Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 4:57:31 PM EDT
It's been a while since I have posted any pics for those that may be interested. It was a nice evening to get some shadowy/hazy valley shots. The new camera is working very well. Canon comes through again. The G6 is a great unit for aerial stuff. Enjoy!!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I still cant get over how high your getting that thing... Pics look great though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
America is beautiful! Nice pics.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
VERY cool pics and what a spread around your casa. Is the G6 a RC helicopter?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys. sfax, actually the G6 is the camera. It's considered a "prosumer" camera, but not a DSLR. They are way too heavy and expensive for my application. If you want some history on the project, you can go back to the original two threads for some background HERE.

Some of the equipment has changed since then, but the principals still remain the same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey!

My house!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
that's nice....i think i need to move
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
You live in a beautiful area.  I envy you (or at least your terrain).

I have a Canon G6, and am likewise VERY pleased with it's performance.

M.l.

edit:  Oh, BTW, keep the helicam pictures coming.  Do you have photos or a info about the helicopter online somewhere?  I saw the past threads, but am honestly too lazy to go back through them again.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome pics. What corner of PA do you live in? I am near Fort Indiantown Gap.

Aviator
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate you.

Not because of the pictures, but because of where you live. Jesus thats beautiful......
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't wait for some Fall pics.  So pretty in the part of the Country.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool stuff! Thanks for the pics!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I see a Taliban fighter in one of your pics.  Better replace the camera with a missile.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Outstanding!

GT
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Any spy pics of a hot neighbor sunbathing in the nude?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet!

Hey I just got a RC heil , but can't fly it for crap! But I just got a  Cessna 182 by parkflyers.com.
I can't wait for it to get here! It's the 4ch version , It will be my 3rd plane.  Once I master it I will attach a mini-DV cam to it.

Here is a review of the plane. www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=554

So how long have you been flying? It's a relaxing hobby!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]
What part of PA do you live in? I live in Southeastern Ohio, but we have alot of the same terrain around here. Very beautiful country. I'm gonna be flying over to Camp Dawson friday with the OU ROTC and i cant wait to see the W. Virginia countryside from the air again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Got any groundhog problems?  

I shoot groundhogs for free!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
great shots
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks again for all the compliments. It's nice to know that the pics are appreciated. Yes I'm glad to live in such a nice area. Very little crime, almost no natural disasters and still mostly free. The location is in central PA. Right in the middle of the state. Home of Penn State University and not much else. I will post some more when I get some of the fall foliage but it may not be that spectacular this year due to the hot dry summer we have had. No hot neighbors to get pics of, unfortunately. But there are plenty on campus. I just have to figure out a clandestine location with a good view. This kind of flying is not for the timid. There's a lot of money flying around up there, so my stress level actually goes off the chart when carrying a camera payload. Flying planes is a lot easier and more relaxing. This is actually work. I've been flying for more than 25 years, but only in the choppers for about 6 or so years. It takes every bit of skill and smoothness I can muster to take decent pics, but it's a labor of love. The results can be spectacular.

Added: No problem with groundhogs. That's what the AR is for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#22]
like i said the lat time you posted pics....no big deal there...its nothing th .gov hasnt been doing for the last 50 years costing eleventeen billion dollars....

Nice to see civilians doing it for a few $ less
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice pics! Have you tried a uv filter? It will aid in pulling the sky colors in and improve clarity.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Nice pics! Have you tried a uv filter? It will aid in pulling the sky colors in and improve clarity.

It has a UV filter on it but as I said. It was very hazy and late in the day. The problem with clarity is movement, as in too much of it. There is absolutely no way to stop movement in an RC helicopter at that altitude, so you have to compensate for it with shutter speed, depth of field (aperature) and focus point. This is a compromise and is very tricky. Especially when you have to land and shut down to change any settings on the camera. Plus, this camera is new to me, so I'm still learning how to make it work for this application. I have to set the camera to full manual mode and make the settings, one step at a time, until I get the right combination for the conditions. Sometimes I get lucky and get it on the first try and sometimes it takes a few tries. This is all a learning process. This is the most difficult form of photography there is, so it's going to take a while to be consistantly good at it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#25]
cwd10, awesome pix as usual...damn, it sure is pretty in your neck of the woods.  

What can you get a house for up in that part of PA?  I'm gonna have to move next spring, unless I hit the lottery.  As I've mentioned, I have relative up near Uniontown, which is probably no more than 90 minutes away from where you're at, which would give me some incentive lor looking at PA.  

I've been thinking NC, but they have some very bizarre gun laws for a southern state.  I think PA is a little more Class 3 friendly than NC...if i sell my house and move, a "cheap" Class 3 weapon would be attainable, so it's something for me to consider.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]

That is so cool.  Post a pic of your rig again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful country!   I love these threads.

How about naming your threads, "Coptor-O-Truth Pics"  ???

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
cwd10, awesome pix as usual...damn, it sure is pretty in your neck of the woods.  

What can you get a house for up in that part of PA?  I'm gonna have to move next spring, unless I hit the lottery.  As I've mentioned, I have relative up near Uniontown, which is probably no more than 90 minutes away from where you're at, which would give me some incentive lor looking at PA.  

I've been thinking NC, but they have some very bizarre gun laws for a southern state.  I think PA is a little more Class 3 friendly than NC...if i sell my house and move, a "cheap" Class 3 weapon would be attainable, so it's something for me to consider.  

Centre county is gettin pretty pricey, due to the proximity of the University. All of the surrounding counties are much more reasonable. If you want a decent amount of land around here with a small to medium sized house on it, plan on spending about $200K or better. You can still build for less, but that has it's own hassles. The property taxes run about $1300.00 to $2000.00 depending on the area. PA is Class 3 friendly, as long as you get a decent Sheriff. Centre County has a really good one.

I will post some updated pics of the chopper soon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for posting.  I really dig these threads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Centre county is gettin pretty pricey, due to the proximity of the University. All of the surrounding counties are much more reasonable. If you want a decent amount of land around here with a small to medium sized house on it, plan on spending about $200K or better. You can still build for less, but that has it's own hassles. The property taxes run about $1300.00 to $2000.00 depending on the area. PA is Class 3 friendly, as long as you get a decent Sheriff. Centre County has a really good one.

I just found a house on 13 acres in blair co (I think...shoulda bookmarked it or copied the listing #)for $115K.  House was nice, nothing too fancy, but the basement was unfinished...exactly what I'm looking for.  I need a big space for the big TV/home theater.  It was built with hill to the back...big deck, and great fields of fire covering the approaches.  Looked like plenty of room to deploy the claymores and bouncing bettys   .

Too bad it'll be long gone when I am actaully looking to buy.  

It was the only real "bargain" I saw, but there were a few ok places for around $150K.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool pics....Thanks!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top