Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 1:54:24 PM EDT
As above.  

Want something practical and affordable, what would you guys recommend?

Pump or semi-auto?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
semi.

benelli m1s90
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick a Benelli Autoloader.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington 870 Marine Magnum
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you want to do?  Be competitve/win, or reinforce sound tactics & training.  the tools and tactics used to win the match as not the same you use to survive a gunfight.

What you should use is the same SGN & ammo you currently use for self defense, and shoot the course tactically correct.  Dont run the gun dry, always top off from behind cover, no reduced power loads, don't cheat cover, dont move into the open until you are sure the threat is down and have scanned for other threats, ect. Of course you will come in dead last if you do that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Benelli M3; its both AUTO & pump. Plus the auto setting is wicked fast! I think NASA uses it as well....and they dont mess around.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Benelli M1 Tactical with a tube extension.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Didnt we just do this thread?

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

11/87 Comp Master...if you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
A saiga will put you in open class with the race-guns.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Benelli M3; its both AUTO & pump. Plus the auto setting is wicked fast! I think NASA uses it as well....and they dont mess around.

NASA uses it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Remington 870.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Start with a pawnshop $150-$200 Remington 1100 or Remington 870.  Put a $35 tacstar mag extension and maybe a $25 sidesaddle on it and shoot a couple of matches.   Ask folks to let you shoot their Benelli's or tricked out 1100/1187's, browning golds, etc.  Find what you like and make an informed purchase.   You may find that the cheapo 1100 or 870 does the trick for you.  I personally use a Benelli M1 super 90 and love it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington 11-87. That's what the top guys use, there's all sorts of parts for them, and you don't have to worry about adding weight to the gun as with the recoil operated shotties.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NASA uses it?

Space Shuttle Door Gunners are issued them as a back up weapon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NASA uses it?

Yep.

The door gunner on the Shuttle carries one as a backup.

Holy shit...Gunslinger, I must've been typing while you were posting.  I'm gonna leave it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NASA uses it?

Yep.

The door gunner on the Shuttle carries one as a backup.

Holy shit...Gunslinger, I must've been typing while you were posting.  I'm gonna leave it.

Great minds and all  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah, nothing slows my 3 gun score like when I have to unload my conventional auto to take out the gas rounds and exchange them for full powered buck loads during a stage.

Nothing like overkill, when the guys asked for a practical/affordable weapon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a 590DA1.  Not the cheapest and no where near the most expensive.  My sweeper of choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I can shoot a pump faster then most people can shoot an auto loader - judging by what I see at the matches.

I've missed the last pin on a bowling pin match.. had to pull a shell out of a box that was on the table... and still took 2nd place.

Nothing wrong with a pump.....I'll use a Mossberg 500 and shoot against anyone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Winchester 1897..........go old school.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I can shoot a pump faster then most people can shoot an auto loader - judging by what I see at the matches

Same here.  I won in the Open Div once.  Even I have a hard time believing it...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I can shoot a pump faster then most people can shoot an auto loader - judging by what I see at the matches.

I've missed the last pin on a bowling pin match.. had to pull a shell out of a box that was on the table... and still took 2nd place.

Serious question:  Do you think YOU'D be faster with an auto than your pump?

There's a good deal of "buying a good game" in shooting, just like with golf.

Taking a Bennelli out of the box doesn't mean you can use it well, even if NASA kicks ass with it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious question:  Do you think YOU'D be faster with an auto than your pump?

There's a good deal of "buying a good game" in shooting, just like with golf.

Taking a Bennelli out of the box doesn't mean you can use it well, even if NASA kicks ass with it.

One difference is that I trust my pump.....

auto's are cool for skeet or clays......

I've ref'ed at the World Sporting Clays Tourney 3 or 4 years here.... I've seen more autos jam that I can remember...... I would NEVER use an auto for 'serious' work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, nothing slows my 3 gun score like when I have to unload my conventional auto to take out the gas rounds and exchange them for full powered buck loads during a stage.

I dont know....I've never had to "switch" ammo to use the AUTO function. You see the Benelli is not  "gas" gun; its an innertia system.  I use reduced recoil rounds ALL the time & have had ZERO problems. Its a self adjusting system, seriously look it up online.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

Saigas rule.  I can unload my 8rd mags faster than just about any other shot gun I have tried.  If you practice mag changes their not slow.  You just have to have a good mag change method down.  I don't understand why you roll your eyes at a very fast stone cold reliable shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know....I've never had to "switch" ammo to use the AUTO function. You see the Benelli is not  "gas" gun; its an innertia system.  I use reduced recoil rounds ALL the time & have had ZERO problems. Its a self adjusting system, seriously look it up online.

I'm funin' ya.

I know how Benellis work, hence my jab that my "conventional" auto requires me to lose time switching between gas loads and buckshot.

I don't need to look anything up.

A main M3's selling point is you can cycle both types, low powered rounds can be shucked with the pump, while standard ammo will cycle the intertia recoil action.

