Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 5:46:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the tip.  If you check the properties on some of those links it will show some outrageous ip addresses.

I got one last week from a paypal scam that said my account was suspended and I needed to enter my bank account info again.  Remember that paypal will not ask you for account info and will always open the email with "Hello Mr. X", not "Hello Paypal member" or such.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
its called a scam, not a scheme
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a scheme is like a super scam.  A scam on steroids, perhaps.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I get one from "Ebay Safe Harbour" once in a while. Yes, it's spelled the British way.

Probably one of Cole's scams. I don't fear the saw of the dead, though.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I get those all the time.. Paypal ones as well..
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've gotten a couple of emails claiming to be from PayPal that are letting me know that I've added another email addy to my account. And it gives me a link to click if that's a problem. The link is bogus, but the text shown for the link "looks" like a paypal link. It looked good enough to scare me for a moment.

Just don't click links in emails -- type the URL that you already know yourself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
when you log into ebay, any "official" coorespondance will  be listed in your account message center...anything else is SPAM/SCAM
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe a scheme is like a super scam.  A scam on steroids, perhaps.  

I think a scheme is like a scam with a frikkin laser on it's head
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't the term, "Phishing"?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Pro-rights folks still use eBay?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I got an e-mail like that about a week ago. I brings you to a sign-in page that looks just like the real e-bay page.

I thought about reporting it to E-bay, but I'm sure they get about a zillion reports of this.

I put "yousofunny" for my username and "youthinki'mstupid?" for my password.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I've gotten a few of them from paypal as well.  Send the link to ebay security and let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I always get them from eBay and PayPal.  I never open them.  

If you go to eBay and PayPal, you can check to see if they actually sent you any emails.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, my computer went nuts.    

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, my computer went nuts.    

I had to re-boot.  Maybe it was the topic.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a similar email from "amazon.com" saying my bank had questioned some activity on my account, and that my account would be suspended until I sent in my info again for "verification purposes". I smelled a rat, called my credit card company. No issues. It was a typical phishing attempt.

Report it to the company it's supposed to be from, and the Feds. Hopefully some of the bastards will get caught. It think boiling in oil is too lenient, personally.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a rash of these things right after I went to a web site that promoted certain night clubs and you "voted" for one artist or another to get a gig at one or the other of the venues.  

Of course, to "vote", you had to give them your e-mail address.

You might think, 'coincidence', but I had two addresses and they both started getting phished at the same time.

The "notice" from "eBay" is identical in form in every instance (right down to the same phony link in the body of it), even though they don't ever come from the same originating IP.  

Do not click ANYWHERE in the notice.   If you 'hover' your pointer over the "notice" you will see in your browser's status bar that the actual link is not what is stated in the body of the "notice" - it's entirely a different URL.    

And unlike ordinary links, it's not just 'over' the hypertext-looking part of the notice, you can see the activity on the status bar no matter where on the "notice" you hover.

To see some of these discrepancies and others, you can pick the "full headers" option on your e-mail program.

The great part is, I don't even HAVE an eBay account, or even PayPal -- they both suck for many reasons, but the firearms issue would be enough to keep me away anyhow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top