Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 3:54:55 AM EDT
For some reason I googled "draw down" and found this, it's been around since 1973!

www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/draw_down_on_someone/

draw down (on someone) v. phr. to reveal or display a firearm and point it at another person; to draw or get a bead on someone.

Categories: English

Citations: 1973 Steve Emmons L.A. Times (Sept. 9) “On Patrol: Weekend of Wrecks That Wasn’t” p. OC6: I thought I was gaining on the guy. I drew down on him, then I thought I don’t have a good enough reason to kill him and stopped. Then I saw it wasn’t the man I was after.

1977 Chicago Tribune (Nov. 8) “10 wounded in one-hour gun spree” (in New Orleans, La.) p. 1: They drew down on him and shouted “Freeze!” and he decided to give up.

1981 Don Hayden Daily Oklahoman (Dec. 23) “Cross-Examination Fails to Alter Skiatook Murder Suspect’s Story”: He still had the gun and could have drawn down on me at any time.

1982 N.Y. Times (Feb. 18) “Miami Judge Trades Shots With a Suspect” (in Miami, Fla.): I drew down on him, but I couldn’t shoot because the victim was in the way.

1983 Kevin Boland @ Minneapolis, Minn. Globe and Mail (Toronto, Can.) (July 9) “The good and bad of being there” p. S3: I guess if you live the life of a gunslinger, well, you always watch your back. You never know who might be drawin’ down on you.

1990 [Bob Kirkpatrick] Usenet: misc.legal (Dec. 15) “Let’s arm Joe and Jane!”: This doof locked and loaded with no prior discussion. My response was to draw down on him. There we stood in a dumb-ass Mexican standoff.

1996 Bill Morris Greensboro News & Record (N.C.) (Jan. 4) “Face-Off With Hege Draws Ruling” p. A1: He jumped out and drew down on me, pointed his gun at me. It looked like a silver .357 Magnum revolver.

1998 [TX Pyro] Usenet: tx.guns (Sept. 26) “Laser Pointers and Kids”: She asked what I meant when I said “draw down on him.” I responded that some people get scared if they see a laser dot on them. They may, respond with a gun and take action if they believe that their life is threatened.

2005 Xeni Jardin @ New Orleans Boing Boing (Sept. 13) “Katrina: a cameraman’s journal in NOLA”: Over and over you hear the same thing….”They just drawin’ down on people”, meaning they are pulling their guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top