Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 11:49:23 AM EDT
Alright, big hoopla here when this thing passed the Senate months ago, despite the damn trigger lock requirement.  Now what is the progress?  Are they arguing about the changes in committee?  How close is the president to signing it?  Does anyone have any kind of status report?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  This was a twenty-odd page thread several weeks ago and everyone was very excited about this and the possibility for further pro-gun legislation - and not just relying on our lawmakers to NOT pass any new gun controls.

But folks!  It has not been signed by the President?  Where is it?  I checked the NRAILA page and it said that it is back to the House which should pass it.  But which version?  SB 397 which is the slightly weaker Senate version (with the trigger lock and research provision for AP ammo) or HR 800 which is the untainted House version that has not passed a harsher Senate?  Has Bush made any comment?  I assume he will sign anything that is given to him.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread is getting fewer views than the thread about Oprah.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I assume he will sign anything that is given to him.

He has so far....

In a perfect world, the clean bill will pass the house, and the anti-gun crap will be stripped out in committee, then the President will sign it.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the House will probably just not get around to it this term, and we'll have to start over next year.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for an answer.

Someone has to know, and We all saw it pass congress.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Bueller?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hasn't something like this been in the works for a few years?  I remember hearing about it, but I thought it was literally 2 or 3 years ago.

Or do I just have some 'missing time' again?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
bump, somebody gotta know
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The House has to decide which version they want to pass.  Do they want to take up the Senate version or do they want to pass their own version without the questionable parts?  If they pass teh Senate version then it's over and done with and on to the President's desk.  However, if they pass the "clean" version then it is forced to go back to a conference committee where changes could be made, passed out of the conference committee and sent back to both the House and Senate to be voted on again in an up/down vote.  

So if you want it passed now then you have to accept the Senate version, otherwise the bill has to be sent back where the anti-gun Democrats could make a big deal about it if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top