. It is a five year old Sony VPL-HS10 HDTV with a 105" screen. It also functions as a computer monitor for my HTPC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Reseller Ratings:

I like the look of this one.  Have you (or anyone else) used it?  How does it compare to a similarly sized CRT in picture quality for DVDs/Games?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reseller Ratings:

I like the look of this one.  Have you (or anyone else) used it?  How does it compare to a similarly sized CRT in picture quality for DVDs/Games?

No, I just saw it on slickdeals. If you read the thread, they say that Toms Hardware has reviewed the 26" version.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... tagged, I'm seriously considering mounting a flat-screen LCD monitor w/HDTV setup on the ceiling over my bed

BbbbbWWwwhahahhahaha.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
why buy when you can build!!!

http://www.lumenlab.com/
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is only one TV in the Q3131A household as well. It is a five year old Sony VPL-HS10 HDTV with a 105" screen. It also functions as a computer monitor for my HTPC.

The Mercer house doesn't even have walls that big!

roy d...thinking about upgrading to a RCA 27" with a remote control dohickey
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Phillips Outlet is not a good idea.  The items are packed poorly and many of the accessories are missing or replaced with inferior parts.  

This is from the REAL experience of people who have bought stuff from PO.

That wasn't my experience with my set and wasn't the experience of anyone else over at avs. who bought the same set when I was making up my mind, it was double boxed and well padded with fitted foam, besides if it shows up damaged you can send it back.

Nothing was missing, nothing was replaced, the remote even had batteries.

"That is a really good price. I'm not sure how I feel about getting a recondiditioned set-- I've had some bad luck with a similar situation in the past. Can you describe what you mean with the whole "adjust the geometry after it's "burned in" on any CRT"? Thanks."

As the guns break in on a CRT the settings will not be quite right even if they were perfect when adjusted from the factory. The manufacturers compensate for this by setting the TV up with excessive overscan so you'll never notice unless you're really paying attention to things, this is all HD CRT displays not just philips.

To adjust geometry you simply input the right code via the remote and the service menu comes up, this gives you complete control of all the sets functions, and you can optimize the picture, eliminate the overscan, get the display truly "square",in all display and stretch modes. It isn't hard, but you shouldn't do it until the set has about a hundred hours on it because it won't stabilize until it's broke in.

A very common complaint with widescreen CRTs is that the crawls at the bottom of the screen on news channels is partially cut off, this is due to the overscan and is easily corrected.

The stuff from philips outlet comes with a warranty, if you hate it send it back.

If I hadn't bought the philips I'd have bought a Sony, they're the best CRTs on the market, but they're spendy.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#19]
work at best buy and they are all affordable with the sweet discount
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted by K2QB3

To adjust geometry you simply input the right code via the remote and the service menu comes up, this gives you complete control of all the sets functions, and you can optimize the picture, eliminate the overscan, get the display truly "square",in all display and stretch modes. It isn't hard, but you shouldn't do it until the set has about a hundred hours on it because it won't stabilize until it's broke in.

How would I find this code for a given TV?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I found the one I needed on the avs forum.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
To bring this topic back from the dead, here is another deal on a HDTV compatable. This time a front projector.

forums.slickdeals.net/t139615.html?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top