BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 4:44:26 AM EDT
Teacher Banned After Ripping Out Boy's Insulin Pump

School Officials: Teacher Thought Pump Was Cell Phone

POSTED: 4:24 pm EDT October 4, 2005
UPDATED: 8:25 am EDT October 5, 2005

A substitute teacher in Lake County, Fla., was terminated and banned from teaching in the county after he ripped out a student's insulin pump during class apparently thinking it was a ringing cell phone, according to a Local 6 News report.

Officials said a ninth-grade student at East Ridge High School, who is a Type I diabetic, was in class Monday when his insulin pump began to beep, indicating he was low on insulin.

MOST POPULAR: 'Murata Boy' -- World's First Bike-Riding Robot

Witnesses said the class teacher, Richard Maline, 51, asked the student what the beeping was.

School officials said Maline then grabbed the device, thinking it was a cell phone beeping and detached the tube that connects the insulin pump to the student's leg.

The student went to the school's clinic and had the tube reinserted.

Lake County school officials then acted quickly and terminated Maline, Local 6 reporter Louis Bolden said.

"This is a very serious incident," Lake County schools spokesman Russell Anderson said. "Our substitute teachers, we provide them training on the behavior we expect of them in the classrooms. When they do something as serious as this, we don't hesitate to remove them from being a substitute teacher."

Maline told Local 6 News off camera that his is an unfortunate situation.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident and trying to determine if there was any criminal intent.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Substitute comes in, doesn't know shit about the class, and tries to be a badass.  Happens a lot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Public school teachers should follow one simple rule:

Don't touch kids or their stuff.

IBT In-my-day-our-teachers-would-put-out-lit-cigs-
on-us-for-breathing-funny crowd.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Kids need to be touched.

Especially with paddles.

Because kids need discipline, whether people like it or not.

Still, this guy was WAAAAAAAAAAY out of line. You ask for an explanation of the beeping sound. You investigate to see whether or not the kid is telling the truth. THEN you take action. You don't just go ripping at stuff, because there actually ARE insulin pumps, heart monitors, and other things that sick kids have attatched to them to allow them to function in normal life. If the kid says it is an insulin pump and it isn't, then you break bad on the kid.

A simple call to the front office could have cleared everything up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, look at that guy, he probably ripped it out because he knew he was going to need it in a few years for type II diabetes.

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Considering this is my job (removing cell phones everyday), I'll comment.

Teaching is the same as anywhere in public.  Touch someone, other than in self-defense or defense of another, and you're looking at a lawsuit.

You still can DEMAND that they turn it over to you or the principal.  At least that way they are out of class.

It's not easy in public schools.  Kids these days are just plain evil.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah.  Cause there's nothing in between beatings and torture and standing by like a ineffectual lump while some kid acts like a angry chimp in class.

This dude though is a moron, morons usually weed themselves out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe this made the news.  A lot of bad things happen around here in schools, but the schools are very skilled at keeping the media from finding-out about it.  One example, my great-great-nephew got cut badly by another student that had a knife, and it didn't make the news.z
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I wasn't aware Comic Book Store Guy was substitute teaching:

ETA: See post above w/ pics!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

img317.imageshack.us/img317/2906/comic1az.png

img82.imageshack.us/img82/5346/5056777240x1807wa.jpg

Uh, you're about 10 minutes too late.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img317.imageshack.us/img317/2906/comic1az.png

img82.imageshack.us/img82/5346/5056777240x1807wa.jpg

Uh, you're about 10 minutes too late.

Damn! I can't ever seem to get in first on these things :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think that is part of the problem these days.

Back "in-my-day" our coaches paddled an entire 50 man PE class for not changing into our gym clothes fast enough.  The only reprocussions from that was we got 10 min. more play in from then on.  Some guys even came to school with their gym clothes on under their regular clothes.

I think a little fear of physical retribution is healthy.  Once that has been removed, the punks will run roughshod over you.  Like what is happening in public schools these days.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids need to be touched.

Especially with paddles.

Still, this guy was WAAAAAAAAAAY out of line. You ask for an explanation of the beeping sound. You investigate to see whether or not the kid is telling the truth. THEN you take action. You don't just go ripping at stuff, because there actually ARE insulin pumps, heart monitors, and other things that sick kids have attatched to them to allow them to function in normal life. If the kid says it is an insulin pump and it isn't, then you break bad on the kid.

A simple call to the front office could have cleared everything up.

Exactly

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Kids need to be touched.

Especially with paddles.

I have no problems with how parent's decide to dicipline
their kids. I just don't want some public school lackey to
make those decisions for them.

