Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:02:46 PM EDT
Was just curious if anyone else has some strange methods of cleaning their weapons that others would gasp at?

I was cleaning the lower on my glock under the sink with a tootbrush and orange/citrus degreaser when I thought of this.  ( I was cleaning the sticky off the handle to reapply the grip tape)  

I have used the sink method on more than one occassion when the firearm was very very dirty.  I always use the air compressor to blow out all the water though so there is none left to rust.  I also immediately put on some oil too.

How bout you?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]

In the army (in Denmark) when we came back from being out in the field for a week or two, we'd soak our G3's in engine cleaner/degreaser - and then throw them under a scalding hot shower for a couple of minutes.  If the water was hot enough, any remaining water would simply evaporate off the metal.  Apply a thin coat of oil, and you were done - instead of spending forever trying to clean that irritating roller lock system.

It was by far the fastest way to clean the gun, and it was ridiculous how clean they got.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In the army (in Denmark) when we came back from being out in the field for a week or two, we'd soak our G3's in engine cleaner/degreaser - and then throw them under a scalding hot shower for a couple of minutes.  If the water was hot enough, any remaining water would simply evaporate off the metal.  Apply a thin coat of oil, and you were done - instead of spending forever trying to clean that irritating roller lock system.

It was by far the fastest way to clean the gun, and it was ridiculous how clean they got.  

Kinda what we used to do when I was in the Army....no better way to clean the muck out of the lower on an M16!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Garden hose and an old undershirt getting last bits of cosmaline and crap out of my SKS after the first time I shot it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
how about products?  I've used soft scrub to get the nasty crap out of my magazine tube in my 870 before.....

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I take parts into work and wash em in our parts washer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
On Parris Island when we got ready to turn our rifles back in to the armory after filling them up with sand during the Crucible, we took the disassembled rifle in the shower, dunked it in soapy water, pressure washed everything (electric power washer), blew it off with compressed air, reoiled, and reassembled.

It was the only way to get all the sand out of every nook and cranny after going through the infiltration courses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Lately I have been cleaning my guns a bit differently. I've been using HOT water, liquid soap, a toothbrush and a bristle bore brush. When it's clean it's usually hot enough to dry itself (as stated above) but I'll hit it with a hair dryer for the areas I can't reach and oil it to ensure all traces of water are completely gone.

My guns have no hint of rust and have never been cleaner. Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm wondering if hot soap and water is not such a bad idea all around.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Want to see clean?

Use a dishwasher with a drying cycle..... never fails. Just apply a light coat of oil when you get it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard "Simple Green" works, but I wouldn't try it for assemblies, just because it might not rinse out completely.  Or where it might get in contact with wood furniture.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
'UNORTHODOX CLEANING METHODS'

I thought this was going to be a thread with a bunch of pictures of men in aprons doing the dishes and mopping the floor.

What a let down.

I believe the word was "unorthodox", not "unholy."

Dish soap & hot water.  The hotter, the better.  Hair dryer afterward, then oil.  Nuthin' better.  I thought my ex-mil dad was nuts when he told me to do it this way, but I couldn't come up with a reason not to and I'm totally sold on the idea.  Obviously, he wasn't alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top