The only serious point of my post is that he asked for an economical way to get int the sport, you pointed him to an expensive gun that he may not need the features of.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's probably not affordable...and practical, well kinda looks like it.  But this is what I recommend!  

img.military.com/Shock/videos.do;jsessionid=78393700D45C648247DBB33742387947?displayContent=68693
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Depends on your budget and other uses. If this shotgun will be solely for competition I would recommend:

Benelli M1 Practical
Remington 11-87 Competition Master
Winchester SX2 Practical

Personally, I like Benelli, but that is a personal preference.

SBG
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

Saigas rule.  I can unload my 8rd mags faster than just about any other shot gun I have tried.  If you practice mag changes their not slow.  You just have to have a good mag change method down.  I don't understand why you roll your eyes at a very fast stone cold reliable shotgun.
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pistolfodder/IMG_0081.jpg

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=186997
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

I don't care what some think.  A saiga is faster for me than any other shotty.  Mag changes can be done very fast with practice.  The reason you don't see them alot in competition is there just isn't a lot of them out there especially with EAA not importing them.  I'm not trying to start a pissing contest.  I don't feel the need to "prove" my point by finding someone who has won a 3-gun match with one.  I do know however that Saigas are the fastest shottie for me until I run out of loaded mags, but that's a lot of fucking shot shells.

If it doesn't work for you that's great, but it does for me.  Is that link supposed to prove something to me?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
As above.  

Want something practical and affordable, what would you guys recommend?

Pump or semi-auto?

And now for an actual answer to your question:  I'd go with a Remington 870 Express Synthetic with 7-round capacity.  I'm thinking $350, or less.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#31]
you're going to get a jillion guys bumping for 870s.  super shotgun.  borrow a well-used winchester 1300 defender or black shadow with extended mag and tell me which one you'd prefer.  winchester has a better bolt-lockup system which is smoother and quicker than remington's action.  having shot numerous 3 gun matches, i have to emphasize you have to FINISH for the score to COUNT.  

stay away from mossbergs unless you like a particularly difficult to cycle action.  they're not bad shotguns, but you can get better for the same money, and they're slow to cycle.  apples/oranges.  go to your local gunshop and check 'em all out.  then try well-used units.  

i defy you to find a shooter at the range who won't let you run a few rounds through his shotgun...

that's my .02...

cheers!

keep shooting!  the best gunner is the one who practices most.  always....

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

I don't care what some think.  A saiga is faster for me than any other shotty.  Mag changes can be done very fast with practice.  The reason you don't see them alot in competition is there just isn't a lot of them out there especially with EAA not importing them.  I'm not trying to start a pissing contest.  I don't feel the need to "prove" my point by finding someone who has won a 3-gun match with one.  I do know however that Saigas are the fastest shottie for me until I run out of loaded mags, but that's a lot of fucking shot shells.

If it doesn't work for you that's great, but it does for me.  Is that link supposed to prove something to me?

Actually the other reason you dont see many of them out there is that they have no bolt hold open. To important of a feature to just do without. Load your 8 round mag, and one in the chamber and shoot 10 rounds and see what is faster, an 11/87 with a bolt hold open or your mag change. Or shoot one load one. It will be no contest.

I am not doubting how fast they cycle, or that they shoot well.  Just not my cup of tea!
Take care
CH
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBT "Saigas rule" crowd

Actually the other reason you dont see many of them out there is that they have no bolt hold open. To important of a feature to just do without. Load your 8 round mag, and one in the chamber and shoot 10 rounds and see what is faster, an 11/87 with a bolt hold open or your mag change. Or shoot one load one. It will be no contest.

I am not doubting how fast they cycle, or that they shoot well.  Just not my cup of tea!
Take care
CH

There is a bolt hold open device that was made for non-converted saigas, but is a add on part so it doesn't come standard.  You have to modify it to make it work for a converted saiga.  There are people who have done this with good success.  I wouldn't know how and I'm sure the part would cost me an arm and a leg.  Just go to saiga forum and ask around and your bound to hear from someone who has the bolt hold open feature.  I wish I was more mechanically inclined.  My best friend did my conversion for me.  I just started Dental School so I will have to learn eventually to be inclined, but have been told it just coms with practice.

Now to the topic at hand.  I prefer Winchester shotties to 870's though I wish they had steel recievers like 870's.  The last 870 I had was plagued with extraction issues but that is not the norm.  Benelli's are friggen nice but pricey.  The only reason my Saiga was so cheap was I bought it for $200 right before they stopped importing them.  So if you want a pump my vote is for winchester defender.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Put a decent set of iron sights on whichever shotgun you already have, sight it in, and go shooting. By the second or third match, you'll know what you need. BTW... the 3 gunners I know all complain that the Benelli kicks too much. If you want high-tech, they're shooting Winchester SX-2s...

Bob
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]

I found a Benelli M1S90 at a local gunshop for $575 OTD.

I wasn't in a hurry and looked for about 8 mos.

There are decent prices out there, if you're not in a hurry, you'll find it.

btw, I have an 870 reworked by (formerly) Scattergun Technologies.

Both are fine choices

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top