Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 1:15:47 PM EDT
So when folks used to get a bounty on indian scalps, what part was turned in, & how was it identified as really the right part?

I ask my question bassed on the idea that from my understanding that just a small part of the scalp was all that was taken in a scalping. So if there was a bounty on scalps, why wouldn't a fellow have killed the person scalped & devided the whole scalp into many right sized pieces & sold them as a bunch of scalps instead of one per scalping?

I know that's a weird freaking question, but doggonit, I have wondered this for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the Frenchies invented it as a bounty proof system.

The problem with ears is obvious, fraudulently doubling the kill count.

Logically, then, if that's why they went with scalps, it must have been a big enough piece to prevent dividing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer, as I've heard it, is that you just stumbled upon the twofer, threefer and possible fourfer one scam that they were running.

You could also dye a white woman's scalped hair black (or it could've been natural, or even a chinese person).  Probably much easier to kill than a brave.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone has whorl of hair at the back or their head and only one. That's the part worth money.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They took the topknot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Factoring in inflation, Gook ears are a much better investment than Indian scalps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They took the topknot.

I've seen actual photos where the scalp on the forehead was taken, at least by the plains indians.

I read in Mystic warriors of the plains, that while an indian held onto a scalp, everything he owned became community property. Once it was taken down & burried he was able to keep his own goods again. It was a way to keep an enemy from entering the next life.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Everyone has whorl of hair at the back or their head and only one. That's the part worth money.

Some have two, at least my son and daughter do.  Patty PS I think there some questions we just do not need to know the answer too.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some have two, at least my son and daughter do.  Patty PS I think there some questions we just do not need to know the answer too.  

I never said I needed to know, just that I was interested or curious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have two. Stupid double cowlick makes my hair very unruly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have two. Stupid double cowlick makes my hair very unruly.

That makes you worth twice as much on the scalp market! Aren't you special.

Cowlick actually means the spot where the cow licked you. It's becasue they lick food with a swirl of their tongues. You got licked twice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The problem with ears is obvious, fraudulently doubling the kill count.

Actually only the ear from one side count.  
I believe only the left ear counts in most cases.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top