Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:30:48 AM EDT
Every now and again I have a reoccuring dream where my firearm wont fire.  Usually in my dream I am back in Afghanistan and my M4 wont fire even after I rechamber a fresh round.  I can see ugly taliban fighters bearing down on me with rusted AKs and ugly yellow teeth.  I always wake up just as I hear the crack of the AKs firing.  Sometimes like last night I am in a situation where some gangbanger is drawing down on me and my CCW wont fire (its a 1911).  I know dreams are just thoughts your brain strings together into a story.  But it sure freaked out my girlfriend who was laying on me when I jumped out of my bed.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Umm...... dupeX10...  but anyway....

I no longer have these dreams, but used to a lot.  Almost always, I was desperately trying to kill somebody, but my gun would never work or would be completely ineffective.

I think it has something to do with the monkey.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, I just wasted post #556 on this lame topic?!?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
God how I hate those sneaky sons-a-bitches.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
This is normal, especially for service members and vets. For the last 20 years I have had 3 or 4 dreams per week in which I am back in the service in some type of conflict.  There is always a weapon malfunction, missing or wrong ammo, etc.  Since I have obtained my carry permit, those types of situations pop up in my dreams as well.

Again, this is normal.  Hang in there.  You will get used to them.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had this kind of dream too.  Sometimes it's like my punches aren't phasing an attacker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I get a similar dream all the time....no worries mate it's normal
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I dream I can't find the right ammo for the gun I have.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dude, I just wasted post #556 on this lame topic?!?  

Um unless this is China you have free will guy. if you dont like the topic why post.  Unless your real name is Clinton and your communist agenda is in full swing.  In that case good by Mrs Clinton
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
YES!  Back when I was a WW1 and 2 buff I'd have wierd dreams where I was in combat and my rifle/handgun was firing blanks.  A german or whatnot would be a comming at me through some trenches and as he'd get closer I'd keep shooting and despite aiming right on, hit nothing.  Finaly the range would be so close I shouldnt be able to miss and then I'd realize my weapon wasnt firing any bullets, right before I get shot.  Wierd eh?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I dramed last night that I was on some special .gov task force to fight flooding.  But flooding was not a natural thing, it was some sort of enemy entity.  We were heavly armed with firearms to combat the flooding.  A lot of my friends were on the task force.  We were loosing a battle(although I don't remember firing a shot), and I was getting really pissed trying to coordinate the battle.  I woke up in the middle of it in a really pissed off mood.

I frequently have guns in my dreams but I never have a need to use them.  Only dream I can remember shoting a gun in, I was shooting an M-16 and it was very ineffective against the enemy.  I took out the mag and it was full of 22LR.  The rifle worked fine, but the 22 was not being very effective against the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Which is more reliable in dreams, ARs or AKs ???  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've had this kind of dream too.  Sometimes it's like my punches aren't phasing an attacker.

This is no dream.  You're obviously fighting Squat Dog...in which case no ordinary human punches full power shots are effective.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Neither.

Any "dream gun" will malfunction or be ineffective against a target.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In my dreams, you pull the trigger on a Glock and then throw it at the enemy.  Its nice enought to have a 3 secoond delay before it KB's and kills everybody.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my dreams, you pull the trigger on a Glock and then throw it at the enemy.  Its nice enought to have a 3 secoond delay before it KB's and kills everybody.

+1, unless its 9mm

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#16]
The malfunctioning gun is clearly a symbol of sexual dysfunction.

Stop playing with yourself and you'll be slaying "Gangbangers" and "Talibans" like a champ next time you have that dream.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Very common. I had it a couple of times a week when I worked for the state, along with a variation in which I, rather than the gun, could not shoot - with predictable results. Shortly after I left, I had a dream where I shot a BG to ribbons. I think it reflects fear of an inability to fully use your resources and/or to meet your obligations. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
My malfunctioning dream gun is always a revolver. Even though I own only two of them and my 1911's are my main defense guns. But more often than not, I am about to be eaten' by a griz and hence, it makes sense that I'd be trying to use my .44 mag revolver against one of those. Wacky stuff...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I get the dream where I move in slow motion and can't respond to the attacker in time.  I also seem to spray and pray a lot as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#20]
OK as along as we're being serious...

I honestly think that dreams like that are our brains' way of processing problems it sees as possibilities in the (however unlikely) future. I've had plenty of dreams where I left with my CCW but somehow it got lost and suddenly I'm weaponless. Stupid stuff like that. Or worse... I'm always a second too late to snap off a shot and my wife gets dragged off by bad guys. I want to keep her safe and that's the worst thing I could imagine happening so it's a nightmare. *shrug*.

My mother in law told me she used to have horrible dreams about her kids when she had them. Dreaming about them getting hurt, kidnapped, killed in the most gruesome fashion, and she was powerless to do anything... If you have something you want to keep safe, you will probably have nightmares about failing to do so.