Additionally, there is NO need to hit a kid in school. There
are MANY ways to dicipline and to "get tough" without
smacking someone around. The real problem is that libs
have made it so that any dicipline AT ALL is tantamount
to abuse.

A Darwinistic approach to teaching would do wonders and
you would never have to touch the little scumbags.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Cause there's nothing in between beatings and torture and standing by like a ineffectual lump while some kid acts like a angry chimp in class.

Thanks for noticing that I was being hyperbolic.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oops!

My first thought, too!

Sorry, but the guy's an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wherever people are responsible for children, they ought to have the power to discipline children. Paddling doesn't have to be the only form of discipline, but it should be in the toolbox if needed.

to abuse.

No, the real problem is that there are so many people who have swallowed the libbie kool-aide that they think that there is no need to hit a kid in school.

Some kids need a good whoopin.

Physical discipline is done in the hopes of correcting the child so that they don't turn into little scumbags. It is a drastic action, but sometimes that drastic action fixes problems.

It is not the panacea of discipline, but corporal punishment should be one of the options available as it suits the situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Worst. Teacher. Ever.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

PS.  And to any semi-retarded babysitters reading this thread, I am not talking about you.

LMAO
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Just an honest mistake, no kid died, what's the big fuss?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Too anybody advocating teachers physically punishing students, any teacher ever even BREATHES on my kids and there is going to be a serious ass kicking.  Self-defense and protecting other kids is obviously another situation.  Teacher's have no more right to physical aggression against kids then anyone else.  Its called assault.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wherever people are responsible for children, they ought to have the power to discipline children. Paddling doesn't have to be the only form of discipline, but it should be in the toolbox if needed.

to abuse.

No, the real problem is that there are so many people who have swallowed the libbie kool-aide that they think that there is no need to hit a kid in school.

Some kids need a good whoopin.

Physical discipline is done in the hopes of correcting the child so that they don't turn into little scumbags. It is a drastic action, but sometimes that drastic action fixes problems.

It is not the panacea of discipline, but corporal punishment should be one of the options available as it suits the situation.

The problem with that is that I am not going to trust anyone's judgement other then my own when it comes to touching my kids.  Yes there might be times when a kid deserves and needs a whoopin, but I have no way of knowing or trusting the judgement of ALL the teachers my kid is ever going to have, I have no way of knowing they are not some asshole or some sick pervert.  Touch my kids and I'll be touching you, period.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#26]
The only way that I can even see how corporeal (sp?) punishment could or should even be legal is if the parents specifically authorize it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#28]
IN grade school, I remember getting a crack on the ass with a paddle..  Why, because I was screwing off and being disruptive.  When I got home and my parents found out, I got grounded for screwing off.  Guess what,  after that, I didnt do it again.   I would say it worked out as intended.  This wasn't too long ago ( mid 80's )
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Too anybody advocating teachers physically punishing students, any teacher ever even BREATHES on my kids and there is going to be a serious ass kicking.  Self-defense and protecting other kids is obviously another situation.  Teacher's have no more right to physical aggression against kids then anyone else.  Its called assault.

Not in Texas, it's not.

If your child reaches the level of disruption that he/she needs to be physically restrained or removed, a teacher has every right to do so.

All chest thumping aside, if you do your job at home, then there will never be an issue.

TRG

I agree with you.  What I don't agree with is a teacher laying a hand on a student because they are talking in class or their phone rings.  If the kid is throwing desks around then that is different.  However, the problem is that once you open the door it becomes a judgement call for the teacher, and I don't know about you but I have known my share of educators who where really lacking in that area.  If there is a problem, call the police and have them deal with it.  If the student is a physical threat to someone else then that is different.  My son / daughter should not ever feel physically intimidated by any adult other then myself.  There are too many scum-bags and perverts out there and my kids will be taught to treat any physical intimidation by an adult with extreme prejudice.  Touch my daughter in school and prepare to get fucking pepper sprayed.

I believe in discipline.  I just don't believe in other adults touching my children.  If my kids need their ass whooped, then I'm gonna be doing the whoopin.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Texas, it's not.

If your child reaches the level of disruption that he/she needs to be physically restrained or removed, a teacher has every right to do so.

All chest thumping aside, if you do your job at home, then there will never be an issue.

TRG

No shit.

I was raised that if I got in trouble at school, I was in trouble when I got home.
The spanking from my Dad was a far worse punishment than any paddling I got at school. It didn't matter to my Dad.
One of the best lessons of my life was a spanking I got for something that happened at school, that I was not involved in.
My Dad spanked me and later, he told me that he believed my story.......but I got in trouble with him for putting myself in a position that someone thought I was doing something wrong.
I felt it was wrong for a long time.........Well I was wrong and he was right. That lesson has served me very well over the years.

