Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 4:13:27 AM EDT
I see a lot of people that place their hand over there heart when they play the national anthem. I was taught that you do this for the pledge. I dont care either way but got into a small discussion with a buddy when I told him it was not required. Opinions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
not required but a good idea.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]
i do.

it's a shame that some people don't even stand up anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I just remove my hat and stand at attention.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as you are on your feet, hat off, facing the flag, then I will not have the urge to kick YOUR ASS!  But feel free to put your hand over your heart.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As long as you are on your feet, hat off, facing the flag, then I will not have the urge to kick YOUR ASS!  But feel free to put your hand over your heart.

Yeah, what he said.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
God, it never occurred to me to NOT place my hand, or hat, over my heart during the National Anthem.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with you jcncc.  I only do it for the Pledge.  

The overall majority of the time I ever heard the National Anthem growing was when I was playng football.  We all put our helmets under our right arms.

Nowadays, if I am wearing a cap, I'll remove it and place it over my heart.  If I'm not wearing a cap, I stand at attention.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just stand up, shut up, face the flag, and take off your mother f*cking hat.

(Unless the hat is part of a uniform that you should be wearing.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I follow the US Code.

I don’t do it because I should.  I do it because it’s the right thing and becasue I want to.  There are no other options in my world.

www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode36/usc_sec_36_00000301----000-.html

U.S. CODE Title 36, Subtitle 1, Part A, Chapter 3, Sec. 301

National Anthem

(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the
headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i have been known to shout "TAKE YOU DAMN HAT OFF".

but then i take my hat off indoors without being told.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top