Though you should probably stop whacking off anyway, you'll go blind doing that.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I always have the wrong ammo or not enough ammo.

ETA: Skydivers have a version of this dream too but it involves parachutes. Funny thing is, no one seems to die in either type of dream.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#22]
My dream is usually one of being disorganized.  By that, I mean that my mags keep falling out and/or the correct caliber ammo is nowhere to be found for the particular gun in hand.  It's like I have a big pile of weapons, but can never seem to get them to function properly.  Frustrating as all hell.

Edit:  Screw it, I'm labeling all my ammo cans so this dream will go away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Every now and again I have a reoccuring dream where my firearm wont fire.  Usually in my dream I am back in Afghanistan and my M4 wont fire even after I rechamber a fresh round.  I can see ugly taliban fighters bearing down on me with rusted AKs and ugly yellow teeth.  I always wake up just as I hear the crack of the AKs firing.  Sometimes like last night I am in a situation where some gangbanger is drawing down on me and my CCW wont fire (its a 1911).  I know dreams are just thoughts your brain strings together into a story.  But it sure freaked out my girlfriend who was laying on me when I jumped out of my bed.  

get a glock and you won't have that dream anymore.    

seriously i've had that dream too, most of any dreams that I ever had involving firearms went well though, front sight and everything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone die in their dream, but the dream keeps going?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Oh yeah...

Another of my dreams is the SHTF somehow (be it a true terror attack or something else, like a robbery...) and I immediately get punked out, shot/killed in the first exchange. But my wife isn't and she's got to figure how how to make do without me in the situation. She's a smart cookie and would likely do well unless the bad guy threw a bug at her. But it still sucks - very anticlimactic - that I go out so quickly after practicing and preparing myself as much as I can for that situation.

Anyway, yeah, I have had that one too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Has not happened to me.  If I die in a dream, or come close, and I do not wake up from it, I usually just switch to a completely different dream.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I never had any misfires in my dreams until I started shooting old .303 surplus crap in my Enfield.  Somehow that carried over into my dreams and I always end up with a click-bang or misfire when I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I have dreams like that quite frequently. Either the gun won't fire, I can pull the trigger because it's so "tight", I'll pump a bunch of rounds into someone and it has no effect...

Same thing with beating someone with my bare hands... where I just keep hitting and they just take it with no effect.

I frickin hate those dreams.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I have this dream weekly.

A friend told me that in dreams nothing mechanical will work....light switches, radios, and of course firearms.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The more time I spend with a firearm the less likely it is to malfunction in my dreams.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]
My variations include running out of ammo, or having so many BG's that I'm being over run.

My guns never go down all the way in my dream, they just turn into bolt action and will not strip a round off the mag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Feelings of inadequacy.

Classic and very common.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#34]
i haven't had it in a while, but i used to have a dream where i would be telling someone to stop, but they'd keep coming towards me.  i'd try to pull the trigger on my 590, but it's too heavy.  i check the safety - it's off.  i try racking a new round in the chamber, and i can't.  i don't remember what happens after that...

like i said, i haven't had that dream in a while.  i trust my 590 - it's the most heavily used gun out of all the guns i own.  however, now i  keep my m4 next to my bed now with a mag full of 50 grain hollow points.  maybe it just took a change of HD weapons tog et rid of the dream.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#35]
YEah, I get those dreams alot. Sometimes the trigger gaurd is to small to fit my finger in there. Or the trigger is to hard to pull back. I've had dreams where I had a handfull of ammunition but none of them fit my pistol. I've also had dreams where little airsoft bbs came out of my pistol instead of real rounds. I've had one dream where my AR worked properly, and a few where my pistol did. The one weapon that has Always functioned properly in my dreams is my knife. Something about knives seem to engender a subconsious feeling of reliability.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#36]
My weapon always works, but for some reason it has such a massively heavy trigger pull that I need multiple fingers and heavy pulling even to get it to fire.  Anyone else have something like that?

ETA:  Well just read through it and two of you mention that.  So I'm not crazy.

Also, I have multiple other weapons, including an AR that actually does have consistent jams, but I think I've never had a nightmare about a failure in any of them except for the Walther that has never failed!  Weird, but my perfect Walther fails in the dreams and the the jammy AR works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I haven't had this dream in a long time.  But for a while it was recurring CONSTANTLY.  My gun wouldn't feed, it wouldn't fire, the trigger would be too hard to pull, or, more often than not, the gun would fire and would shoot and shoot and shoot into the attacker with no effect whatsoever.  Literally dozens of these dreams, maybe more.

I've also had several dreams of getting machine-gunned into the back and felt great pain and then dizzyness and think "this is it, I'm dead" then I wake up with a bad backache.

