Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 11:08:52 AM EDT
Hey  I got laid off from my job just as I had enough money to buy my bushmaster dcm.  Does anyone know of any jobs in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area?

Thanks

Lojack
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
It might help to include what type of work you do...
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
i am a graphic designer, but i am trying not to limit myself to that field.  i cna do just about anything, just need a chance to prove myself.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
In talking with a number of search firms, recruiters and temp agencies, there seems to be a need for accountant or someone with accountancy background here in the DFW area. Telecommunications and IT also. Lots of other sales job here and there also. I lost my job going on 2 months now and nothing yet. However DFW is really not where my industry is strong in. In order to do what I would like to do, I need to move to NY, FL, MA, or CA.

Got a gig temping every so often, that with my savings, I am making do, right now. Its tough all over I tell ya. There are quite a few jobs out there. What I found though is that they are hesitant in talking to someone out of state cause most of the cos. do not have the funding to move people. So they would rather hire someone under qualified in the area and train em. I am using a friends addy in CA to submit resumes there and one in Mesa, AZ to submit resumes in AZ. Just to give the perception that I am local since I am willing to pay for my own move. You might want to get a DFW addy and a VM and do the same.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever considered the car business?? I have been doing it for 8+ years.  It is good money, the hours will suck at first but once you have a built up clientel you can almost dictate your hours.  I have been in management for the last 3 years, did F&I and salesmanager jobs.  Management hours suck and you dont get any say in your schedule.  If you havent tried selling you may like it!! The Bill Heard organization is in Texas, good group here in GA as well.  Try them!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey  I got laid off from my job just as I had enough money to buy my bushmaster dcm.  Does anyone know of any jobs in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area?
View Quote

Does this mean you're gonna buy the Bushmaster and go postal on your old boss?  [:P]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Search the metro area for TX.
[url]www.dice.com[/url]

Contractor uber Employees
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have any background in electronics or anything even remotely related to an electronic field? Pretty easy to get a job if you do and the money is decent. Electronics is probably the easiest way to make $40/hr with a two year degree.

Michael
Sherman, TX
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I got let go 3 weeks ago because the place I worked for went out of business. Abbsolutely no one will hire me so I just watch tv all day long. Why in the hell are there so many shitty court shows?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember, you were looking for a job when you found that one!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder, do I have a good chance of getting a high paying job if I say graduate as a Archtectual Engineering major?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Aerospace is cutting back too. There will be 70-100 engineers getting the axe friday at my plant alone. Space Station project is laying off as well as the competetion at LockMart. Anybody wanna buy a rocket scientist real cheep? I'll make you a deal on about 400 of 'em.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
How about a LEGP Rocket Scientist?  I'll go for one, but only if he costs less than $543 and fixes MX-missiles. [;D]

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Three months and counting, Seattle, computer geek.  How's the UNIX/C++ developer market down in Texas??  I've been thinking of renting my house here out and moving.

If anyone wants to teach English in Lithuania, a friend of mine is looking for two more instructors.  Certification a plus, but apparently not required.  Start date September 1st (no leeway).  Pays $200/mo plus a dorm room (you can live decently on that little over there).  I'd take it in a flash, but I can't get my house packed in time. . . .
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Brother, all I can say in get your resume on www.monster.com it REALLY works. Friend of mine found a job in Dallas in 2 weeks, she's an Architect.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder, do I have a good chance of getting a high paying job if I say graduate as a Archtectual Engineering major?
View Quote

You might, IF you learnt how ta spell it rite.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Lojack:

I joined that club last Saturday and it kinda affected my scores in the leg match on Sunday.

Anyone know of a job for a geological engineer specializing in underground mining?

Remember - It is an opportunity

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a job for a geological engineer specializing in underground mining?
View Quote

You wanna come over to my place and help build bunkers?  I can pay you in canned goods.
[%|] [NI]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
get your resume on www.monster.com it REALLY works.
View Quote

Just a reminder to people -- "monster.com" is owned by the guy who founded the anti-gun group "Americans for Gun Safety", which is trying to position itself as a "we only want a LITTLE compromise, wink wink!" outfit, sort of a "Brady Bunch Lite".

Tanya Metaksa had a column on him in Frontpage Magazine, but their web site has evaporated.  The following has a brief mention of him toward the end (do a "find" (ctrl-F in most web browsers) and look for "monster.com"):
[url]http://www.ninety-eight.net/ksa/Opinions.htm#02[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I get the axe tomorrow.  Goodbye, Lockheed Martin.  

Norm
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks

Lojack
View Quote

Hey lojack. I am in Houston.  I use the following sites.  They serve the Dallas area as well.  Sorry to hear you lost your gig man.  Hang in there!!!
also try USENet.  There should be a group like dallas.jobs or dallas.jobs.offered

texas.computerjobs.com
techies.com
dice.com
monster.com

AR50Guy
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]
71-Hour Achmed said"Just a reminder to people -- "monster.com" is owned by the guy who founded the anti-gun group "Americans for Gun Safety", which is trying to position itself as a "we only want a LITTLE compromise, wink wink!" outfit, sort of a "Brady Bunch Lite".
 AR50 Guy chimed in with...
All the more reason to use Monster, but don't register.  If I see something I want to apply for, I find the employers email address directly.  Don't submit a resume via the monster website.  I just tell the employer I saw it on their own site.  That way Monster spends all the millions of dollars on a website and I never let the client know that's how I found them.  That's way better than just not using their site dude.  

Remeber, this is war.  Don't just turn your back and hope they go away.  Effect your fair share of cost on them.

AR50Guy
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top