Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:37:31 PM EDT
I have been interested in falconry since I was a little kid.  I'm 34 now and one of my buddies just captured his first red-tail this weekend and I'm thinkin' now would be as good a time as any to get started.  I also found out there is a pretty serious falconer about two streets over from me as well.

Seems like an extremely interesting hobby and would be fun to hunt starlings, sparrows and rabbits with a hawk.  My only concern is that I travel sometimes and it seems like an every day sort of thing,  and making arrangements for when I travel might be a pain but with a guy right around the corner we might be able to work something out.

If anyone has any experience with it I'd appreciate the insight and advice.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It involves birds with little hoods on their heads.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It involves birds with little hoods on their heads.

You DICK!!! I was gonna use that line!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
so thats what a vole looks like.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have been interested in falconry since I was a little kid.  I'm 34 now and one of my buddies just captured his first red-tail this weekend and I'm thinkin' now would be as good a time as any to get started.  I also found out there is a pretty serious falconer about two streets over from me as well.

Seems like an extremely interesting hobby and would be fun to hunt starlings, sparrows and rabbits with a hawk.  My only concern is that I travel sometimes and it seems like an every day sort of thing,  and making arrangements for when I travel might be a pain but with a guy right around the corner we might be able to work something out.

If anyone has any experience with it I'd appreciate the insight and advice.....

Did he have special permission to do so, I don't believe it's legal to just capture one..
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]

what can you tell me about falconry?  

It's for the birds
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself a super quality glove because "talons" will zip though a heavy welding glove like a hot knife through butter.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
 Someone I know was into it years ago. At that time you had to serve as an Apprentice to an established Falconer for quite a few years before you could get the permits to possess a Bird of Prey. It is / was a FULL TIME job / hobby, as in several hours per day, every day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
PULL!  Bam, BAM!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
He's already got his apprentice permit and has a sponsor so he was good-to-go to capture one. He passed the apprentice test and went on several captures before he got his.    it's a really good natured bird though and is already eating on the fist and making short hops from the perch to his fist for food after just a couple of days.  

He also mentioned that he's been punctured a couple of times from the talons finding a seam in his glove and going right through the seams.

I'm curious about how long each day is spent with the birds and stuff like that.  He's an apprentice and spending LOTS of time acclimating it right now but I'm curious about the long term. I can't see having to spend 10 hours a day with those things forever though
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Do the chickens have large talons?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry crash BUT you don't sound like the type that needs to do this. You ARE looking at large chunks of every day FOREVER. IF you are this uncertain now, don't do it.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
It's teh ghey!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]
According to the Falcnoer at Dunrobin Castle in Scotland, he only asks his birds to fly every other day.  He said to do more would be like asking a marathoner to do 26 mile marathons on back to back days.

While you could do it, you wouldn't be at the top of your game.

It is quite and interesting sporting quest.  Though I believe it would take far more time to commit than you seem to have based on your post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top