Here is one dream I remember in vivid detail:

For some reason, I knew someone was going to break into my house.  I was sitting up listening, and started to hear someone on the front porch.  I grabbed my shotgun.  Then, the front porch light went out and I could hear breaking glass.  I thought "This is it, the shit's going down..." and racked the slide but it would not work.  Then I grabbed my AR15 and pulled the charging handle back and two rounds popped out of the magazine and jammed.  I cleared that and tried again and the same thing happened again, then again.  I looked close at the gun and the upper & lower were not held firmly together but very loose, as if there was just string holding them together where the takedown pins would normally be.  Then I looked up and the dude was in the house looking at me then I woke up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Two recurring dreams of this nature:

One, my entire family and I are loaded into boxcars along with all the rest of the people headed for the death camp. I am able to somehow break out while the train is underway, get on the roof of the train, grab an MP-40 from a guard, sneak up behind the next guard and pull the trigger. I get this feeling of exultation (like you get when you know you've got something dead-to-rights - like paintball) because he can't see me and I know he's a goner. However, instead of bullets coming out, a stream of multicolored party paper shoots forth. Guard is alerted, a dozen more are coming, I'm hosing paper at them, knowing its not having an effect...dream ends, I wake up. hinking.gif

The other is I have to use my ccw, a Glock 23, and I'm pulling the trigger, but the trigger safety will not give way; another variation of this one had the bullets backwards in the magazine; I'm manually operating the slide and they just keep coming up backwards. While doing this, rounds are bouncing off the wall behind me. As the bad guys are closing in, I'm trying to single load them into the chamber, and it won't close. Dream ends, I wake up...

...but not very rested when these come up...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
This dream is very common among cops.  I had it for years.  I would be trying to pull the trigger and it just got heavier and heavier until i could pull it no harder.  I changed jobs and started carrying a 1911.  The dream immediately went away and I have not had it since.  It basically comes down to how well you trust your weapon to work when it absolutely positively has to work or you're dead.  It appears that it is also common among anyone who carries a firearm for a living.

I have the exact same dream. The double-action trigger pull on my revolver is just too heavy to pull. Funny thing is, I mostly shoot my 1911's and I'm not in LE. So it seems to be somewhat universal and includes those who do not carry for a living and who shoot single-action pistols.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes I have. Many police officers have that sort of dream, so I would imagine any gun owner in general might also dream of that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yes I have. Many police officers have that sort of dream, so I would imagine any gun owner in general might also dream of that sort of thing.

Well, I have never had that type of dream, but last night I woke up with my hart going about 300bpm.  I had been dreaming that someone was tresspassing out in the field and I went to the safe to get a gun and the whole safe was gone, just a big whole in the wall and the wind blowing.  I started screaming an dthrowing crap around and my wife just kept going what? what? what happened?.  At that point I woke up.

Go figure.  especially since in reality if there was a big whole in my wall, it wouldn't be wind coming in, but rather lots of dirt....

Dan
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have this dream weekly.

A friend told me that in dreams nothing mechanical will work....light switches, radios, and of course firearms.

Never had a dream you were driving in a car?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Not a cop, former military or anything. 21YO who just got his CCW. But for years i've had dreams of people attacking me and I will stab them and nothing will happen. Or I will go to pull the trigger and my finger will not be strong enough to pull it, so I have to switch hands to hopefully get it to work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I have never had that type of dream, but last night I woke up with my hart going about 300bpm.  I had been dreaming that someone was tresspassing out in the field and I went to the safe to get a gun and the whole safe was gone, just a big whole in the wall and the wind blowing.  I started screaming an dthrowing crap around and my wife just kept going what? what? what happened?.  At that point I woke up.

Go figure.  especially since in reality if there was a big whole in my wall, it wouldn't be wind coming in, but rather lots of dirt....

Dan

Does your wife move your CCW when you take it off? Like from the table by the front door to the top of the refrigerator?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan

Does your wife move your CCW when you take it off? Like from the table by the front door to the top of the refrigerator?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I have it many times. Except in mine the weapon won't fire no matter how hard I squez the trigger, or if it does go off the bullt has little to no effect to the intended targe, or it makes them angrier than they already were.

Thanks for your service. You have a right to this nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Dan

No, mine goes in the top dresser draw when I take off my pants and goes bakc on when I put them on.  She usually keeps hers in the safe unless she is headed into town.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I had a dream where the gun jammed, but I pistol whipped, gouged, and stabbed the bad guy instead.  Worked out pretty well.

If you were in Afganistan, maybe you have a touch of PTSD.  

Think logically, the odds of having a misfire on the first round are about the same as getting hit by a meteor.  I've had a lot of misfires, stovepipes, jams, etc.  Usually caused by cheap ammo, and dirt.

But the first round always goes down range, and the jam always clears.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top