Name me one time the entire time you were in public school you saw a teacher punish a student that was doing their work and not being disruptive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#32]
If you want to allow other people to beat on your kid, then that is your choice and it is none of my business.  

I don't want people touching my children, I think its a pretty damn reasonable request.  Do not confuse this with a lack of belief in discipline.  As a matter of principle nobody will be touching my children.  If anybody does ever lay a hand on my kids and the law won't do anything about it, then I will.  

If my kids turn out to be shitheads (wont happen) then expell their asses from school.  DON'T lay a damn finger on them.  That's my job.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you.  What I don't agree with is a teacher laying a hand on a student because they are talking in class or their phone rings.  If the kid is throwing desks around then that is different.  However, the problem is that once you open the door it becomes a judgement call for the teacher, and I don't know about you but I have known my share of educators who where really lacking in that area.  If there is a problem, call the police and have them deal with it.  If the student is a physical threat to someone else then that is different.  My son / daughter should not ever feel physically intimidated by any adult other then myself.  There are too many scum-bags and perverts out there and my kids will be taught to treat any physical intimidation by an adult with extreme prejudice.  Touch my daughter in school and prepare to get fucking pepper sprayed.

I believe in discipline.  I just don't believe in other adults touching my children.  If my kids need their ass whooped, then I'm gonna be doing the whoopin.

It sounds like we are on the same page about this.  I agree that many faculty excercise poor judgement.  Keep in mind, most public school faculty are women.  They tend to use emotion, rather than logic, when dealing with stress.

Some of the male faculty are enamored with raising thier voice to intimidate.

Neither approach works.

I have used physical restraint only a handful of times in 11+ years of teaching in both middle and high school.  Most of the time, a calm, rational, authoritative manner was all that was necessary.  Calm in the face of mayhem has an odd effect on disruptive/abusive/violent students.

If you remain calm, they lose their nerve.

And when it was time to place my hands on a student, I had witnesses (faculty/staff/teachers) present to back me up.

TRG

PS. And a great legal staff through the TSTA.

I have no problem with that.  I do have a problem with teacher's getting in trouble for protecting themselves against shit-head kids.   Violent kids is a entirely different situation.    Another thing that gets me just as fired up is how dangerous a proffession teaching has become in many places.  Of course, no one wants to do anything to help the teachers out on this.  But know that there are people out there that appreciate deeply the good educators out there like yourself that care about the kids and are not complete idiots (most teachers are good).  One thing I have noticed is that being around kids all day does have an effect on the maturity level of some people.  

Anyway, thank you for your service, because what you do is VERY important and very underappreciated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If my kids turn out to be shitheads (wont happen) then expell their asses from school.  DON'T lay a damn finger on them.  That's my job.

I disagree with you, but I believe that to be reasonable request.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BWAWWWWHAHAHA...

Aside from that I don't eve know what to say about this one. Sounds like the sub was wound a little too tight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I was raised that if I got in trouble at school, I was in trouble when I got home.
The spanking from my Dad was a far worse punishment than any paddling I got at school. It didn't matter to my Dad.
One of the best lessons of my life was a spanking I got for something that happened at school, that I was not involved in.
My Dad spanked me and later, he told me that he believed my story.......but I got in trouble with him for putting myself in a position that someone thought I was doing something wrong.
I felt it was wrong for a long time.........Well I was wrong and he was right. That lesson has served me very well over the years.

Name me one time the entire time you were in public school you saw a teacher punish a student that was doing their work and not being disruptive.

My folks were the same way. But they also went to bat for me whenever they thought that the school/officials/teachers were not being "fair" (of course USUALLY I was fully capable of dealing w/the issue myself, and they never even knew there WAS an issue. )

I think the time that means the most to me NOW, was when I applied for early placement into Algebra. It had always been a 9th grade class, but they were offering ONE class for "advanced" students. I was "overlooked" because although I averaged a "C" - that was ONLY because I REFUSED to EVER do homework, IF I fully understood HOW to do it. If it was "new" and I was unsure - sure I'd do it. But doing something that, IMO, I'd just ace - seemed like a waste of time. And I don't like to do that. Even the instructor who was familiar w/me suggested to the other teacher that I SHOULD be in the class.

I pulled all the strings _I_ could, then I had to draw the "parent" card. They "handled" it. I've no idea what was said, I know the "lawyer" card was played. I not only got INTO the class, but I did better than over 1/2 of the "hand-picked" students.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Dumbshit just bought his house a little over a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#39]
What a retard. Me thinks the lawyers are circling already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top