Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:57:29 AM EDT
It seems whenever I am around the kind of people who watch Nascar, they always pronounce the word "across" with a heavy "T" sound at the end?

What is the reason for this?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Because it annoys yankees.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
 Why you axing that?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
prolly fer the same reason you carpet bagging yankee motherfuckers say "pahk the cah"...hahahahaha

just a regional dialect.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably for the same reason they say "dreckly". As in "directly". As in "You go on insert direction and/or location, I'll be along dreckly".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That’s nothing.  I’ve heard engineers and landscape architects saying “heighth”.

I tease them asking if they mean diagonal...like a cross between height and width.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The same reason we say "fixin'". "I'm fixin' to go to the store" or when somebody asked us to do something and we reply " I'm fixin' ta" . That's the way we talk.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Probably for the same reason they say "dreckly". As in "directly". As in "You go on insert direction and/or location, I'll be along dreckly".

..blaoljafk;l'
cg
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because it annoys yankees.

x2.

Same reason we say "fahr", instead of fire.  Ya'll got a problem?  Git on outta here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#10]
They ain't saying acrost their saying aww Christ another dam yankee..
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Eh?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Because by the time you figger out what we just said, we done busted you acrost the face.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
When your mouth is crammed full with pecan waffles, and there's nary a can of Busch Light to be had - how in the fuck else are you supposed to say "across"?

Goddamn the cultural insensitivity of this place sometimes!  

PATIENCE!  Just give them some time - they'll get better!

If I make it another week without getting banned it'll be a miracle!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
They are spitting the chew juice out when they say it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]

"Aorta"

Aorta cut the grass so the kids can play in the field.

"Mayonaise"

Mayonaise alotta' people up in here tonight!

"Initiate"

My mom ate two hamburgers... initiate a bag of chips.

"European"

Hey dude turn the other way european on my boots!

"Widga-dija"

You didn't bring yer truck widga-dija?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I say "heighth" all of the time and I am not a redneck by
any stretch of the immagination. It did take my move to
to the northeast for me to lose a couple of Ohioisms,
such as "warsh" (wash) and "tin" (ten).

It does annoy me to no end when people say "bolth"
(both)...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]
How about "I seen over there in the corner."?  Or, "He come up the road..."?  Or, "She done went to town."?  Really nice Clark.

Blake  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They are spitting the chew juice out when they say it.bestsmileys.com/rude/10.gif

It's chaw son, chaw.  Not chew.  That's what you do with food.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Because by the time you figger out what we just said, we done busted you acrost the face.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When you're mouth is crammed full with pecan waffles, and there's nary a can of Busch Light to be had - how in the fuck else are you supposed to say "across"?

Goddamn the cultural insensitivity of this place sometimes!  

If I make it another week with out getting banned I'll be amazed!

Don’t confuse self-important with relevance.

You won't get banned... people don't pay you that much attention.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
prolly fer the same reason you carpet bagging yankee motherfuckers say "pahk the cah"...hahahahaha

just a regional dialect.

Damn thats funny!

Why don't we go sit on the davenport?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"Aorta"

Aorta cut the grass so the kids can play in the field.

"Mayonaise"

Mayonaise alotta' people up in here tonight!

"Initiate"

My mom ate two hamburgers... initiate a bag of chips.

"European"

Hey dude turn the other way european on my boots!

"Widga-dija"

You didn't bring yer truck widga-dija?

safari

"Hey how that new quarterback doing"
"Not too good, safari done threw 2 innerceptions"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Don’t confuse self-important with relevance.

You won't get banned... people don't pay you that much attention.

Once again in english please?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Why do Yankees call soda or coke "POP"?

It does not go pop when opened, It goes whooosh, fizzle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why do Yankees call soda or coke "POP"?

It does not go pop when opened, It goes whooosh, fizzle.

It is a ghey thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That’s nothing.  I’ve heard engineers and landscape architects saying “heighth”.

I tease them asking if they mean diagonal...like a cross between height and width.

perhaps they meant highth

I love when people get high and mighty about a language which is evolving and changing as we speak.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

perhaps they meant highth

I love when people get high and mighty about a language which is evolving and changing as we speak.

Even Homer Simpsons "Doh!" is in some dictionaries.
Slang and mispronunciation are not proper English.  They're a sign of poor education.  That's part of why you'll never hear a national newscaster talk like that.  Not that they are necessarily the most intelligent people but they have to speak proper English.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Same reason we say:                                       You say:

I recon                                                             I guess so

Pert near                                                          damn near, almost

ya'll                                                                  you guys or you'se guys

gots                                                                  got

say what?                                                          excuse me sir, pardon me

yonder                                                              over there, back home

hundrit                                                              hundred

Ya'll folks from Minesoooota and Wisconsin are even worse. WTF is up with Wisconson, you go to a restarant and they ain't gots no sweet tea? WTH, Milk? Why in the hell would I want milk with dinner?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Slang and mispronunciation are not proper English.  They're a sign of poor education.  That's part of why you'll never hear a national newscaster talk like that.  Not that they are necessarily the most intelligent people but they have to speak proper English.

Aww hell, whadda you know 'bout "proper english", you're Canadian!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aww hell, whadda you know 'bout "proper english", you're Canadian!!

Maybe I'm being ethnocentric with our higher literacy rate and all.  Everyone is so damn insensitive around here lately, even me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ya'll folks from Minesoooota and Wisconsin are even worse. WTF is up with Wisconson, you go to a restarant and they ain't gots no sweet tea? WTH, Milk? Why in the hell would I want milk with dinner?

I hate to travel more than 300 miles away from sweet tea and cornbread 'cuz i never know when i mite get a hankerin'.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just ask them to say weight, then ask why don't you say weighth.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Smatter chew, boy?
yaint from round here?
Nope, yarnt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Why do you ax?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Now I be knowing how dem black folks feel!  God tall mighty yes I does!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#37]
For the same reasons townies from Philly say, "youse".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

..blaoljafk;l'
cg

+1! Why the hell do people say "prolly?"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Walmart= Walmarts (as in plural Walmart) "I'm goan ta Walmarts"

Batteries=Battries (syllable removed) "I'm goan ta Walmarts to get battries"

going=goan' (butchered English) see above

must have=musta' (not too much of a stretch)

An earlier poster mentioned improper tenses used in a sentence...a sign of ignorance.  I honestly can't figure out why my fellow Tennesseans resort to bad grammar.

With the exception of the noun "Walmart", southerners typically soften hard vowell sounds and shorten multi-syllabic words.  I actually find the shortened, abreviated words kind of endearing.  Just part of growing up here...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Why do blacks say "acks" and latinos say "meng"?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

OMG. We couldn't ask them to speak proper English now could we...the white man trying to take away part of their heritage. OMG  What is "proper" English?  White english?  Who makes proper english "proper"?

The above are just a few of the comments I can remember hearing in Linguistics Class during my undergrad. work.  for the life of me I can't figure out how I wasn't killed walking to my car after class (by angry mobs of classmates who remain verbally challenged).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Walmart= Walmarts (as in plural Walmart) "I'm goan ta Walmarts"

Batteries=Battries (syllable removed) "I'm goan ta Walmarts to get battries"

going=goan' (butchered English) see above

must have=musta' (not too much of a stretch)

An earlier poster mentioned improper tenses used in a sentence...a sign of ignorance.  I honestly can't figure out why my fellow Tennesseans resort to bad grammar.

With the exception of the noun "Walmart", southerners typically soften hard vowell sounds and shorten multi-syllabic words.  I actually find the shortened, abreviated words kind of endearing.  Just part of growing up here...

It has far less to do with ignorance or education and more to do with regional differences and history.

The earlier poster is wrong on the bad grammar ignorance stuff… go to Harvard and see for yourself.

I for one don’t see the advantage or pleasure in seeing everybody in the country sound like some white bread clone of Ohio. Makes me sick to think about it, thank God for the difference.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Sincuwus=Sincuwus up, get me a (Root) beer!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Do these NASCAR folks also have Ruger license plates on their trucks?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG. We couldn't ask them to speak proper English now could we...the white man trying to take away part of their heritage. OMG  What is "proper" English?  White english?  Who makes proper english "proper"?

The above are just a few of the comments I can remember hearing in Linguistics Class during my undergrad. work.  for the life of me I can't figure out how I wasn't killed walking to my car after class (by angry mobs of classmates who remain verbally challenged).

For a second I thought you were attacking me and was like "are you SERIOUS?!" then I kept reading. It's an uphill battle in colleges, that's for sure. Keep at it.

I still get pissed off at any person saying "of-TEN" or often and "Illinoise" or Illinois (and I'm from MA!)
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Maybe I'm being ethnocentric with our higher literacy rate and all.  Everyone is so damn insensitive around here lately, even me.

take off 'eh

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
to make assholes ask questions

While I am an asshole, that is beyond the scope of the current line of questioning.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Gee I live in NY and talk like a southerner. Not with an accent but my wording is similar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top